What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another NRL backflip

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sick to death of being led down the garden path to by the NRL

A CONSERVATIVE NRL has pushed expansion and the referee bunker system back a year as they do further reviews of their worth to the code.

Prospective NRL teams, whose creators have poured thousands of dollars into their bids already, will remain clueless about their chances of a license for at least another 12 months.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the expansion review would actually begin next month and take at least 12 months to complete.

A team in south east Queensland is considered a near certainty for expansion with a Western Corridor bid competing against the Brisbane Bombers and Brothers for a licence.

The NRL had pledged to address expansion at the end of 2014 however the review has not started.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...-hold-until-2016/story-fndujljl-1227204244228

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems his first job has been to delay any review of expansion. What a joke! A backflip by the NRL worthy of Tony Abbot

A CONSERVATIVE NRL has pushed expansion and the referee bunker system back a year as they do further reviews of their worth to the code.

Prospective NRL teams, whose creators have poured thousands of dollars into their bids already, will remain clueless about their chances of a license for at least another 12 months.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the expansion review would actually begin next month and take at least 12 months to complete.

A team in south east Queensland is considered a near certainty for expansion with a Western Corridor bid competing against the Brisbane Bombers and Brothers for a licence.
The NRL had pledged to address expansion at the end of 2014 however the review has not started.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...-hold-until-2016/story-fndujljl-1227204244228

Starkers

Bench
I can't see a backflip. They're going to review expansion closely and make a decision when they're ready. Seems prudent and logical to me.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You posted the same article in another thread.

Your crying is not worth ruining the forums.

Can the mods please delete one of them?

papabear

Juniors
would you prefer them to rush a no decision to perth or take their time and make the correct call.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

It shit that they pushed it back 5 months from the original November start, but the timeline is still pretty much what was originally expected...

They were to begin the review this offseason and probably announce "Phase 1" of whatever plans they came up with following the 2015 Grand Final. the only difference will be a press conference in March instead of November

Some of the timelines people on here are suggesting are honestly ridiculous. I suppose there will be a lot of moaning when the ARLC announce the chosen locations then dont immediately accept select one of the few groups rich/brave/dumb enough to create a bid without any guarantee of a new places. Id much prefer the ARLC took their time and actually formed solid franchises.

I dont want to see another Titans situation....

insert.pause

First Grade
Richarson was earmarked to head the review by Smith months ago when they had apparently been in discussions about his role, Richardson doesn't start until march, that's the reason for a slight delay if you want to be nitpicky about it.

There is no backflip.

I would sooner the ARL got it right this time than we have in the past.
We certainly don't want a gws club on our hands like the aFL does.
A club that continues to hemorrhage money at an alarming rate

I would sooner the ARL got it right this time than we have in the past.
We certainly don't want a gws club on our hands like the aFL does.
A club that continues to hemorrhage money at an alarming rate

One just needs to look at the 'heartland' clubs constantly asking to be bailed out all the time with handouts. The fact, after decades the 'heartland' clubs can't get there stuff together is disturbing they had more than enough time to get it together.

The self-interest and insular mindset kicks into the NRL once more with the delay of expanison. A true 'heartland' wouldn't have the financial/crowd problems the current clubs have. This is the NRL not the NSWRL.

taipan

Referee
Seems his first job has been to delay any review of expansion. What a joke! A backflip by the NRL worthy of Tony Abbot

FFS.Any expansion if decided upon was always going to be from 2018.That hasn't changed.That is not a back flip.Unless you naively believed the Reds would get in in 2016/7 .
A review that takes 12 months ,so be it.We don't want to stuff up expansion.It's still going on from end 2014 and the review in fact was talked about mid 2015,except it will take 12 months.
Plus any bid team worth its salt would still have 2016 and 2017 to get troops organised and additional sponsors.
Geez you whine a lot,must have worked for Boeing in your previous life.

The fact you support Bourbon Beck's criticism says a lot,or should I say little about your views.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was it? there was no reason, if they had done what they had said and conducted the review at the end of the 2014 season, not after as some are quoting, that the teams couldn't have kicked off in 2017 giving hype and something to sell for the 2018 deal. Still what's another year of ínaction and stagnation when you've been strung along for 8 years already?

