What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Test Tickets Sales

ali

Bench
Well someone was going to start this thread eventually, so it might as well be me. Has anyone bought a ticket lately? There has been a lot of mentions of this game in the media recently, so hopefully it has generated a boom in sales. Has there been much advertising in QLD?

If we don't get any responses I might go and get my ticket, though I was hoping to wait until the week before the match so we can get up to date pax numbers. Here's hoping I'm forced to buy early due to massive demand.

My prediction is, if we can keep the big names injury free, it will sell out the day before the game. If the ARL made a massive effort to promote it, it could sell out a week or so early.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Will be buying tickets in a week or so... Spent far too much money at F1, on origin tickets, harper tickets lately... Will post PAX when i get them

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Sould start selling well now,Benji is back,SBW back next week,Hunt maybe playing for kiwis(will sell tickets in brisbane).Also guys like Pritchard,Soliola,Toopi etc are all in great form.Should be a cracker!

coldhardbitch

Juniors
My dad bought tickets for me him and my brother. I've been in Britain fr the last 5 weeks so unabl;e to buy them. I think it will easilly sell-out. Johns's last rep game, plus SBW, Hunt, Marshall, and the rest in NZ. Plus the trevenge factor, and everybody now rates the Kiwis as a serious challenge to Australia.

I loved the game last year, and hope it will be just as memorable this year.

ali

Bench
I'm not too confident. I'll try and get my tickets at lunch tomorrow so we can get an update.

langpark

First Grade
A Courier Mail article the other day was fairly certain that Lockyer would be the only QLD'er chosen. If this does happen, i reckon there'll be a boycott and less than 15,000 will show up. If Lockyer is the only Qld'er chosen, I for one would 100% support a boycott of this game.

ali

Bench
langpark said:
A Courier Mail article the other day was fairly certain that Lockyer would be the only QLD'er chosen. If this does happen, i reckon there'll be a boycott and less than 15,000 will show up. If Lockyer is the only Qld'er chosen, I for one would 100% support a boycott of this game.

See this is the problem with the way the ARL markets games. We had a goilden opportunity 2 weeks back, where Benji was fit and Joey announced this would be his last Test. An aggressive marketing campaign could have filled 3 quarters of the stadium whilst all this good news was out there. Now we get the doubts about QLDers being picked (only in QLD would they care) Benji gone and Hunt not playing.

The ARL policy of sitting back and letting the media publicise the game for you does not work 9 times out of 10. Admittadly i don't know what's going on up there, but I would have had billboards plastered with Johns, Lockyer, Williams and Marshall.

I now fear we are in for another test with a 3 quarters full stadium that should have been sold out.

yakstorm

First Grade
ali said:
I now fear we are in for another test with a 3 quarters full stadium that should have been sold out.

Promotion for the Bundaberg Test, like Origin and City Country is done by the NRL. The ARL outsources it to the NRL, and is charged appropiately.

Also its a bit unrealistic to suddenly think just cause there are 'banners' or billboards out there that 75% of the tests' tickets will be snapped up because as history shows, with the exception of Brisbane Origin, NO rugby league match sells such a significant amount of tickets this far out in the 'selling cycle' and that includes even Grand Finals.

I very much doubt, the buying habbit of RL fans is going to change that quickly, so blowing the advertising budget over a month before the test and then just hoping it sells itself from then on, Im sure is a strategy that would be ridiculed on here as well if it was adopted.

ali

Bench
yakstorm said:
Promotion for the Bundaberg Test, like Origin and City Country is done by the NRL. The ARL outsources it to the NRL, and is charged appropiately.

Also its a bit unrealistic to suddenly think just cause there are 'banners' or billboards out there that 75% of the tests' tickets will be snapped up because as history shows, with the exception of Brisbane Origin, NO rugby league match sells such a significant amount of tickets this far out in the 'selling cycle' and that includes even Grand Finals.

I very much doubt, the buying habbit of RL fans is going to change that quickly, so blowing the advertising budget over a month before the test and then just hoping it sells itself from then on, Im sure is a strategy that would be ridiculed on here as well if it was adopted.

Well has there ever been a period of such anticipation for a test match as there was 2 weeks back? I'm not suggesting blowing the budget, but surely it's much easier to market a football game when there are positive vibes around it, than when there are negative vibes around it.

