What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt to partner Munster for QLD
  • Dragons Den News
    r0_0_4362_2908_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SHOO-IN: The Queensland No. 7 is Ben Hunt's to lose. Picture: AAP

• Ben Hunt and Cameron Munster have been anointed the front-runners to take over the playmaking reins from Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk in a new State of Origin era for Queensland.

Barring any dramatic developments between now and the series opener on June 6, Hunt’s scintillating form at St George Illawarra will see him join Munster in the halves, according to chief selector Gene Miles.

The pair will be given ‘‘first crack’’ at the positions and performances will then dictate whether the Maroons pick and stick, or shuffle through their options.

Finding an all-new halves combination is a problem Queensland hasn’t had to deal with for more than a decade, with Thurston and Cronk both mainstays during the team’s incredible run of success.

Miles said Cronk’s old No.7 jersey was Hunt’s to lose on the back of his scintillating form since moving to the Dragons on a multi-million dollar deal.

‘‘Anyone that hasn’t been impressed with his form for the first nine rounds is pretty hard to please,’’ Miles told reporters on Thursday.

‘‘They’re getting good value for the money that they’ve paid. Although he only had a very short stint in game three last year with us, he’s done everything right up until now.

‘‘I just hope he stays healthy now and continues on that winning form because it’s very hard to ignore.’’

Hunt’s performances will likely mean Michael Morgan remains in a bench utility role for Queensland, while Munster - who made his Origin debut at the same time as Hunt, in game three last year - is in line to play at five-eighth.

‘‘He’s playing extremely well for Melbourne ... he just has to continue that form to claim that,’’ Miles said.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5393467/hunt-to-partner-munster-for-qld/?cs=3713

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hunt deserves the number 7. Morgan off the bench for QLD makes more sense, he can cover more positions in the backline than Benny can (fullback, centre etc).

Life's Good

Coach
Yes. One other thing is how after Hunt scores he goes into flexing motion to celebrate. It’s very appealing.

Not that there is anything wrong with it.

ALSGI

Bench
Still very glad we have signed this little champion.

He’s not a $6m man, according to Milward when asked about the $1m a season Milward said he’s not on any where near that much so that needs to be put out there by our coach/club in the media. It would stop some of the BS by the media. Dugan’s on $800k+ and doesn’t cop half the crap Hunt is by the commentators or media for his mistakes or MIA. I totally agree with some that Hunt (and others) needs to earn his keep but the million dollar man tag needs to stop or be applied to plenty of others. Our media people need to address this.

He’s won us games, will win us plenty more and I’d prefer him over the goose QLD replaced him with. If DCE was a Dragon I’d probably siesta for the term of his contract. In fact the only other half in the NRL I’d even consider replacing Ben with at the Dragons is Cleary.

Last night he had a few shockers, so f**kcing what, it happens to the best when they’re having a dig. I’m tipping he’ll put plenty of smiles on our faces in the next few years.

Plenty.

Worth every cent - well done Milward.

Do people honestly forget where we were with McCrone, Williams etc?

So yes, now I’m still glad we’ve signed Mr Ben Hunt. Get behind him people.

getsmarty

Immortal

He’s not a $6m man, according to Milward when asked about the $1m a season Milward said he’s not on any where near that much so that needs to be put out there by our coach/club in the media. It would stop some of the BS by the media. Dugan’s on $800k+ and doesn’t cop half the crap Hunt is by the commentators or media for his mistakes or MIA. I totally agree with some that Hunt (and others) needs to earn his keep but the million dollar man tag needs to stop or be applied to plenty of others. Our media people need to address this.

He’s won us games, will win us plenty more and I’d prefer him over the goose QLD replaced him with. If DCE was a Dragon I’d probably siesta for the term of his contract. In fact the only other half in the NRL I’d even consider replacing Ben with at the Dragons is Cleary.

