What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJ (can we retain him)

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
if it comes down to choosing between AJ or GI, then GI should be chosen. GI is a future immortal and it's players like him who are a big part of winning premierships. you don't let players like that go. AJ is good, but he isn't GI good. GI only turned 28 this year, so he could be a world class player for another 6 years after this year. in saying that though, i hope we can keep both

World class playerfor another 6 years. .... your dreaming.
His body is banged up already.

doyen

Bench

I don't think we can hope[or pray] for anywhere near 6 yrs.

GI has a few chronic issues with his body which he has managed for a long time now--notably,his hips,knees & shoulders.
As the years progress & with the ongoing punishment of club,rep games & heavy training;these issues are only exacerbated.

Sths have to think long & hard as to what is the best road to travel as far as retention goes.

We don't want to just toss our best juniors aside for short term gain[not for one ageing superstar]; as we may end up in the wilderness for another 40 odd years!!!
I'm concerned that we have already released players like Peats,Mansour & even Roberts!

I can now envisage both AJ & McInnes deciding that the best future for them is elsewhere.

Last edited:

alien

Referee

he'll be a world class player until he retires. if his last year is when he turns 33, then that is still 5 years after this year. that could mean another premiership or 2. i'll take it!

doyen

Bench
I have to disagree. AJ doesn't have as good attack and skill at fullback as what GI does.

AJ at fullback isn't in the same class as GI.

Manuleleau is 20 and could be as good as AJ or better after he's fully developed. As has been said Manuleleau has been touted as a future star and he played for U20s Kiwis I think which has only helped his development.

We have only seen AJ play for 5 seconds at f/b in first grade--that is hardly enough time to gauge his ability in that posse.

Let's just take GI off his huge pedestal for a few matches & judge how this 20 yr old up & comer might go as a f/b.

From what I can make out f/b is AJ's No.1 position---& he's most certainly in high demand by other clubs.AJ,at 20 yrs, already has an Aussie Senior's jumper tucked away in his wardrobe;& this after playing out of his best posse at f/b!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Anymore news on AJ?

In the last week talk seems to have quietened in the media. It will probably start again next week though.

AJ surely will make the City team.

Ttime

Juniors
There is chat he will play on the wing in the Australian game for the injured Mansour.

pink v

Juniors
as long as the bunnies look after johnston he should take a leaf out of peta hikus book and do his time on the wing

Rabbits20

Immortal
I heard on the radio today that in tomorrow's papers there's going to be an article on the Roosters plans to get AJ to sign with them.

Apparently the fight to get him signed is now hotting up!!!

Galeforce

Bench
If Roosters sign AJ , then we should throw the money we offered to AJ to the Roosters Lattrel Mitchell. They both want to play fullback.

Galeforce

Bench
what about G.I.???

GI is GI and will stay at fullback this year and next year for sure.
The issue with Latrell Mitchell and AJ both wanting to play fullback is that they are both young, with Latrell being a year behind AJ. Would expect Latrell to be breaking into first grade if not this year then next year for sure. So why would AJ want to go to Roosters when he will need to face off with Latrell for fullback for next ten years ?

So if AJ does go to Roosters next year with the objective to be fullback. Then Latrell has the decision does he play second string to AJ or GI?The definite at Souths is that the fullback will be open by 2017 or 2018 for sure.

hurricane57

Juniors
I'm happy to loose Johnston - wingers are a dime a dozen.
Won't be long till AJ's knees go or something equally damaging.

I'm more concerned with the centre position, surprising how valuable Aauva is now he's suspended for ever.
Its important to stay of the piss isn't it.

rabbitohs95

Bench
If the Roosters nab AJ we should go hard for Latrell. He attended my highschool for a year or two when he was first signed with the Roosters and mates of mine tell me he's a massive fan of GI and we could provide him with an opportunity to learn under Greg and possibly even play in the same side as him, something he wouldn't get at Easts.

southsport

First Grade
The tip is that AJ will go to parra.

Grevsmuhl is being sought by rival clubs too, McInnes is likely to go to dragons.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm happy to loose Johnston - wingers are a dime a dozen.
Won't be long till AJ's knees go or something equally damaging.

I'm more concerned with the centre position, surprising how valuable Aauva is now he's suspended for ever.
Its important to stay of the piss isn't it.

Oh well if AJ goes Sam Manuleleau can replace him.

Yeah Auva'a is valuable. Maybe Souths will keep him on a cheap contract for next year.

Latest posts