What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appetite Suppressants

I am thinking about taking a supplement for this. Mostly my meals are OK but I find it quite difficult to not snack at times particularly after dinner.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with particular products? I'm not that interested in the whole speeding up of metabolism just looking at something that will make me feel fuller and less hungry between meals.

Parra

Referee
B&H Special Filter used to do the trick for me. Great appetite suppressant.

Fordy20

Juniors
Post dinner exercise and water usually works best for me. I have used BCAAs, tea, psyllium husks and fermented milk drinks and whey with some success as well although some of them may be counted as meals depending on how strict your nutrition is.

GuardDog

Juniors
The best appetite suppresants have DMAA in it.Sadly it's banned thanks to young idiots mixing it with party drugs.Used properly following the guidelines it worked.Jack3d, 1MR and the like had it but now its just loaded with caffeine and other weak stimulants.If you do the google search though you there are websites from the US of A that still sell these goodies. Supps with ephedra also work but also banned here in Oz.
Or you can buy the original sudafed from the chemist which means having your drivers license recorded to make sure you don't buy enough to cook speed.The biggest drawback from suppressants loaded with stimulants is it can deprive you of sleep if taken too close to bedtime. So be sure to train hard enough when taking these pre workout supps.

Cletus

First Grade
Snack on bananas. They're very filling because of the fibre, don't have a lot of kilojoules and contain magnesium and other muscle repairing goodies.

Jimbo

Immortal
Assuming you want to supress your appetite for weight management purposes, try substituting some of your carb intake with protein

Protein takes longer to digest, so you don't feel as hungry. It also maintains muscle mass if you're trying to lose weight

Frailty

First Grade
I wouldn't use any appetite suppressant, namely because most of them are a rubbish waste of money.
Here is what I would do:

1. Focus on consuming more water and that you are well hydrated. As the body becomes hydrated, your body will feel hunger pains as it will be able to get water from the food that you eat.

2. Consider more frequent, but smaller meals. Physiologically there is no benefit in different frequency of meals, however psychologically it could be useful by allowing you to eat throughout the day (and night).

3. Reevaluate your macronutrient intake to increase higher satiety foods (as Jimbo posted - protein is higher satiety than carbohydrates and is important in maintain muscle during a caloric deficit).

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I don't know if an appetite suppressant (there are some that work amazingly, hard to find though. 90% are garbage) is really what you need considering what you said in your OP. There's some great advice in here, my only real suggestion would be tea. I make these huge cups of tea with stevia + milk and a bit of vanilla whenever I'm hungry to the point of wanting to eat again. By the time I finish drinking it I pretty much don't even want to look at food.

Someone

Bench
shut your mouth and stay away from the pantry.

like any type of addiction or overdose its a simple matter of will power. If you want it bad enough, go and get it.

Cletus

First Grade
Silly question but are protein shakes good for fat loss?

Yes they are used as slimming shakes and meal replacements, I assume they don't have carbs in them though

shut your mouth and stay away from the pantry.

like any type of addiction or overdose its a simple matter of will power. If you want it bad enough, go and get it.

Maybe but you have to find out what works for you. No point starving yourself for a few days then binging like a mofo. I think you need to work out what works for you and if that means losing weight slowly because you binge on rubbish then do that. I try to not keep junk in my fridge but there are plenty of biscuits at work if I'm feeling weak.

goodplayer

Juniors
B&H Special Filter used to do the trick for me. Great appetite suppressant.
disgusting vomit . never smoke ok. its not natural for the lungs, heart, blood:(

Snack on bananas. They're very filling because of the fibre, don't have a lot of kilojoules and contain magnesium and other muscle repairing goodies.
bannans are full of fruit sugar ;-)

Cletus

First Grade
bannans are full of fruit sugar ;-)

Yes but they're also full of fibre so are very filling, and at around 400kj per 100g aren't very energy dense. Maybe if you're on a 'no carb' type diet that might be a problem but if not they're great for a snack.

Frailty

First Grade
Silly question but are protein shakes good for fat loss?

Can they be? Yes...

Are they? Not necessarily.

Protein shakes are simply protein supplements, just like eating a high protein food.

As long as you're in a caloric deficit, you will lose fat.

Latest posts