What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aitken and the backline

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
he is trash ... a three year deal to him tells us all that the club is out of its depth in the player market.
The club has always struggled with the salary cap due to signing players for stupid amounts and constant 3 year deals, they realised this and brought in Peter Mulholland who started the process of cleaning everything up just as he got going he left for whatever reasons now all of a sudden we are signing up players again to long contracts, why not 2 years for Aitken, why 3, which other clubs were after him, back to square one again...

giboz71

First Grade
Just out of interest, anyone know how Herbert and Garrick went for the Cutters?

Assumed they played? Hopefully they might see some FG later in the year.

GC Dragon

Juniors
The issue for me with Aitken is he looks like a backrower playing centre . You can see he was a forward as a junior and was only moved into the centres in the 20's . He lacks the natural ability that a natural centre like Milne has . In attack Milne looks to create space for his winger and has a great ability to offload . Aitken simply tucks the ball under his arm and runs no matter what is happening around him .

In defence Aitken is slow laterally both physically and mentally to react to what unfolds in front of him . This creates problems with his winger who has to make a split second decision based on his inability to defend properly as a centre .

Milne has the odd problem in defence but that is mainly because he has a ( Matai ) type mentality of wanting to destroy what's in front of him . But with coaching and first grade experience he has the ability pick his mark . Part of Milne's appeal is his ability to intimidate and his fear factor . But at the end of the day he is a centre and a quality coach would enjoying moulding him into what I think could be a class player for a time to come .

I think Aitken could be a very good player in the future but for me his place at the moment is more in the number 17 jumper as a interchange backrower who can play in the backs if absolutely necessary . But for now Milne must come back into the team and let develop a right side combination with McDonald it will take time but I think they could be a lethal right side in the future .

As for the left centre position it really is a no brainer Kurt Mann was on the field for all of about 10 mins playing centre and looked streets ahead of Lafai and Aitken even though he was playing on the right side . Very easy decision for a decent coach .

The other thing we need is some real speed maybe we need to find a spot for a Field or Dufty but a backline with McCrone , Nighty , Lafai , Aitken and Dugan all together is just to slow for first grade . For me Dugan stays the others you can do what you like with .

Frank Facer

First Grade
The issue for me with Aitken is he looks like a backrower playing centre . You can see he was a forward as a junior and was only moved into the centres in the 20's . He lacks the natural ability that a natural centre like Milne has . In attack Milne looks to create space for his winger and has a great ability to offload . Aitken simply tucks the ball under his arm and runs no matter what is happening around him .

In defence Aitken is slow laterally both physically and mentally to react to what unfolds in front of him . This creates problems with his winger who has to make a split second decision based on his inability to defend properly as a centre .

Milne has the odd problem in defence but that is mainly because he has a ( Matai ) type mentality of wanting to destroy what's in front of him . But with coaching and first grade experience he has the ability pick his mark . Part of Milne's appeal is his ability to intimidate and his fear factor . But at the end of the day he is a centre and a quality coach would enjoying moulding him into what I think could be a class player for a time to come .

I think Aitken could be a very good player in the future but for me his place at the moment is more in the number 17 jumper as a interchange backrower who can play in the backs if absolutely necessary . But for now Milne must come back into the team and let develop a right side combination with McDonald it will take time but I think they could be a lethal right side in the future .

As for the left centre position it really is a no brainer Kurt Mann was on the field for all of about 10 mins playing centre and looked streets ahead of Lafai and Aitken even though he was playing on the right side . Very easy decision for a decent coach .

The other thing we need is some real speed maybe we need to find a spot for a Field or Dufty but a backline with McCrone , Nighty , Lafai , Aitken and Dugan all together is just to slow for first grade . For me Dugan stays the others you can do what you like with .
Great post. I agree with every single thing you said.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Just out of interest, anyone know how Herbert and Garrick went for the Cutters?

Assumed they played? Hopefully they might see some FG later in the year.
I was at the Cutters/Penrith match and TBH there was no one there screaming out for FG selection. Dufty reminded me of Quade Cooper with his skip & jump - often to no effect

Last edited: