What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Day Dragons Roosters Round 8

Drakon

Juniors
There was a scrum late in the second half. If the ball had been picked up and brought around to the left hand side blind side, we had an overlap and probably would have scored. Such is footy!

Mickthedragon

Juniors
So unlucky to lose that way but cannot fault any of them. I said the other week that if the effort stays the way it is then we can all be proud and it sure was there today in droves. We can take losing loke that any day of the week cause they gave it their all and as long as it stays this way then geez,we will be annoying and tough to beat.
Very proud!

blacksafake

First Grade
Still think the McDonald no try was a try. If it did hit Ferguson on the shoulder it was going backwards anyway. This ref having to make a decision causes more trouble than it's worth. If Chechin had of said try I'm sure the bunker would of not had enough evidence to overturn. Anyway as a supporter who does not take losses so well, I'm ok with this one except for fu***ng golden point which is another topic.

Gareth67

First Grade
Still think the McDonald no try was a try. If it did hit Ferguson on the shoulder it was going backwards anyway. This ref having to make a decision causes more trouble than it's worth. If Chechin had of said try I'm sure the bunker would of not had enough evidence to overturn. Anyway as a supporter who does not take losses so well, I'm ok with this one except for fu***ng golden point which is another topic.

Golden point ? Spit it out blacksafake , get it out of your system once and for all .
They should crucify the idiots that came up with it . The biggest blight on the game since Ron Casey ( one of the very best footy commentators ) was taken off television !

As I said earlier , crucify the beggars and send what's left of them to New Zealand .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Found it interesting that Friz was capt when Widdop went off & Nighty was doing all the talking in a huddle after the game.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Found it interesting that Friz was capt when Widdop went off & Nighty was doing all the talking in a huddle after the game.

I think it's called peer respect, group leadership. Sometimes a captain takes a back seat, the other thing is I get the vibe Tyson isn't a big 'talker.'

I was more interested that Nighty did the press conference

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Gutsy gutsy effort, the worry is what it may take out of us moving forward, particularly with Widdop hurt and what must be a little doubt about De Belin after he appeard hurt during the game. Felt like a GF loss but it wasn't and we back up next week. Dugans goal under pressure was special.

FlameThrower

Bench
What a spectacle...record crowd and the atmosphere was fantastic. Both teams always lift for this clash and proud of our effort. Of more concern is Widdop's injury. Not only the captain, five eighth and goal kicker..he is the leader.
This will test us over the coming weeks...
BTW - I've always stated that in regular season, a draw is a draw. Only in the semis or finals should there be golden point.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
That almost felt like a grand final loss. Very painful but proud of the boys. Had Widdop been playing I think we win comfortably. It just goes to show how important he is to the team. Hope he isn't out for too long.

thebigredv

First Grade
The late shots by Evans on DeBelin and Frizell I believe were penalty-worthy today. They dodged a bullet, and in seasons gone by they would have been penalised. Wait til the victim doesn't get up. Frizell and JDB two tough fellas - legends.

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop injury update
Tue 25th April, 07:00PM
A A

1493112042156.jpg;pv4dbb4c559aa50b0e

2017 NRL - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

St George Illawarra Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth has provided the following update on the health of Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop.

"It looks like he's suffered a moderate to high grade medial ligament injury in his knee," Pickworth said. '

"He'll have scans on Wednesday which will determine the prognosis and return to play time frame."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/25/gareth_widdop_injury.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop facing extended stint on the sidelines
Tue 25 Apr, 2017, 8:02pm
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MartinJGabor

image.ashx

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop is set for an extended stint on the sidelines after he was forced from the field on the stroke of half-time with a medial ligament injury in his left knee during Tuesday's 13-12 golden point loss to the Roosters.

The injury will almost certainly rule the playmaker out of England's Test on May 6 against Samoa, with scans set to reveal how many NRL matches he will miss as a result of the knock he picked up while trying to escape the in-goal area.

‌‌St George Illawarra Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provided an update on the situation.

"It looks like he's suffered a moderate to high grade medial ligament injury in his knee," Pickworth said.

"He'll have scans on Wednesday which will determine the prognosis and return to play time frame."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the injury was "not good" but was proud of the way his side fought on without their main playmaker.

Kurt Mann looms as the man most likely to slot into the halves for Sunday's game against the Storm, and McGregor said it was a case of next man up for the Red V.

"I don't know how bad it is yet because it's only fresh, but it's a medial so I'm not sure the time frame on it," he said after the game.

"Gareth doesn't like coming off, so coming off and not being able to run… he won't be playing [in the Test], one would think.

"We're a squad – that was the message. Whoever takes that position is ready [and] he'll know our systems.

"There's a good opportunity for Kurt to play a bit in the halves. You don't replace Gareth Widdop, but he's trained there before and he's a very capable NRL player. We're comfortable whoever comes in and wears the number.

"I don't want to make an excuse on a day like today because as I told the boys, they did what they could in the circumstances."

Dragons winger Jason Nightingale said the side lost a bit of "leadership and communication" once Widdop left the field, but backed Mann to get the job in his stead.

"Kurt has trained there a lot in the pre-season and he knows the way we play and he's fitted into that really well,' he said.

"I thought Josh McCrone did a good job stepping up in his place. We weren't as sharp as we would have been if our halves were there, but there are no excuses."

http://www.nrl.com/widdop-facing-ex...elines/tabid/10874/newsid/106042/default.aspx

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Stay strong Saints fans.

We have a genuine team for the first time since 2009. Widdop injury will test the true mettle of this years squad especially with storm up next. It's a long season and we will be there for the run home. We have a football team, finally.

Keep it in context. A great day for us to remember those who gave their lives so we could go to a football game in peace with our family.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Widdop missed an easy shot at goal which cost us the game and Dugan also gave away a penalty goal. Hopefully better luck next time.

gaz_head

Juniors
All will be forgotten when we 'upset' Melbourne and Scum without Gareth. We aren't a one man team like some other teams. Our props are our key to success and when you still have players like McIness, Friz, Thompson, JDB, Dugan, Lafai and Nightingale, we can string some wins together in Widdops absence. They won't be pretty wins, which we have become used to this year but wins none the less. Gareth will come back in a team full of confidence which will aid us in a top 4 spot.
I have put today's loss down to us being shell shocked with Gaz going down injured on such a big day. It's evident what we need to fix and we have shown we are capable of doing that for the very next game.

This Year?

Immortal
Losing sux but this season losing feels alot worse than it usually does..guess that means we have a good side.

Proud of the boys when they were under so much adversity. We finally got to see how it is when we have to chase points and without our 1st choice halves pairing.

We had massive stage fright though and looked completely disorganised after Widdop went off.

Losing against the Storm next week will be a nightmare come true.

Latest posts