What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
More to come from spine as St George Illawarra Dragons prepare for Newcastle Knights clash
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_129_2894_1756_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leading the way: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop scores a try against the Gold Coast in Toowoomba on Sunday. Picture: Darren England/AAP Image
  • Gareth Widdop believes there is still plenty more improvement in St George Illawarra’s spine after blowing away the Gold Coast.

The Dragons return to Wollongong to host a much-improved Newcastle side on Sunday having won their opening three games to sit top of the NRL table.

The new halves combination of Widdop and Ben Hunt along with electric young fullback Matt Dufty and hooker Cameron McInnes has shone in the early rounds, particularly in the 46-point drubbing of the Titans.

But captain Widdop said there was more to come from the team’s new-look spine despite their excellent start.

“I’d like to think we’ve done enough work in the pre-season. We had limited time but we’ve done a hell of a lot of work,” he said.

“You saw it coming together [against the Titans]. I think a lot of things stuck which is great, we’ve worked really hard on that. Last week [against Cronulla] we were a bit off but we worked hard during the week and managed to put on a few points. The more we play together the better we’ll become.

“I think when you bring in a traditional halfback I suppose it frees myself up a little bit and Ben as well. And he’s a good ball runner as well. I think myself, Ben, Duff, the more we’re linking and playing together we’re less predictable and that’s what we’ve been working on. We’re enjoying it at the moment.”

The Dragons will take plenty of momentum into the clash against Newcastle for their first game at WIN Stadium this season. It is the first of a block of three home matches in a row, with St George Illawarra hosting South Sydney at Kogarah in between visits by the Knights and Cronulla to Wollongong.

I think the more we’re linking and playing together we’re less predictable and that’s what we’ve been working on.

Gareth Widdop
    But Widdop said their excellent start would count for nothing if they were unable to back it up against the Knights.

“As long as we go out next week and live up to our standards and play the way we want to play. But if we go out there and we don’t live up to our standards then obviously it’s a win but it’s disappointing,” he said.

“For us it’s about taking it a week at a time, being consistent in our efforts in all areas, working hard throughout the week in training. We know it’s still early, it’s only round three but we’ll certainly take a lot of confidence from the last few weeks and move forward from this now.”

• http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...spine-as-dragons-prepare-for-knights/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
dufftym1803257.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty beats drum for long-term stint at fullback
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Tue 27 Mar 2018, 08:01 PM

Matt Dufty’s position in the St George Illawarra Dragons’ spine has been likened to that of a budding percussionist who is "in a four-piece band looking for a regular drummer".

That quote, courtesy of Dragons director of list management Ian Millward, sums up the situation the in-form fullback is in as he aims to become a long-term member of the side’s spine alongside hooker Cameron McInnes and halves Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt.

Dufty, a Dragons junior, certainly hit all the right notes in the 54-8 thrashing of the Gold Coast Titans where he scored a hat-trick and was involved in plenty.

The Dragons have signed Hunt for life while Widdop and McInnes are both on board until the end of 2021.

When Josh Dugan joined the Sharks, a window opened for a fullback to stake his claim.

Despite playing just seven NRL games in 2017, the Dragons extended Dufty's deal to the end of 2019 with the hope that he would prove he was the man to hopefully become their long-term custodian.

"There were probably four youngsters in our ranks that we wanted to give an opportunity to and create a pathway for and Duff got the jump on the other guys," Millward told NRL.com.

"Our long-term goal is to have a long-term spine and we gave Duff an extra year before the season started to give him some confidence, stability and a great opportunity to nail that spot.

"If he does well, he will join the other three…although obviously, we would have to negotiate with his agent.

"He loves playing for the Dragons. He’s a Dragon junior and if he takes his opportunity, he will reap the benefits.

"It is a bit like he is in a four-piece band looking for a regular drummer."