Why can't Test matches sell out as quickly as Origins? If we have the anticipation of a contest, then I can't see why it's not possible.

Hindyscrack

Bench
langpark said:

Typical QLD attitude... Players will be picked on their performance, not which state they are from...

Thurston should be ahead of Lockyer anyway, an Mini is a better fulll back...

Razor

Coach

And guarentee Brisbane never gets another Test again, because it shows that the public isn't interested in Test football if they get such a small crowd. Especially since there hasn't been a Test in Brisbane for years.

Thurston should be ahead of Lockyer anyway, an Mini is a better fulll back...

Thurston, and Sing are the only 2 QLD players that deserve to get in. And Sing has retired from rep football.

They shouldn't just pick players because they want more QLDers in the team. And think of the players who'll be thinking "I don't deserve this, I only got in because I'm a QLDer" - it's happened before. Take a look at Carlaw and Meyers. Good average 1st graders, nothing more, but because they wanted Broncos in the team, they were picked. It ruined their careers, it turned them from good average first graders into average resever graders. Because they knew they didn't deserve the honour, so it totally affected their entire career. Ruined them mentally.

And if they pick QLDers so there is an even representation in the team why not pick Matt Peterson so WA has a player in the team as well?

Ari Gold

Bench
Razor said:
And guarentee Brisbane never gets another Test again, because it shows that the public isn't interested in Test football if they get such a small crowd. Especially since there hasn't been a Test in Brisbane for years.

Could you tell me where the Anzac test was held last year?

langpark

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
Shows razor doesn't know 5hit.

Here are my main points:

Lockyer, Hodges, Thurston & Sing are the only Qld'ers that deserve selection.

Brisbane has proven that it will support International League, with a 40,000+ crowd for a game last year that didn't have all that much going for it.

If one Qld'er is chosen, the we have the right to boycott the match, wat an insult it would be for the ARL to expect the Qld puclic to turn up in numbers to watch a NSW warm up match.

How many tickets would be sold if the Aussie side was Qld plus Johns? If the game was in Sydney?

ali

Bench
langpark said:
Shows razor doesn't know 5hit.

Here are my main points:

Lockyer, Hodges, Thurston & Sing are the only Qld'ers that deserve selection.

Brisbane has proven that it will support International League, with a 40,000+ crowd for a game last year that didn't have all that much going for it.

If one Qld'er is chosen, the we have the right to boycott the match, wat an insult it would be for the ARL to expect the Qld puclic to turn up in numbers to watch a NSW warm up match.

How many tickets would be sold if the Aussie side was Qld plus Johns? If the game was in Sydney?

Sing has retired and Hodges plays on the same side as gaz. What about big Petro, Steve Price or Ben Ross upfront. Remember the Saints props are out.

Razor

Coach

Sold out.

I didn't say the Brisbane game wouldn't sell out. I said if the Brisbane public boycot the game which the Broncos members on this forum say they are going to do, they won't get another one.

I reckon Petero and Steve Price would have to be up there having toured last year. Lockyer is a certainty as captain. Others in line would be Thurston, Hodges, Bowen, Sing (if he chooses to play), Tonie Carroll and maybe even Steve Bell or Shane Tronc as bolters. Luke O'Donnell is a Cowboy so he's almost a Queenslander too. Slater and Ty Williams would also been in line if available. There should be at least a few Qlders and surely more than just Lockyer.

Razor

Coach

Brisbane.

Which is exactly my point. There hasn't been a test in Brisbane for years

years = more than 1 year. The Anzac test last year was earlier in the year. So it's been more than 1 year. Years does not need to mean 10-15 years. Years is just that. More than 1.

Razor

Coach
Luke O'Donnell is a Cowboy so he's almost a Queenslander too.

He's a NSW player. He played 51 games for Balmain and Wests Tigers before going to the Cowboys. His first grade debut was in 1999 and he went to the Cowboys in 2004.

Steve Bell or Shane Tronc as bolters.

Both should make the team

I reckon Petero and Steve Price would have to be up there having toured last year. Lockyer is a certainty as captain. Others in line would be Thurston, Hodges, Bowen, Sing (if he chooses to play), Tonie Carroll and maybe even

Thurston and Sing should be the only ones who should be picked from that list.