What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And you all thought Bennett was full of shite...

<span>Read it and weep Bronco-hater!

Is there Bronco bias?</span>
<span> BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett was hit with a $10,000 breach notice this week for attacking the integrity of the game but statistics have revealed the reason for his complaint.
<table align=right> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top align=right></td></tr></tbody></table>The statistics, compiled for The Daily Telegraph by NRL Stats, show the Broncos have received 103 penalties after 20 rounds – the least amount of any team this year. They also show Brisbane have been penalised 133 times – the second most of any team. In addition, they have had little success at the judiciary, notwithstanding the good fortune of Allan Langer escaping a charge earlier this week for kneeing Parramatta's Matt Petersen in the head. In figures compiled from 1998, when the NRL began, show Brisbane have the worst success rate at the judiciary panel. Of the 24 players charged in that time they have taken seven cases to the panel and are the only club not to receive a downgrade or have a player be exonerated. That has left them with a zero percent success rate. The Northern Eagles are the other team with little luck at the judiciary – they have not had any players exonerated but have had one downgrade. However, they have only had players suspended for a total of 31 weeks compared with North Queensland at the top of the list with 62 weeks and St George Illawarra next with 61 weeks. Broncos officials did not want to comment last night but it's understood these figures will be used as part of the dossier they present to defend Bennett's $10,000 fine. They will be doing so after NRL chief executive David Gallop said earlier in the week that if there was any evidence of bias against a club he would like to investigate it. But on initial inspection of the statistics last night, Gallop did not feel they supported any of Bennett's claims. "There is no preconceived plan to act against the Broncos in terms of penalties or conduct of the judiciary. To suggest otherwise is nonsense," Gallop said. "I don't believe these statistics are particularly relevant to what happened earlier in the week. "There'll no doubt be a range of statistics which will not support their view." Bennett was hit with a breach notice for his comments after last Friday's win over Parramatta when he said: "I've said it before and I'll say it again, when there's a tough call on, it will go against us every time. The officials' job is not to pre-judge, their job is to make the right decision. "I feel we're pre-judged long before the event, you just get tired of it." The comments prompted Gallop to launch a strongly worded reply saying Bennett had "attacked the integrity of the game". Whether the statistics actually give any substances to Bennett's claim of his team being prejudged is up for debate. He could have the second most ill-disciplined team on his hands and the club might have fought cases at the judiciary which they were never going to win. Brisbane fans would no doubt point to the stats and claim some sort of southern bias. The only certainty is the figures provide the foundation for a healthy siege mentality which will no doubt serve the Broncos well as they gear up for the finals. Meanwhile, the Broncos have begun negotiating with discarded Melbourne hooker Richard Swain and could have him signed as early as today. HOW THE STATS STACK UP AGAINST THE BRONCOS
BRONCOS have received fewer penalties than any other team this season (103) Wests Tigers have the most (147) BRONCOS are the second most-penalised side in the comp (133) with the Sharks the worst offenders (137) BRONCOS have the worst success rate at the judiciary of any team (yet to have a player exonerated or a charge downgraded at the judiciary panel). SOURCE: NRL Stats
<span>The Daily Telegraph</span>
</span>

Facts and stats don't lie felow league supporters!
Brisbane fans would no doubt point to the stats and claim some sort of southern bias.
Hell yeah!!!
The Broncos-fan-baller

Dog

Juniors
God you Bronco's supporters (not all of them - I don't like generalising) are paranoid fools.

dog

imported_midas

Juniors
Gawd-talk about paranoid!Against Parramatta a try was allowed which certainly appeared to be a double movement although apparently this new rule contains a few grey areas.Then Webke was allowed to roll the ball back without any attempt to play it,giving his receivers 2-3 metres start -try! one-all!On topof that Langer escaped without penalty for the blatant kneeing effort and was allowed to get away with blatant time-wasting tactics.
The Broncos outclassed the Eels on the night and nothing that happened affected the outcome in any way,but any fair person would say that the Broncs received a degree of leniency all night.Then Boofhead Bennett comes out and bags the ref!
Perhaps Bennett could realise that any side with Messrs Tallis,Gee and Langer in it is obviously going to concede penalties.
I think this is just a $10,000 investment in building up paranoia as motivation for the end of season matches.