Millward said Dufty still had plenty of development to do but noted his "genuine speed, genuine vision and passing ala Ben Barba", and his record of scoring the most tries in under 20s history.

Dufty told NRL.com he knew in the pre-season the fullback spot was "up for grabs" and that he needed to improve a key area to stake his claim.

"I wasn’t the best trainer and when I was 18 or 19, my mindset was that I was just going to make it, but [former under 20s coach] Ben Hornby took me aside and said if I wanted to play first grade for a long time, it was all about the little one-per-centers," he said.

"I trained really hard this pre-season and did everything the best I could. Then coming into the trials, I knew I had to play good footy and Mary [Paul McGregor] gave me the shot for round one."

duftym-180325706.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Matt Dufty. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Dufty said he had relished playing off the back of Widdop and Hunt's magic.

"It is a once in a lifetime combination and having them both inside you giving you the ball, you can't ask for anything more," he said.

"Hunty hadn't played with us before and in the pre-season there was a real big emphasis on him getting that combination with Gareth. The trials showed us we still needed a bit of work and the spine went away and put in the hard yards and since round one we've been firing."

To hark back to Millward's "drummer" reference, if the Dragons spine is a four-piece band then they are playing like The Beatles in their prime, with Dufty in the role of Ringo Starr.

He certainly starred against the Titans, although he is savvy enough to realise that three outstanding performances don't make a season.

"That was only my 10th NRL game. I've still got a lot of work to do and I am ready to do it," he said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/27...s-the-drum-for-a-long-term-stint-at-fullback/

getsmarty

Immortal
bremner-and-apps-17120272-2.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Apps, Bremner make Southern CRL team
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 03:24 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons ambassadors Kezie Apps and Sam Bremner have been selected to represent the Country Rugby League Southern side to play their Northern counterparts on Saturday, April 14.

The Southern side – coached by Dragons Community Officer Adam Bezzina – was picked following a selection trial in Yass last weekend with female players from the Illawarra, Canberra, Western Division and Riverina regions participating.

For others like Mikayla Malakai and Maddison Perceval – who played for Illawarra's Tarsha Gale Cup side in 2017 – it's their first taste of representative football.

"It's a great pathway for the girls to go through, considering too the announcement of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership this week," Bezzina said.

"Obviously with the seven Jillaroos in the squad, it will only add further experience to the girls picked from last weekend's game in Yass who haven't had a chance to represent at the highest level yet."

The CRL Northern and Southern Women's Trial represents another step in the sequential pathway for female players to progress from local competitions to the elite level and will feature, alongside current Jillaroos and NRL elite representatives, some of the brightest young talent from across regional New South Wales.

CRL Northern
Alicia Martin (CRL Newcastle)
Amy Broadhead (CRL Newcastle)
Bec Young (CRL Newcastle)
Caitlin Moran (CRL Newcastle)
Emma Gillogoly (South Sydney)
Emma Young (CRL Newcastle)
Eunice Grimes (South Sydney)
Georgia Smyth (North Newcastle)
Holli Wheeler (CRL Newcastle)
Isabelle Kelly (CRL Newcastle)
Jayme Fressard (CRL Newcastle)
Jerry Burgmann (CRL Newcastle)
Kyara Nean (South Sydney)
Kylie Hilder (CRL Newcastle)
Nakia Davis-Welsh (South Sydney)
Ngalika Barker (CRL Newcastle)
Sharon McGrady (South Sydney)
Skye Lovett (CRL Newcastle)
Tayla Predebon (Hastings/North Newcastle)
Taylah Gray (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Coach: Mick Young

