What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we the 2009 champions

SET2JT

Juniors
With the storm loseing the premiership and us winning the minor premiership, does that make us the best team in the comp for the 09 season?

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
We were the best team in the comp for the 2009 season regardless of Melbourne ... the best team in the comp is always the one that wins the Minor Premiership.

The Finals series is added on to the end .... and then the winner of that gets all the accolades.

If Parramatta had won that match, how could anyone argue (with a straight face) that they were the best team in the comp because they ran into form in the last 10 weeks and beat teams who were better than them across the entire season but ran out of steam right at the end?

But in answer to your question ... no, we are not the 2009 Champions, and we don't deserve to be on account of not making it through the Finals.

SET2JT

Juniors
What i meant is in time the history books will show 2009 minor premiors STGeorge and thats all.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
What i meant is in time the history books will show 2009 minor premiors STGeorge and thats all.
No - it will show that we were the Minor Premiers, and it will also show that Melbourne were the Grand Final winners ..... just that it will say Melbourne were stripped of their 2009 Premiership due to salary cap breaches.

Deacon

First Grade
Only NRL team to hold any official silverware currently, just check the Leagues club

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Totally Agree. Dragons were the best in 2009 before they rorted the Finals campaign which was unfair to teams which were knocked out because of the scum and should have been in the final against Parra. Actually Saints would not have had to play Parra in the game 1 of the finals if the Storm were booted out when you think of. They would of played the Tigers.

On top of that the Dragons played the cheats twice in 2009 as opposed to the Dogs who only played them once and still finished 1st. Reason I say Dogs is because they finished equal 1st and whinged like bi^%es and still do.

Manly came 2nd in 2007 and should therefore be awarded Minor Premiers in 2007 and therefore the best team in 2007.

Their chances of winning 2010 as well as everyone else in the comp has surely increased tenfold.

Only thing is whoever wins this year will have to cop the "They only won cause Melbourne were knocked out" excuse from all opposition fans / players and media which will be a bummer.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Good point re: the 2010 premiers will cop it.
Doubt it .... fans who have any sense would realise that the 2010 Premiers would be rightful Premiers .... it just makes Brisbane 2006 and Manly 2008 even more impressive given that they beat a salary cap cheating team.

Ironically, Brisbane have their own salary cap advantages by being a one team town, and Manly is ... Manly ... lol.

NO NO NO NO NO, i wont sink to Parra and Manly level to try and claim a title by default, history will read Melburne won it but they were stripped of their title thats it...

kram

Juniors
Doubt it .... fans who have any sense would realise that the 2010 Premiers would be rightful Premiers .... it just makes Brisbane 2006 and Manly 2008 even more impressive given that they beat a salary cap cheating team.

Actually it makes them look less like premiers. You have to understand that if Melbourne were honest and players moved on to other teams, the make-up of every team in the comp as they stand now would be different.

Say Slater went to the Tigers, and they let Marshall go to Cronulla. Cameron Smith went to Brisbane, so Ennis went straight from the Saints to Penrith, signed a five-year deal and never went to the Bulldogs. The flow on effect over the years changes the make of all teams, and basically, has made everything achieved in the last 4-5 years tainted.

Hell, what would have happened if Inglis never signed with Melbourne? Would he be playing for NSW (Bowraville jnr) if he had been playing all this time with Souths?

kram

Juniors
NO NO NO NO NO, i wont sink to Parra and Manly level to try and claim a title by default, history will read Melburne won it but they were stripped of their title thats it...

If Parra were awarded the Premiership for last year, the NRL is basically saying that they won the game. With that in mind, EVERY team throughout the year who played Melbourne should get two points for the win. Which would mean Parra didn't make the top 8. The Tigers, Cowboys and Souths all would finish above Parra. So how do you win a premiership from tenth?

God no. Can't believe this thread exists (or any "does that mean we won" threads). Melbourne won the premiership but throughout the years the record books will show * (stripped). No team won those years. Maybe it's not fair but after the fact, it is all that can be done. If I was a Manly or Eels fan I would be pissed off but I would not want a meaningless title...and thats what it is. Saints bowed out of the finals and don't deserve to claim anything.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Imagine if Dragons were in Manly/Eels posityion & we lost to Storm, then the next year they gave us the premiership after they stripped it off Storm.

" whoo..... yeah...... great. "

It would be the most hollow feeling ever. I'd refuse to think we were premiers.

In conclusion: f**k you Storm.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good point re: the 2010 premiers will cop it.
Doubt it.

By grand final time, no one will a give a stuff about the Storm.

They have bigger problems, like trying to be around in 2011. A chunk of their squad will be looking for other teams.

If they keep losing backers, they'll be gone by xmas.

For a lot of fans, it'll be like they never existed.

Dragons were the best in 2009 before they rorted the Finals campaign which was unfair to teams which were knocked out because of the scum and should have been in the final against Parra.

Only thing is whoever wins this year will have to cop the "They only won cause Melbourne were knocked out" excuse from all opposition fans / players and media which will be a bummer.

Nothing says desperation like "does that mean we won" sort of stuff.
I understand the original post was in relation to purely 'record books' but probably a no there too.

To suggest we were rorted in the finals is a bit rich.
Its like crying wolf against all the times we actually HAVE been rorted.
Not that anyone outside the club looks upon those crimes seriously or fairly, but rest assured nobody will ever listen to those just arguments when you claim it at 'EVERY' opportunity. We ran out of steam, simple tragedy as that.

As far as the 2010 comp being tainted.
Does anyone here really think other supporters, the media et al would ever let us win a comp and actually enjoy it after all these years. For sure, we will enjoy it nonetheless, but you have to know they won't take it graciously. With or without this storm debacle.

Here end rant.

Doubt it.

By grand final time, no one will a give a stuff about the Storm.

They have bigger problems, like trying to be around in 2011. A chunk of their squad will be looking for other teams.

If they keep losing backers, they'll be gone by xmas.

For a lot of fans, it'll be like they never existed.

It is exactly what I am hoping. Besides, the premiers this season will deserve it, as much as we did in 2002.

No doubt some idiots will attempt to stick in a boot.

Maybe it could be Storm fans?

Latest posts