st ted

Juniors
Yeah,well that would have to be worst uses of statistics that I have seen for a while.
The amount of times that the Broncos don't get penalised or players placed on report is far more indicative to me,that there is a pro Bronco refereeing bias.Tripping incidents and head high tackles are in abundance every game and no action is taken.
Bennett is a very good league coach ,no doubt about it,but his hypocrisy remains astonishing.Nevertheless he uses his hypocrisy to make the Broncos players believe the ridiculous.
I am curious as to why he has not dropped Tiquiri from the team now that he has signed a union contract.I mean Hodges signed a contract away from the Broncos and he was dropped like a bag of shit.I have not seen Bennett say or write anything about Tiquiri(except to bemoan the salary cap).
I have been expecting the Bennett rationalisation to run along the lines of Tiquiri will not be playing against the Broncos therefore it is o.k. to keep him in the team.
The other thing is that if there were genuinely a southern bias then the Broncos would not exist.
I mean accusing the NRL of bias by the compass is a bit bizarre especially when the Storm(who are further to the south than the intended target of bias) were handed a grand final by a referee.

El Duque

Bench
Alan Jones had a shitload more stats yet he was sued by Harrigan and lost.

Which Broncos that have been suspended at the Judiciary should of got off?

How do you explain Langer not being suspended for trips,heaad highs and knees this year?

Also stats like they have rattled off don't always tell the story.
I just had a quick look at your penalty stats and so far out of the 18 games you have played you haveonly been penalised morein 5 games.So the other 13 times you drew the penalty count twice and conceeded less 11 times.Doesn't sound to bias when you look at it that way does it?

El Duque

Bench
I hope you get what I'm saying.Stats are wonderful things and can be twisted many ways but surely if refs were bias against the Broncos re penalties then you would think that they would've lost the count more than 5 times?
Or to say it another way they only lose the penalty count 27.7% of the time so in order for penalties to be unbias to the poor little Broncos and whinging Wayne what losing percentage wouldbe unbias?.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bennett is full of shite.

Figures, stats, seige mentality, fuel for the semis... all the same thing.

"However, they have only had players suspended for a total of 31 weeks compared with North Queensland at the top of the list with 62 weeks and St George Illawarra next with 61 weeks. "

I suppose these figures are because Saints deserve it...? It all depends what twist you put on it.

In any case, Cronulla have also been issued with a $10K breach notice after Steve Rogers called the NRL judiciary 'a joke and a farce' today - not as bad as Bennett's comments where he was basically calling referees and officials corrupt.

Whether or not you agree with Bennett's comments is irrelevant. The fact is, he isn't god... and for once the NRL are being consistent.

You make some very valid statements El Duque, andI do understand where you are coming from-getting at. Fair enough.
How do you explain Langer not being suspended for trips,heaad highs and knees this year?
Langer has been doing the trip thing for as long asI can nowremember. Whilst I'm not a fan of that, and never have been mind you, I think it's fair to say that both the ARL and now the NRL have excepted that that is a part of his game. I strongly dissagree with that, because I think a trip is a trip, but neither factions seemed or seem to be interested in addressing it.
Whether or not you agree with Bennett's comments is irrelevant. The fact is, he isn't god... and for once the NRL are being consistent.
What exactly do you mean with the part that is in bold with the above statement of yours Willow. The NRL have been consistent how and in what areaexactly?

Whether the statistics actually give any substances to Bennett's claim of his team being prejudged is up for debate.
And I dounderstand the above qoute from the original article generally means what people have already said: ie that the statistics can be interpreted in many different ways, and basicaly at the days end, it's how it is interpreted that matters.. Fair enough. But if you were to take them for what they are without looking into it with any depth or what not, than on the surface it does lok as if Bennett and the Broncos have a good case in their favour and should question their treatment by the NRL hierachy and so forth. Or in other words, the statistics look damning in laymans terms. They did to me when I first looked through it without analyzing it in any depth. How many other people will do just the same thing?
What the article does in my most honest opinion proveis itthrows right out the door the claim that many here believe the Broncos and in particular certain player/s (ala Alfie)are given 'royal' or 'special' treatment by the NRL judicial panel. Sure, Alfie may have been helped of recent timesdue to theexoneration (if that is the correct word to use)he recieved by the judiciary, for reasons Willow pointed out in another thread, but on the whole it proves the Broncos get no special treatment from the judiciary...at least not for the lastfour or soof years. Surely no one can argue that point now? Trust me, asa Bronco man, we do not one special treatment for any of our players...star status or not. What we want is a fair go. Somethingthat I was always doubtfull was infact happening at the judiciary for a couple of years at lease now, and now has emerged to light. And yes, I do agree thatcertain thingscan be interpreted in other ways, but not in this instances.To not have a player's chargers be exonerated or downgraded in seven appearence is maybe nothing, or something?