CRL Southern
Ella Harris (Group 10)
Emma Hickey (Riverina)
Gab Suckling (Yass)
Georgie Brooker (Cronulla Caringbah)
Grace Mooney (Group 10)
Haylee Lepaio (Group 10)
Jamie Ann-Wright (Corrimal)
Kezie Apps (Helensburgh)
Maddison Perceval (Helensburgh)
Mikayla Malaki (Corrimal)
Lauretta Leao-Seve (Riverina)
Rebecca Ford (Group 10)
Ruan Sims (Cronulla Caringbah)
Rikeya Horne (Corrimal)
Sally Dwyer (Group 10)
Samantha Bremner (Helensburgh)
Shakiah Tungai (Avondale)
Shannon Pike (Riverina)
Talesha Quinn (Cronulla Caringbah)
Vanessa Foliaki (Brisbane Easts)
Coach: Adam Bezzina

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/28/apps-bremner-make-scrl-team/

getsmarty

Immortal
First forward picked for Blues must be Jack de Belin, says Steve Roach
League
MjgzMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNzYyNzU1MzZkYWFiYmEyMTVmY2RiNzcxM2RjNzNjODB8MjgzMjAxODU=

Mitchell Pearce and Jack De Belin during NSW training.Source: News Corp Australia
JACK de Belin should be the first forward picked for NSW.
That’s the stunning declaration Blues great Steve Roach has made.

The 27-year-old has pulled on the Country Origin jumper for the past two years but after starting the season in red hot form for St George Illawarra, he’s a walk-up starter to make his Origin debut.

LIVE stream every 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership game on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week trial now > If you’re overseas, you can still stream it LIVE on Watch NRL >

“I like him. If I was picking an Origin and I’m not a selector, but I probably should be, I would pick Jack de Belin as my first forward picked,” Roach told Fox League.

“Best one on one defender in the game. He’s got a wonderful technique. He’s really upped the ante in his take-ups in the middle of the ruck. He can offload the football.

MjgzMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDMvMjcvNjcxODUxXzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODAzMjcxMzUxNDAuanBnfDI4MzIwMTg1

'De Belin 1st forward picked'

“Mobility and speed now in the front row, I think they’ve got well case there at St George Illawarra and I think he’s the man leading the way.

With more than 100 top grade games to his name, de Belin is averaging less than one missed tackle per game.

In his eighth season, de Belin was named in an extended NSW side to take on Queensland in the series opener last year.

“He’s been hanging around the State of Origin for so long (as) 18th- 19th man. It’s about time we gave him a crack,” Roach said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/fi...h/news-story/367bbfb5adaacdb85b6b985c6fd4e2e3

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Straight talking de Belin makes Blues pitch
Dragons Den News
r0_0_5216_3419_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TICKET: Three golden tickets remain hidden in XBlades boots offering the chance to meet XBlades players like Jack de Belin. Picture: Sylvia Liber
ASK most NRL players about their State Origin selection chances and the stock-standard responses will fly thick and fast.

‘One week at a time’, ‘if the opportunity were to come up’, ‘that’s not my focus, my focus is on playing good footy each week’ and so on and so forth.

Dragons forward Jack de Belin isn’t most players and, in an increasingly vanilla media landscape, it’s nothing short of refreshing.

“Every time I get asked the question I always say the same thing, I want to play Origin and I reckon I’m made for it,” de Belin said.

“For a few years now I’ve had the confidence where I believe I’m one of the best at what I do.

“I think the way I play, and what I do, would translate perfectly to the Origin arena.

“I’ve been saying that for a fair while now and I think, to start this year, I’ve taken my game to another level.

“The fact the question gets asked a lot… hopefully it means I’m in the discussion and that I can get a start this year.”

Now 27, the two-time Country representative has been part of Emerging Blues camps in recent seasons and was 19th man during last year’s series loss under Laurie Daley.

It’s a long time on the fringes but de Belin says Brad Fittler’s ascension to the role has left the door open for those who’ve been knocking on it for some time.

“It’s hard sometimes when you’re not getting the raps you think you deserve, or you see other people in similar positions getting pumped up in the media when you play against them every week and you know it’s not warranted,” he said.

“A lot of it’s out of your control, at the end of the day you can’t control that. All you can do is play good footy and hope everything else takes care of itself.