Last night he had a few shockers, so f**kcing what, it happens to the best when they’re having a dig. I’m tipping he’ll put plenty of smiles on our faces in the next few years.

Plenty.

Well said...he is a little down on confidence at the moment...Sterlo stuck up for him today on the footy show today as did Wally Lewis...He just needs to play his own game...He will come good.
As you correctly pointed out he is not on the 1 Mill a season the press keeps quoting..but when did they ever let facts get in the way of telling a story.

P.S We have been crying out for a genuine no 7 for years...now that we have him, let's back him.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Ben Hunt is such a targeted player by the media that it's almost baffling.

Just for a second, imagine going through what he has. Imagine having a whole country, and the rugby league mad city of Brisbane, pin the blame of a grand final loss right on your shoulders. It hangs around you forever, and it's what you become known for.

You make a decision to get away from the Brisbane fishbowl, to a famous club, all the while being thrown around as the 1.2 million dollar man by media again.

You get there and you set the NRL on fire with hot form, seizing your Origin halfback jersey for the first time. And then you're dropped after 2 games, once again blamed by the old Queensland fans for being the reason for a loss, and shot for confidence

Then you come back to club footy, completely down, and it's starting to show. But your new clubs fans are starting to turn on you as well, and the media are back to pushing you around every single day.

Then to cap it all off, you have to relive the dropped kickoff.

Dragons fans should show they are better than Broncos fans. In fact, as much as I want Mary gone, one rare thing I will commend him on is his constant public defence of Ben Hunt. He knows Hunt is a confidence player and he is trying to show him that he has his back. The fans should too.

ALSGI

Bench
Ben Hunt is such a targeted player by the media that it's almost baffling.

Just for a second, imagine going through what he has. Imagine having a whole country, and the rugby league mad city of Brisbane, pin the blame of a grand final loss right on your shoulders. It hangs around you forever, and it's what you become known for.

You make a decision to get away from the Brisbane fishbowl, to a famous club, all the while being thrown around as the 1.2 million dollar man by media again.

You get there and you set the NRL on fire with hot form, seizing your Origin halfback jersey for the first time. And then you're dropped after 2 games, once again blamed by the old Queensland fans for being the reason for a loss, and shot for confidence

Then you come back to club footy, completely down, and it's starting to show. But your new clubs fans are starting to turn on you as well, and the media are back to pushing you around every single day.

Then to cap it all off, you have to relive the dropped kickoff.

Dragons fans should show they are better than Broncos fans. In fact, as much as I want Mary gone, one rare thing I will commend him on is his constant public defence of Ben Hunt. He knows Hunt is a confidence player and he is trying to show him that he has his back. The fans should too.
Well said.

hewi

Bench
Every sports person falls off the pace in their careers, that’s a fact. Hunt is a gun, fact. He will come good it’s just a question of how long. Has any one had a chance to check if he was off side when binned last night or was he just so quick the ref couldn’t believe it?

LINESPEED

Juniors

Plenty.

As I've said before, Benny's a great kid & will score a Grandfinal winning try for us one day IMO - the gods owe him one

Gareth67

First Grade
The man is indeed down on confidence, however I am sure that he will come back bigger and better . We need to remember that in the early part of the season he was playing grand footy and given some breathing space will do so again - probably come semi time .

Two other points that I saw - Jimmy Graham grasping his hand as he walked from the field to let him know that he was backing him .

And what I read in today’s Tele sport . Apparently the on- line criticism has had an effect upon the man as is evident to his wife whom apparently backed her husband to come back - if the little lady said that , then that’s good enough for me . The Dragons signed a decent halfback in Ben Hunt and I am sure that his best is yet to come .

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

Plenty.

can i like a post more than once

gregstar

Referee
he's gonna need to be made of sterner stuff to bounce back from the last 10 weeks of disappointment, especially origin.

i reckon he's screwed for confidence & that could last for however long our season lasts.

i hope i'm wrong but it's a big ask of him.