What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another typical Madge press conference

Rabbits20

Immortal
Same old from Madge.

Second half our defence was very good and scramble, blah blah

The season restarts now and you take the good with your footy blah blah

We take the second half into next week and focus on that blah blah, (ignoring blatant deficiencies isn't the answer imo).

We still have a chance there are 8 teams left blah blah

We take forward how we played great when McQueen got sin binned and AJ made a try saving tackle blah blah

A. Reynolds thought AJ was outstanding in the second half (what?????? shoot me dead) blah blah (Adam must be blind).

Just the usual typical press conference from Madge.

What I want guys is an apology to the members/supporters for that disgraceful effort.

The players were walking quite a lot in the match which isn't on and there is no desire there.

We have major attitude issues in our team currently.

Discuss guys...................

P.S. We have forgotten how to tackle and we have no attack at all. They looked clueless, so I don't know what they do at training tbh???????????

I will be at our finals match next week. It will most likely feel painful but I'll be right behind the boys, that's for sure.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
My mate who isn't a Souths supporter but a big league supporter pointed out that we've been missing our leaders.

We had no Inglis, Sutton or Issac tonight.

We've been missing Sam's leadership and Greg out for the last few weeks hasn't helped either.

Curns13

Juniors
Madge has lost the team in my opinion. There is no desire. Its done. Start again next year, hope McGuire has some sort of plan and that Sam Burgess plays like shit at the RWC or barely plays at all. No Sammy next year and I can't see us even making the finals. Same bullshit out of his mouth every week, means nothing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Madge has lost the team in my opinion. There is no desire. Its done. Start again next year, hope McGuire has some sort of plan and that Sam Burgess plays like shit at the RWC or barely plays at all. No Sammy next year and I can't see us even making the finals. Same bullshit out of his mouth every week, means nothing.

That's how I feel.

I'm over the same responses in his press conference.

Maybe the fact Madge was considering a move to Newcastle has affected the team too?

souths_pride

Juniors
I think the most important thing here is that we keep our heads. Parramatta supporters are the ones who carry on and call for the coach to be sacked and every players to be dropped to reserve grade after a loss. We are better than that!

The first thing that everyone needs to do is to get over this nonsense about Sam Burgess. We knew he was leaving well in advance and if the players couldn't deal with the fact that he was leaving, then maybe they shouldn't be in first grade. Using the line "oh but we're missing Sam Burgess" is exactly the same as saying that we were missing Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote, John O'Neill and co. He is gone, deal with it! The same applies for Ben Teo! In any case, he was only any good for us at the back end of last season and I seem to remember people not feeling too upset when he announced he was leaving.

As for Maguire's press conferences, I agree with you in a sense. However, Madge's way of dealing with losses and situations when the team is out of form is to keep everything in house, play everything with a straight bet, avoid controversy and all rumours of a crisis at all costs. That is why he answers the questions the way he does and gives away very little - because he doesn't want to create a media furore with rumours of unrest, internal crisis etc and place additional pressure on players.

Curns13

Juniors
I think the most important thing here is that we keep our heads. Parramatta supporters are the ones who carry on and call for the coach to be sacked and every players to be dropped to reserve grade after a loss. We are better than that!

The first thing that everyone needs to do is to get over this nonsense about Sam Burgess. We knew he was leaving well in advance and if the players couldn't deal with the fact that he was leaving, then maybe they shouldn't be in first grade. Using the line "oh but we're missing Sam Burgess" is exactly the same as saying that we were missing Bob McCarthy, Ron Coote, John O'Neill and co. He is gone, deal with it! The same applies for Ben Teo! In any case, he was only any good for us at the back end of last season and I seem to remember people not feeling too upset when he announced he was leaving.

As for Maguire's press conferences, I agree with you in a sense. However, Madge's way of dealing with losses and situations when the team is out of form is to keep everything in house, play everything with a straight bet, avoid controversy and all rumours of a crisis at all costs. That is why he answers the questions the way he does and gives away very little - because he doesn't want to create a media furore with rumours of unrest, internal crisis etc and place additional pressure on players.

Its not about Sam. We've lost the last 3 games by an average of 23 points. We suck. If that's the best we've got, how can me make the finals. If we had someone good coming on board then there would be room for optimism. There isn't. Burgess is the only player on the market of any value that we have any hope of getting. That's why he matters. That or we completely bottom out and bring the kids through (not that any of them have shown an ounce of improvement this year).

Rabbits20

Immortal
Its not about Sam. We've lost the last 3 games by an average of 23 points. We suck. If that's the best we've got, how can me make the finals. If we had someone good coming on board then there would be room for optimism. There isn't. Burgess is the only player on the market of any value that we have any hope of getting. That's why he matters. That or we completely bottom out and bring the kids through (not that any of them have shown an ounce of improvement this year).

It's an avg loss of 26 pts in the last 3 wks, not 23pts.

We've made the finals due to the fact we had been playing better than these last 3wks. We have some good performances and shocking ones. 7th is where we deserve to be actually.

Gray showed signs of improvement as did Grevsmuhl and Brown. So it's not all negative.

I also thinking the fact we are playing badly is affecting your judgement.

We have plenty of upside in us next yr.

souths_pride

Juniors
It's an avg loss of 26 pts in the last 3 wks, not 23pts.