“I know this is the year now where, if I want to be playing Origin, I have to put my hand up and show what I’m about.”

It’s surely music to ears of new NSW coach Brad Fittler as he looks to usher in a new era for the Blues, particularly given de Belin is making his loudest pitch for selection on the paddock.

“Every time I get asked the question I always say the same thing, I want to play Origin and I reckon I’m made for it.”

Jack de Belin
“I’m trying to play with a bit more aggression and a bit more mongrel,” de Belin said.

“I’ve been around a long time now and it obviously takes a middle forward a while to really find their bearings.

“I know my game inside out now, what my strengths are and what aspects of the game are more suited to me.

“I don’t have to go into games worrying about too much. I can just go out and play a little bit ad-lib and free-flowing, the way I like to play.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...n-reading-from-his-own-origin-script/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
COMMUNITY

Dragons support Kids Big Day Out and Walk for Autism
Author
Timestamp
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 05:25 PM

Dragons Community support and present programs around three community pillars that reflect the needs within our local community.

• Health and wellbeing
  • Education and skill
  • Social inclusion
This Easter Sunday, at our WIN Stadium home game against the Newcastle Knights, the Dragons will be hosting a very special event. For the eighth-consecutive year, Dragons have invited 200 kids and their families to the Dragons' Big Day Out.

Families associated with Aspect Illawarra (Autism Australia), Para Meadows and the Disability Trust will be treated to a very special day in the Champions Room.

They will be able to interact with reptiles, meet super heroes Superman and Spiderman, have their faces painted and enjoy a party lunch. Parents and kids are also treated to watching their local super heroes, the Dragons, display their skills on field.

Walk for Autism

Dragons Ambassador Kezie Apps and Tarsha Gale representatives Madison Weatherall and Eleni Amone supported Aspect Illawarra this week during their Walk for Autism Walkathon.

If you would like to support the Walk for Autism Walkathon, go to the following link: https://www.walkforautism.org.au/AspectSouthCoastSchool

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/29/dragons-support-kids-big-day-out-and-walk-for-autism/

getsmarty

Immortal
Secure your corporate hospitality package
Author
Timestamp
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 01:34 PM

With the 2018 NRL season in full swing, it's now time to organise your corporate hospitality package to the exciting number of Dragons home matches at WIN Stadium, Jubilee Oval and the Anzac Day match at Allianz Stadium.

There are a number of corporate hospitality packages available, including private suites, open air boxes and three function room packages.

Dragons ambassador and corporate partnership executive Shaun Timmins believes corporate hospitality is for everyone.

"Corporate hospitality is a fantastic way to entertain clients, reward staff, or simply enjoy a Dragons match in style with family and friends," Timmins said.

"Packages can be purchased for the season or on a one match casual basis.

"Our corporate sales team can tailor a package to suit all needs and budgets."

Corporate Hospitality Packages:

• Chairman's club – premium three course sit down dining package
  • Captains lounge – substantial cocktail style function ideal for networking
  • Legends club – casual cocktail style function sure to impress your guests
  • Private suites – private indoor/outdoor facility ideal for entertaining clients
  • Open air boxes – private seating enclosure perfect for family & friends
To book your corporate hospitality package or to enquire, visit: https://corporate.dragons.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/29/secure-your-corporate-hospitality-package/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: McInnes good fit for Blue jumper
Dragons Den News
r0_0_1948_2634_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BOLTER: Cameron McInnes is pushing his Origin case this season. Picture: AAP

THERE are not shortage of Dragons putting themselves in the State of Origin selection frame, but NSW back-rower Tyson Frizell believes hooker Cameron McInnes is shaping as a Blues bolter.

Incumbent Blues No. 9 Nathan Peats will take some unseating given his performances in his debut series last season, but he’s been sharing the Titans hooking role with former Dragon Mitch Rein over the opening three rounds.