Anyway: The only certainty is the figures provide the foundation for a healthy siege mentality which will no doubt serve the Broncos well as they gear up for the finals.

Maybe that (just maybe?)is the main reason why the Broncos camp will take these stats (regardless of their relativeness or credibility) and thenuse them to their advantage in some type of an 'influential' ploy to work for them in the run to the semis and possibly beyond. Another master plan by super-coach Bennett perhaps? :))
Just slightly off the thread topic (well not really):
Meanwhile, the Broncos have begun negotiating with discarded Melbourne hooker Richard Swain and could have him signed as early as today. I've always been a fan of Swain and I hope he does become a Bronco. A side like Brisbane Broncos will bring out the best of him. He was next to wasted at Melbourne Storm. They will miss him. Silly.
After midnight is too late for me. Good night....
'fan-baller

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow: Whether or not you agree with Bennett's comments is irrelevant. The fact is, he isn't god... and for once the NRL are being consistent.
BFB: What exactly do you mean with the part that is in bold with the above statement of yours Willow. The NRL have been consistent how and in what areaexactly?

Believe me, its not fun watching the NRL or the ARL making stuff ups. But its a great pleasure whenI see them get something right.

To answer your query, I would have thought the preceding paragraph in my post explained the meaning of the bit you put in bold.
Today, the NRL nailed Steve Rogers on the same charge. Pretty simple really.

Beforehand, coaches have been allowed to make outbursts while other coaches have copped fines. I always put it down to inconsistency.

Sometimes the NRL are wrong, they make mistakes. They still have plenty of dead wood circulating amongst the various CEOs and within their own offices. Moreover, they are working off the back of years of ineptitude and in-fighting... its not easy to change that culture overnight.
Therefore, coaches are sometimes justified in taking the officials on.

But its unfortunate that some coaches use the failings of the heirarchy to suit their own ends... in which case, they themselves are part of this culture.

If Wayne Bennett could come with some solutions to the inconsistency of the judiciary and referees, I might entertain him. But he doesnt, he just calls them cheats.

Bennettis one smartcookie.To know the effect his words will have on the team and the supporters takes observation and experience. To know how to time the comments for maximum effect, takes intuition and a competitive nature that can only come from years of winning.

He's been around long enough to know thataccusations of bias againstthe NSWRL, ARLand now the NRL will always rally him some support.

imported_weasel

Juniors
Don't start on the southern bias. This is why we need more than one competitive Queensland team. As soon as something goes against the Broncos, or more precisely they think that something is going against them, the whole us against them crap flairs up. New South Wales bias against Queensland is all in the mind, a propaganda devicegiven a flogging whenever the Broncos are only coming second (or, perish the thought, worse than that!). Heck if the southerns didn't want a Queensland team doing well they would have never: one; made a Brisbane team in the first place, and two; allowed said team to have practically sole access to such a ridiculousamount of talent.

imported_bronco

Juniors
I personally don't think theres any bias for or against the Broncos. I've never seen it as an issue but I'm glad those facts can at least be used as proof to the Broncos haters that the Broncos don't exactly get the red carpet laid out for them as some would like to make out.

Bennettis one smartcookie.To know the effect his words will have on the team and the supporters takes observation and experience. To know how to time the comments for maximum effect, takes intuition and a competitive nature that can only come from years of winning.
You're a smart man Willow. I just hope more non-Bronco fans can see things in the manner in which you do. Whether you love or hate him, it doesn't really matter. The point is,there is no better manipulator in the game (at present and probably ever has been)than the great man himself..Wayne Bennett. His record with the Broncos speaks a thousand words.
Thanks for the earlier clarification also Willow.
'fan-baller

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks BFB... but lets get something straight... I still think Baldrick is full of shite.
Just in this thread, he has two Broncos supporters referring to the anyone who responds as 'Bronco haters'.
Its doesnt matter if its true or not, what does matter is that he convinces those around him that its true.

A word of advice though... when he offers you some cool-ade and says you are about to make some astral journey, I strongly recommend that you scarper out of the joint poste haste!