For me this isn't even about if Perth will get a team, its a lack of a strategic vision for growing RL outside of its heartlands. Where's the affiliated states funding and growth plan? Where's the guaranteed NRL games for new markets? Where's the international game we were promised by Grant? I agree they need to get NRL expansion well planned and right and no problem not rushing it but the ARLC has had the money and decision making for two years now and still nothing has happened to grow the game in new areas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
FFS.Any expansion if decided upon was always going to be from 2018.That hasn't changed.That is not a back flip.Unless you naively believed the Reds would get in in 2016/7 .
A review that takes 12 months ,so be it.We don't want to stuff up expansion.It's still going on from end 2014 and the review in fact was talked about mid 2015,except it will take 12 months.
Plus any bid team worth its salt would still have 2016 and 2017 to get troops organised and additional sponsors.
Geez you whine a lot,must have worked for Boeing in your previous life.

The fact you support Bourbon Beck's criticism says a lot,or should I say little about your views.

Easy to say sat in your well funded state with ten clubs to chose who to watch every weekend. I love this game, can see the massive potential it has, including in perth, and can see the inaction whilst other codes continue to grow and pump money into grass roots and prof clubs. If that makes me a whinger so be it, I love RL and will whinge until the day I give up that love, which hopefully will be never.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Was it? there was no reason, if they had done what they had said and conducted the review at the end of the 2014 season, not after as some are quoting, that the teams couldn't have kicked off in 2017 giving hype and something to sell for the 2018 deal. Still what's another year of ínaction and stagnation when you've been strung along for 8 years already?

For me this isn't even about if Perth will get a team, its a lack of a strategic vision for growing RL outside of its heartlands. Where's the affiliated states funding and growth plan? Where's the guaranteed NRL games for new markets? Where's the international game we were promised by Grant? I agree they need to get NRL expansion well planned and right and no problem not rushing it but the ARLC has had the money and decision making for two years now and still nothing has happened to grow the game in new areas.

Perth Red = Pommy = Whinger.

As for the international game, it will go back to normal when the ESL goes back to being a winter sport (our summer) so proper tours can occur. This is very unlikely as Murdoch bought the pommy bastards out.

So keep platting your own shit, whinging pom.

Rugby league must be the most insular code of all, too scared to go outside the heartlands yet proclaims itself to be the 'greatest game of all'. Yet the empty stadiums/excuses in the 'heartland' is holding the game back from true national expansion. The constant delaying of expansion is a joke, they should have a long term plan for national expansion by now.

It's up to the 'heartland' clubs to get there stuff together finally in 2015 instead of asking for handouts and doing jack all administration wise as a result empty seats and tons of excuses. No more excuses, the current clubs had decades to get it right yet still need to be bailed out which is inexcusable.

byrner

Juniors
Rugby league must be the most insular code of all, too scared to go outside the heartlands yet proclaims itself to be the 'greatest game of all'. Yet the empty stadiums/excuses in the 'heartland' is holding the game back from true national expansion. The constant delaying of expansion is a joke, they should have a long term plan for national expansion by now.

It's up to the 'heartland' clubs to get there stuff together finally in 2015 instead of asking for handouts and doing jack all administration wise as a result empty seats and tons of excuses. No more excuses, the current clubs had decades to get it right yet still need to be bailed out which is inexcusable.

I am putting it out there that you are Perth Red. both your whinging reads the same and you make the exact same BS arguments against the NRL.
The NRL has appointed someone to specifically look at expansion of the game and you whing because they are wai5ing till he starts before they start the review process.
Take a breath and you might just realise that your pov is completely wrong on this one.

gyallop

Juniors
In fairness to Perth Red the 2014 review was put up in 2012 when the Sydney clubs were pressing the ARLC pre David Smith to delay expansion.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...for-new-nrl-club/story-e6frg6n6-1226508501243

When David Gallop was CEO expansion was earmarked to start in 2013 and the ARLC then spoke of 2015 before the decided end of 2014 review. Grant clearly said that they would act quickly. You would expect that given this was put on the table back in 08 or 09 by the NRL that they would have a 90% idea on what they wanted so I think the bid teams could have fairly expected the review to complete by the end of 14 and a decision moving forward.

If there is going to be expansion that wont be till 2018 so they can have something to bargain with for more TV money so that the NRL can fill its obvious plan to be one of Australia's biggest employers!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As for the international game, it will go back to normal when the ESL goes back to being a winter sport (our summer) so proper tours can occur. This is very unlikely as Murdoch bought the pommy bastards out.

So keep platting your own shit, whinging pom.

No way. Having the NRL and ESL seasons aligned is the only way International team could have any kind of meaningful existence.

Why make English RL compete with Soccer AND force them to stall their comp mid season to send rep players here when they can leave it as is and create a single, simple template for all the major Leagues (eg: Club 9s - February, Regular season - march to septenber, internationals - october/november).