McInnes proved himself an 80-minute ironman in his first season with the club in 2017 and Frizell believes he’s right in the selection picture.

“Cameron McInnes is a guy I think’s definitely ready to step up to the [Origin] challenge,” Frizell said.

“He had a great year last year and he’s had a really good start to the season this year.

“I’m sure all the boys want to reach that [level] but it all starts here. We’re driving each other to be better each week and hopefully that jersey does come around for a few of the boys.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5313482/mcinnes-good-fit-for-blue-jumper/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_5748.jpg

Improving Dragons 'Will Get Better'
Author
Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen)
Timestamp
Thu 29 Mar 2018, 12:58 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership NSW coach Mat Head believes last week’s win against North Sydney has kick-started their campaign – and their best is yet to come.

The Dragons were staunch in defence and, at times, sublime with ball in hand in their big victory against the Bears in Shellharbour, and their mentor is expecting more of the same in the weeks ahead.

“To come here (to Ron Costello Oval) and only concede four points is very pleasing – we’ll get better with our attack the more the year rolls on. We’ve hardly trained together. We’ll just get better,” Head tells NSWRL.com.au.

“Yeah our defence is pretty good – as I said before the season started, we’ve got a lot of young kids and we want to play footy but if you want to play first grade your defence has to be on-song.

“I think our middles are doing a wonderful job and both edges are solid too – before the game I think we were the fifth-best defensive team, so to be 0-2 and that high up is impressive.”

Head, who flew to Toowoomba following his side’s Round 3 Intrust Super Premiership clash to link with the Dragons' NRL squad, has been impressed with his team at various stages so far this year… but believes their best is in front of them.

“The hardest thing is backing games up, that was the big test today backing up the first half with a good second half,” Head says.

“We were very good for 20 minutes in Round 1 against Mounties and poor for 60, (in Round 2) we were poor for 80 and [against North Sydney] we were really good for 65. A lot of work has gone into our defence, our attack will improve, it was a bit clunky at times but we’re a new side and we’ll get better as the season goes on.”

Halfback Darren Nicholls has earned significant praise from Head, but his halves partner Adam Clune has also been impressive.

“Cluney’s a very good player, he’s holding out another great young player in Jack Payne who’s played under me at under 20s and in reserve grade,” he says.

“We’ve got two halves there who will continue to push each other and fight for a position, and Cluney’s first few weeks have been solid, he’s had some good moments and some poor moments, but he’ll only get better.”

Head is realistic in his appraisal of his team’s season so far, but hopeful for a bright year ahead.

“We’d be a B- for sure so far, we’re one from three. We’ve had some very good moments but some poor ones too,” he says.

“We just need to get better and that win might’ve kick-started our season.”

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/03/29/improving-dragons-will-get-better/

getsmarty

Immortal
Ladies a great Dragons addition
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3800_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEW DAY: Dragons stars Gareth Widdop and Sam Bremner. Picture: NRL Photos

DRAGONS players have welcomed the addition of a women’s team after the club’s bid for inclusion in the inaugural NRL Women’s Premiership was successful this week.

St George Illawarra were on of four teams granted a license alongside the Broncos, Warriors and Roosters after six clubs launched bids.

The Jillaroos have drawn heavily on the Illawarra’s rich production lines with the likes of Sam Bremner, Kezie Apps and recent debutant Rikeya Horne earning Test honours.

A Corrimal Cougars junior himself, Tyson Frizell said inclusion in the new competition was a fitting reward for the region.

“I think it’s great for women’s rugby league and great for the club,” Frizell said.

“I know there’s a really tough women’s comp down here [in Wollongong] and I’ve got a lot of family and friends who play in that league.

