What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Webster Attacking Fifita, ET & Mocks Harold Holt Analogy

NrlVader

Juniors
In the SMH today.

Brings up ET's affair/tryst.

Say's he's a fake.

Attacks Fifita again.

And says Harold Holt's family has no connection with the Sharks? Does he not understand Gibson's analogy?

Our win has pissed him off so much to write this crap after 6 days.

Haffa

'ET' pic one for the ages

It will never surpass the iconic image of Norm Provan and Arthur Summons, but the picture of Sharks captain Paul Gallen and club legend Andrew Ettingshausen embracing each other, in tears, after the grand final is one for the ages.

For many, though, the sight of Ettingshausen front and centre on grand final night raised a few eyebrows.

According to some of his former teammates, "ET" has been aloof and distant from the club for many years – although he's willing to help out when asked.

There's also lingering distaste about his much-publicised affair with the wife of former teammate Paul Mellor, an episode he blamed on depression caused by bad financial decisions.

For the record, the NRL decided to use Ettingshausen – and retired Storm legend Matt Geyer – as on-field talent on grand final day. That's why he was so visible in celebrations.

In the eyes of many, it was great to see a club legend of his stature welcomed back into the fold.

He had every right to be celebrating with a club he helped – in no small part – to build.

Holt's stepson not a Sharkie

The surviving stepson of the late Harold Holt is hardly doing backflips over the Sharks' win.

Jack Gibson's immortal line – "Waiting for Cronulla to win the premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt" – was finally put to rest with grand final victory.

The reference is to the former Prime Minister who disappeared while swimming near Portsea in 1967 – Cronulla's first season in the competition.

So said Sam Holt when we contacted him this week: "It's quite a witty line – but I didn't know about it until a week ago. I have no interest in sport. As long as they think of him [Harold] fondly, I have no problem with it."

Bias complaints miss the point

There's nothing more amusing than complaints about biased footy commentary.

Channel Nine has copped it in the neck this week for their "biased" coverage of the NRL grand final, with an unlikely protagonist in Channel Ten newsreader Sandra Sully who took to Twitter to condemn the "bias" towards the Sharks.

We love you, Sandra, as you know … but really?

You can surely understand the callers being enthusiastic about the Sharks edging closer and closer to their maiden premiership 50 years after joining the competition.

As Nine sports boss Tom Malone pointed out when we contacted him,Phil Gould, Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer and Wally Lewis are paid to have a say.

"They're our rugby league experts," he said. "They're paid for their opinions. The only person who gets paid for neutral commentary is Rabs [play-by-play caller Ray Warren]."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...hard-to-be-a-good-person-20161006-grwd37.html

RoosTah

Juniors
lol that article wasn't even negative
Yeah I know right? Sure it's a bit tongue in cheek in parts and the stuff about ET might sound a bit out of left field for people not close to the club, but it sounds like he's just relaying the reactions of some of those who are and adding a bit of extra context.
And yeah - he's a dragons fan lol

ed-grimley

Bench
In the SMH today.

Brings up ET's affair/tryst.

Say's he's a fake.

Attacks Fifita again.

And says Harold Holt's family has no connection with the Sharks? Does he not understand Gibson's analogy?

Our win has pissed him off so much to write this crap after 6 days.
He also said that Fifita needs the NRL more than the NRL needs Fifita.
I think AW needs us more than we need him.

Glen

Bench
He's way off on the ET stuff. Any footy fan gets why him hugging Gallen in tears at full time is a great rugby league image. No one (aside from maybe Paul Mellor) gives a shit about the affair stuff.

I'm definitely sick of hearing the Harold Holt gag referred to for the 500th time in the last couple of weeks though

no name

Coach
He's way off on the ET stuff. Any footy fan gets why him hugging Gallen in tears at full time is a great rugby league image. No one (aside from maybe Paul Mellor) gives a shit about the affair stuff.

I'm definitely sick of hearing the Harold Holt gag referred to for the 500th time in the last couple of weeks though
The ET bit is weird. He says it raised a few eyebrows, which hasn't been seen in either the press or social media, then he says he has every right to be there.
I reckon he wrote about it just to mention the affair stuff.

myrrh ken

First Grade
its lazy word association tabloid journalism

cronulla - et affair - drugs - Harold holt - relocation - fifita

I'm only surprised he didn't mention ET suing that photographer.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Seriously though, how many Sharks fans would even know who Harold Holt was? (especially those under 30).

nrlnrl

First Grade
This is interesting: 'The only person who gets paid for neutral commentary is Rabs [play-by-play caller Ray Warren]."

carcharias

Immortal
He's a Dragons fan so he'd be pretty salty at the moment.

Oh that is wonderful news.

The absolute butthurt of a few I know it just perfect.
Any better and it would've been the Dragons we beat.

I had one mate in a group email (about a lunch with our family's - totally unrelated )bring up The Fifita FKL thing
Couldn't help himself, his utter devastation shone through.
I responded with a glorious pic of the sharks holding up the trophy.

no name

Coach
Seriously though, how many Sharks fans would even know who Harold Holt was? (especially those under 30).
You don't think many people would know about a sitting PM going missing?
Not to mention that 'doing the Harry' is a popular slang phrase.