We've made the finals due to the fact we had been playing better than these last 3wks. We have some good performances and shocking ones. 7th is where we deserve to be actually.

Gray showed signs of improvement as did Grevsmuhl and Brown. So it's not all negative.

I also thinking the fact we are playing badly is affecting your judgement.

We have plenty of upside in us next yr.
That's the attitude we should be taking. I'd also like to point out to all those doomsayers that the teams that have beaten us over the last three weeks have been good sides; I'd be much more worried if we were getting beaten by these scorelines by teams outside the eight.

souths_pride

Juniors
What I am getting at is the fact that we keep pining away for Sam Burgess to come back and save us is false thinking and incorrect in footballing terms. What if he came back and gets injured? Moreover, we shouldn't need him to come back; Souths are bigger than one player! In fact, this may seem crazy but I think not having him is good in a sense because we probably would have turned into the type of team that has a weak mindset and goes to pieces when their best player is gone, like Newcastle with Johns and Parra with Hayne; I think all this hype surrounding what Sam added to the team is destroying us mentally. The team we have is good enough; most other clubs would bite our arms off to have the roster we have. Basically the biggest problem we have at the moment is that we are not picking the right kind of players to suit the style of footy we are playing.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
That's the attitude we should be taking. I'd also like to point out to all those doomsayers that the teams that have beaten us over the last three weeks have been good sides; I'd be much more worried if we were getting beaten by these scorelines by teams outside the eight.

I'm very disappointed but I am trying to not let it get the better of me.

We've made finals 4yrs in a row under Madge:)

2 prelims, premiership, top 8 this year, WCC and 9's:D

If you'd have said Madge would help bring this much success 4 years ago people would have thought you were on drugs and from another planet!!!!!!!

That's right we have been beaten by very very good sides and we've had a season of injuries too which has impacted us.

doyen

Bench
I'm very disappointed but I am trying to not let it get the better of me.

We've made finals 4yrs in a row under Madge:)

2 prelims, premiership, top 8 this year, WCC and 9's:D

If you'd have said Madge would help bring this much success 4 years ago people would have thought you were on drugs and from another planet!!!!!!!

That's right we have been beaten by very very good sides and we've had a season of injuries too which has impacted us.

I don't even look at Madge's PCs now--I've learnt them off by heart!!

He's even a robot in those!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't even look at Madge's PCs now--I've learnt them off by heart!!

He's even a robot in those!

Read the positives in the post though about the success Madge has bought too.

You seem to just be focussing on negatives of Madge. You have to give a massive lot of credit too him too for what he's done.

doyen

Bench
Read the positives in the post though about the success Madge has bought too.

You seem to just be focussing on negatives of Madge. You have to give a massive lot of credit too him too for what he's done.

I give him credit for the past--but we're not in the past now!!

One needs to be able to make change when necessary;& by God we need it,but from what I've observed this season he is incapable of change!!

The team we have this year;minus Sam & Teo,is a different ball-game.

He's served up the same old game with the same old players all year.

And as you said;we get the same old blah blah blah at PCs!!

Dogmatix

Juniors
Maguire is not to blame, the players are the issue. Maguire is an excellent coach

The only area where I would lay blame on Maguire is recruitment. There are too many fringe first graders in the Souths' roster. But even on this point you cannot be too harsh on Maguire. He likely structured his roster for this year thinking he had Sam Burgess in the squad hence he has been buying cheap NSW Cup players the last few years. Then Sam goes off to union so he recruits Grant who was as good as was available at short notice. Grant has been disappointing most of the season and has not filled the gap left by Sam Burgess

The roster needs restructuring but there is nothing wrong with the coach. Souths could not even make the finals more than once in 20 years till Maguire arrived

Rabbits20

Immortal
Maguire is not to blame, the players are the issue. Maguire is an excellent coach

The only area where I would lay blame on Maguire is recruitment. There are too many fringe first graders in the Souths' roster. But even on this point you cannot be too harsh on Maguire. He likely structured his roster for this year thinking he had Sam Burgess in the squad hence he has been buying cheap NSW Cup players the last few years. Then Sam goes off to union so he recruits Grant who was as good as was available at short notice. Grant has been disappointing most of the season and has not filled the gap left by Sam Burgess

The roster needs restructuring but there is nothing wrong with the coach. Souths could not even make the finals more than once in 20 years till Maguire arrived

Agree, well said.

alien

Referee
I'd also like to point out to all those doomsayers that the teams that have beaten us over the last three weeks have been good sides; I'd be much more worried if we were getting beaten by these scorelines by teams outside the eight.

i'm not a doomsayer, but losing so badly over the last 3 games against good teams, makes the team look like they are only making up the numbers in the 8. it's the way they are losing, looking like there is no desire, that is concerning. hopefully they can turn it around quickly because the rest of the season is sudden death

souths_pride

Juniors

I agree with you in regards to the points you make about the coach not being responsible but not necessarily about his recruitment decisions. I think the players he has brought in have been good - Glenn Stewart, Tim Grant etc. I think its important that we remember that under the present salary cap, there is no way that any team can have a star studded line up 1 through to 17 like the Brisbane and Canberra teams of the 1990s. The most important thing is your 'squad players' are of a decent standard and can put in 6-7/10 performance on a regular basis. This is why the Roosters are good - they have a couple of really good players but the rest of their squad is full of 7/10 players who are fair consistent.