“To have a Dragons team in the comp is really nice and I’m sure the girls are pretty excited to hopefully run out there for the Dragons.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5313843/ladies-a-great-dragons-addition/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
ragons 2018: McKinnon Cup brings a special perspective for de Belin
Dragons Den News
SPECIAL OCCASION: The Dragons and Knights will fight it out for the Alex McKinnon Cup at WIN Stadium on Sunday. Picture: Jonathan Carroll
IN the rough and tumble world of rugby league, it’s very easy to lose all perspective. Sometimes, however, the game hits you square between the eyes with a massive dose of it.

It’s something Dragons forward Jack de Belin is reminded of as he prepares to fight it out with Newcastle for the Alex McKinnon Cup at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

It will be the fourth time the two clubs have contested the cup since McKinnon’s career was tragically cut short by a horrific spinal injury in March 2014.

De Belin first lined up alongside McKinnon more than a decade ago at their alma mater St Gregory’s Campbelltown and said his former classmate was always destined for big things.

“It’s pretty crazy to think I’ve known Macca for over 10 years now,” de Belin said.

“I went to boarding school with Alex first and foremost and came down to the Dragons after school.

“He was already here and I played two years of under 20s with him. He went onto Newcastle and I stayed here and we had some fun little rivalries through that before his tragedy struck.

“It was heartbreaking to see because he had so much talent and he was due for really big things from a really young age.

“You could just see, when I first got to school, everyone had such big raps on him the way he held himself. You just knew he was going to make it.”

Sadly, that career was cut short but – from what started as a tragic chapter in rugby league’s recent past – McKinnon continues to write one of its more inspirational stories.

Now working as a motivational speaker and as an analyst for Fox Sports, de Belin says he continues to draw inspiration from his longtime mate.

“I was only speaking to him the other day and he’s doing really well and he’s really well suited to what he’s doing,” de Belin said.

“He’s doing keynote and public speaking and that kind of work now. It was heartbreaking what happened to him but he’s really moved on with his life.

“I couldn’t be prouder of him. It makes you realise that footy doesn’t last forever but, just in life in general, you need to be grateful and be in the moment.”

Having fought some tough battles against McKinnon as a junior, the significance of the occasion also isn’t lost on Tyson Frizell.

“Playing against Alex, he was such a fierce competitor,” Frizell said.

“I always loved to come up against him and Jack de Belin when I was playing 20s at the Sharks.

“They were two guys I always wanted to play against because they were the two best players coming through.

“It’d be really nice to hold up the trophy for him.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5313593/mckinnon-cup-brings-a-special-perspective/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
ragons 2018: McKinnon Cup brings a special perspective for de Belin
Dragons Den News
SPECIAL OCCASION: The Dragons and Knights will fight it out for the Alex McKinnon Cup at WIN Stadium on Sunday. Picture: Jonathan Carroll
IN the rough and tumble world of rugby league, it’s very easy to lose all perspective. Sometimes, however, the game hits you square between the eyes with a massive dose of it.

It’s something Dragons forward Jack de Belin is reminded of as he prepares to fight it out with Newcastle for the Alex McKinnon Cup at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

It will be the fourth time the two clubs have contested the cup since McKinnon’s career was tragically cut short by a horrific spinal injury in March 2014.

De Belin first lined up alongside McKinnon more than a decade ago at their alma mater St Gregory’s Campbelltown and said his former classmate was always destined for big things.

“It’s pretty crazy to think I’ve known Macca for over 10 years now,” de Belin said.

“I went to boarding school with Alex first and foremost and came down to the Dragons after school.

“He was already here and I played two years of under 20s with him. He went onto Newcastle and I stayed here and we had some fun little rivalries through that before his tragedy struck.

“It was heartbreaking to see because he had so much talent and he was due for really big things from a really young age.

“You could just see, when I first got to school, everyone had such big raps on him the way he held himself. You just knew he was going to make it.”

Sadly, that career was cut short but – from what started as a tragic chapter in rugby league’s recent past – McKinnon continues to write one of its more inspirational stories.

Now working as a motivational speaker and as an analyst for Fox Sports, de Belin says he continues to draw inspiration from his longtime mate.

