What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All clubs should have a minimum quota of players from development countries

BranVan3000

Coach
I think it would be a really good way to grow the international game, we are seeing more Fijian, English, now even Papua New Gunea and French players coming to the game.

Getting international players into the NRL club environment alone would increase the standard of quality in international teams outside the standard New Zealand, Aus, England domination.

Why not make a minimum three players in the cap from countries where the game could feature significant growth. Maybe target strong rugby countries and poach rugby players, so South Africa, Ireland, France as well as Fiji, PNG etc.

eozsmiles

Bench
The Knights should be pretty much set already. They've got McManus (Scotland) and should have two of the Sims (Fiji) shortly.

Bazal

Post Whore
Quotas are what has got South Africa to the top of the sporting tree! Wait....

Canard

Immortal
I'd go one further and make them cap exempt, so clubs actively try to recruit and develop rather than fill a quota.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is a ridiculous idea. Like most times quotas are mentioned. Clubs should never ever have quotas in the playing squad. FFS this is professional footy.

And just look how many maori and islander players there is without any quota. Clubs pick players they think can help them win. Not on what race the bloke is.

Canard

Immortal
All the rednecks are inevitably jumping on this as some sort of race issue.

It's nothing to do with race.

I think it's not the worst idea around, I'd remove the quota and encourage it by cap exemptions however.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Ugh, I agree with Hoppity. I don't like quotas.

However I have said for some time that there should be an extra 250-300k per club available for one year scholarship style players from growth nations. They're not allowed to play first grade but can play NSW Cup and NYC in that first year. For 300k every club could bring 3-4 over a year and test them out. Worst that could happen is they go back home after a year a better player, best case scenario they get given a first grade contract.

I'd definitely like to see more done to encourage scouting and developing players from other nations, but not because of a forced quota system.

docbrown

Coach
Bran, you are right. The more players from outside the Big 3 playing in the NRL the better those nations would perform on field.

The NRL should set a certain number of cap concessions for each target country. Clubs would get them on a first come, first served basis. That way it's not forced on clubs - you get your targets but it puts the emphasis on the clubs to identify and nurture international talent.

We should definitely be poaching marquee rugby players, especially those who would lift teams like Wales, France, Fiji etc

BranVan3000

Coach
All the rednecks are inevitably jumping on this as some sort of race issue.

It's nothing to do with race.

I think it's not the worst idea around, I'd remove the quota and encourage it by cap exemptions however.
Not many will do it unless its an expectation, but I totally agree cap exemptions should be part of it

BranVan3000

Coach
Yeah definitely, we should all just lower the quality of our squads for the fun of it. Good suggestion.

How would it lower the quality? Are the likes of Semi Radrara lowering the quality of the team?

Of course its up to the teams if they want to just pick up a minimum wager, or a marquee poached from rugby.

eozsmiles

Bench
A couple of ex-players were trying to get the NRL to do some development work in Fiji and a whole bunch of fans on this forum called it unfair. No talk of quota's or cap exemptions - it was just coaching clinics and development from what I read. Get some of the guys into league instead of rugby.

If that got some fans offside, I'm not sure how talk of cap exemptions and quotas will go.

Canard

Immortal
A couple of ex-players were trying to get the NRL to do some development work in Fiji and a whole bunch of fans on this forum called it unfair. No talk of quota's or cap exemptions - it was just coaching clinics and development from what I read. Get some of the guys into league instead of rugby.

If that got some fans offside, I'm not sure how talk of cap exemptions and quotas will go.

LU shouldn't be used as representative of anything, let alone society, however.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would like to see better scouting in PI nation, even if it has to be RU players as we are so sht at developing the game outside two states.