What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news from the Victory Cup??

screeny

Bench
I've been looking around the sites but can't seem to find anything, so was wondering what's going on. Did the Americans even get to Russia?

saddog

Juniors
The BARLA result is interesting - NZDF might not be that bad, which means the Russian effort might be better than it appeared. BARLA usually put a good team on the park.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Yes the Tomahawks did take a bouncing of 74 to 16 by Ireland. However, there are s lot of things you have to take into account.

The team was made up of 10 new players, which never started for the Tomahawks.

The Tomahawks were missing several key players. They include Shayne Mains, Jeff Preston, Mike Edwards, Danny Bull, Matt Astill, Kevin Deal, and Nate Smith.

Yes it is true that the Tomahawks plane had to make an emergency landing in Switzerland. Something electrical happened, and the plane had to land. The players were forced to spend the night in Switzerland.

When they finally did make it to Moscow, they had to plead with officials to get the game pushed back. They finally got it pushed back, but got very limited practice time.

Then you have a bombing in Chentneya, which killed 12 people and the president.

Then they played the Irish, and they still have to play the Russians.

Take everything into consideration, and I wonder how you would have played. If it was me I would want to get back to my family ASAP. Playing rugby comes second.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
Stop the press - you mean these boys didn't think they were going to Russia to play football? This score is down right embarrassing and regardless who is on the team, they should be ashamed of themselves. It was Ireland for sake not the Kangaroos!

Obviously this team was assembled of second class footy players and will be treated as such in Russia. The Russian team will no doubt make them want to run home to their families. Last I checked, footy was a man's game.

Absolutely - No Excuse.

ali

Bench
But we still don't know who played for Ireland. No one has confirmed yet if there are any national league players in the Irish side. Maybe after the flogging on St Pats day they decided they needed to strengthen the squad with semi pros.

roopy

Referee
There is starting to be a big difference in standard from the top American side to the second stringers I'm afraid.
It is a shame that the US team can't play more at home where they are a lot more competitive due to being able to field a full strength side.
They run the risk of not being asked back for this tournament if they don't send stronger teams in future.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Roopy

No risk about not coming back to the Victory Cup. The Americans willbe asked to come wether they field a strong team or a weak team. Alot in the RL world depends on the AMNRL and what happens in the states. The Russians know this, and so do man other counties. Just wait things are happening, and you will find out soon.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
I'll assume you're spekaing about the ever so rumored, pro league. This has been going around for years and until I actually see a team play a real game with paid players in the states, i'll believe it.

And what actually in the RL World depends on the AMNRL? Seems to me countries like Russia, France, and Lebanon are progressing quite well on their own. Even Italy had a team in the World 7's this year.

Finally - how many actual Americans (that is, players actually born in the states) are on the US roster? From watching the boys tour in Australia last time around it didn't look like many - with these kind of results, maybe it is time to actually throw an all-american team on the paddock.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Play;

I don't know you so I cannot judge you. However, I can say you do not know that much about International rugby. The IRL says in order for a player to play on a national team one of these criteria’s must be met. First, and for most of the Tomahawk team is that you have to be a citizen. Second is you must have a VISA. Thirdly is that you marry a US citizen. Finally, is that you must show a bloodline on one ancestry. So if parents or grandparent are U.S. born you can play on that team. All the players that play on the Tomahawk team fit into at least one of the four criteria. This is all what the IRL says.

As for the pro league you are 100% correct. You have herd about this for years now. However, you are not involved in it anyway. I am to an extent, and know a lot more then you do. I can tell you that it is a lot closer to happening then in was 2 years ago. This has been going on for years.

Finally, if you do think the U.S. is pivotal in RL in the world, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Tomahawk

playfooty

Juniors
So you're saying that if I wanted to play for Lebanon all I would need is a valid visa? Come on champ - let's be serious here. Really, run down the lineup and count the American born players. Few of the players on tour told me their wasn't many.

Since when has the US been a member of the IRL? Last I heard is they had applied but been denied.

Reread your last lines too - I don't think the US is pivotal in any form to the strength of international league as I said in my last thread. And if they are, how is that? Would be great though if the yanks could put together a side that could atleast compete. I'm rooting for you, but who've they beaten in the last five years? Japan. Ireland. Anyone else? Got to do better then that if you want to pull in the crowds.

ali

Bench
Moscow: Russia 64 df USA 8

Originally the USA was vitally important to the Victory Cup. The Russian public may not know much about Rugby League, but I'm sure the concept of Russia vs USA would be one that gets the average Russian very passionate. But as the public is becoming more educated on Rugby League, I'm sure a few are starting to realise that USA is not going to provide them with a competitive game. Until I hear any news on what sort of crowd was in attendance, I'll remain open minded on the on going importance of the US to this tournament.

But one thing is for certain, if they keep sending weakened teams, then they will be perenial easy beats. However saying all that, I would rather national teams enter this tournament than the likes of BARLA and the NZDF.

screeny

Bench
Not an expert on Russian or US RL but I would venture to say that the contest between the two would have been much closer if the St Pat's Day US line up was in Moscow.

Who knows what repercussions will result from the USA's two thrashings.

Latest posts