“I was only speaking to him the other day and he’s doing really well and he’s really well suited to what he’s doing,” de Belin said.

“He’s doing keynote and public speaking and that kind of work now. It was heartbreaking what happened to him but he’s really moved on with his life.

“I couldn’t be prouder of him. It makes you realise that footy doesn’t last forever but, just in life in general, you need to be grateful and be in the moment.”

Having fought some tough battles against McKinnon as a junior, the significance of the occasion also isn’t lost on Tyson Frizell.

“Playing against Alex, he was such a fierce competitor,” Frizell said.

“I always loved to come up against him and Jack de Belin when I was playing 20s at the Sharks.

“They were two guys I always wanted to play against because they were the two best players coming through.

“It’d be really nice to hold up the trophy for him.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5313593/mckinnon-cup-brings-a-special-perspective/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor playing the long game despite hot start
Local Sport
r0_0_4134_2717_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOT SEAT: Dragons coach Paul McGregor feels right at home at the helm as he heads into his fourth season in charge. Picture: John Veage
Anyone who’s been involved in the greatest game of all will tell you, there’s no more demanding mistress than rugby league.

It’s something Dragons coach Paul McGregor is admittedly still learning as he enters his fourth season as an NRL head coach.

It’s no mean feat given he’s spent 93 games perched in arguably the hottest coaching seat in the NRL. Only former teammate Nathan Brown, who McGregor will face-off against this week, has sat in that chair on more occasions for the club.

By the end of his current deal, McGregor will be the joint-ventures longest-serving coach. For a man who never envisioned being an NRL coach at all, it’s a fair ride.

“Certainly I’ve got a huge passion for the club,” he said.

“I was a St George supporter before I played for Illawarra. I was fortunate enough to captain my Illawarra team in the Steelers and then the joint-venture in 1999.

“I’ve got a huge competitive nature around trying to do the best I possibly can for this club. Certainly over the few years I’ve been involved it’s been about nothing more than leaving the club in a better place than I found it in.

“That’s something I want to do when my time’s up here. It has been a little bit of marathon over the last few years but I feel the club’s now in a very good position.

“I want to make sure I continue that. I know head coaching jobs are about winning and losing but, when it is time for me to move on, I want to ensure the club’s in a really good position to go forward.”

You would certainly have to say things are rosier than when he reluctantly stepped into the top job after the sacking of former coach Steve Price.

As he told the waiting media pack that day: “I always wanted to be involved in rugby league, never as a head coach.” If only he knew then, what he knows now.

It wasn’t all that different to the way his storied playing career with the Steelers began in 1991. It took Steelers GM Bob Millward several seasons to talk the precociously talented young centre into leaving the Dapto Canaries and donning the BHP Steel at age 23.

He made his NSW Origin debut just a season later. Another two seasons and he was an International.

Stories about that time, specifically an attitude to training, are often exaggerated, but McGregor – who as a coach rises before dawn each day – admits his work ethic has changed.

“It is a bit different, yeah,” he chuckles

r0_0_2384_3432_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FORGED IN STEEL: Paul McGregor debuted for the Steelers at 23. He made his Origin debut just a year en route to his first Test jumper. Picture: Palani Mohan

“It was a different era. In the early 90s it wasn’t fulltime so you were coming into training after or before work. It became fulltime mid 90s and I was then a current Australian player so obviously my work ethic had changed.

“If it’s one thing it’s taught me, I really understand how important preseasons are. I had 14 operations throughout my career so I didn’t really get those consistent preseasons to be at my best.

“As a coach I certainly understand that now. The physical shape your in really affects the mental state you’re in as well.”

It probably explains why, at 50, he still spends hours slogging it out in the team gym, or why he spent the 2017 preseason sweating it out on the training paddock with his players.

Anything to keep a clear mind through what’s been a roller coaster ride at the helm. No two seasons have been the same, since his unexpected elevation to the to top job.

It’s been a harsh school at times, but it leaves McGregor confident with where the club is at as his fourth campaign commences.

“Each year, each week, the NRL teaches you different things,” McGregor said.

“You obviously get more comfortable the more experience you get, the same as it is for a player. You know within yourself what works and what doesn’t.

“If you look at successful sides, and it’s where we’re trying to get to as a team and as a club, it’s about doing ordinary things with extraordinary consistency, commitment and focus.

“It’s about having the right characters and right people in your organisation, it’s about having a good balanced squad with everyone respecting each other’s role.

“I feel whenever we’ve been at our best that’s the culture we’ve had.”

A recruitment drive that’s netted the likes of Ben Hunt and James Graham means he’s never been better positioned for success. A flying start to the season has helped, but the joy is tempered by it’s similarities to 2017.

It ended in a stunning finals fade out, the Bulldogs hammering the final nail in their coffin in round 26.

Each year, each week, you spend in the NRL teaches you different things but you obviously get more comfortable the more experience you get.

Paul McGregor
It was perhaps the harshest lesson of them all, but one McGregor has driven home to his squad.

“We’ve spoken about throughout the whole 2017-18 preseason about consistency and living up to our values and beliefs,” he said.

“The journey of 26 weeks of an NRL competition is very demanding. We’re in good physical condition, we’ve got a good tactical understanding of what we need to do, but we need to stay on top of our game mentally.

“We’ve started well which is great.We need to maintain those standards regardless of the opposition. Last year we lost five games to teams that finished below us in the competition.

“It’s about being consistent and making sure that gap between our best and our worst is very minimal. Last year it was really large.

The early signs have been encouraging, with three wins from three starts heading into Sunday’s clash with Newcastle in Wollongong.

It’s enough to sit comfortably at the top of the table, but McGregor said it’s the varying manner of the victories that has been most pleasing.

It has been a little bit of marathon over the last few years but I feel the club’s now in a very good position and I want to continue that.

Paul McGregor
“There’s been three very different circumstances in the three wins we’ve had,” he said.

“I think we got the Broncos at the right time in round one and we dominated through the middle with our power.

“We scrapped really well against Cronulla [in round two], we really fought hard to grind the win out.

“It was a pretty untidy game but we were clinical in the way we never got concerned about being behind by 14. We’ve lost those games in the past.

“Against the Titans one the weekend it was 8-all they seemed to have the energy on us, but once we got to the right parts of the field we were very clinical in our execution and we managed to score 50 points.

“It’s certainly better looking at points than looking for them, but it’s about maintaining that momentum heading into this week.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5312633/mcgregor-playing-the-long-game/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
lomax.jpg

COMMUNITY

Dragons Active April Holiday Clinics
Author
Timestamp
Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:06 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons rugby league holiday clinics are on again this April with clinics at WIN Stadium (2), Wollongong and Todd Park, Blakehurst.

dragons-active-april-2018.png

Registrations are now open at http://www.playnrl.com/programs/. Simply type the postcode 2500 to find the Wollongong clinic or 2217 for the Blakehurst clinic.

The clinics will cost $40.

As part of the day each child will be given the opportunity to rub shoulders with NRL Dragons players at both Kogarah and Wollongong clinics as well as going home with a Dragons football and t-shirt.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/03/31/dragons-active-april-holiday-clinics/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty and Ponga's winding NRL paths cross

The battle between Matt Dufty and Kalyn Ponga highlights Sunday's NRL clash between St George Illawarra and Newcastle.

Updated Updated 6 hours ago

Matt Dufty says he's glad he took 'the long road' to the NRL with St George Illawarra, if that's what you call it at age 22.

And his experience is no doubt similar to that of Newcastle's Kalyn Ponga, despite the fact he only celebrated his 20th birthday on Good Friday.

The two 2018 breakthrough stars will contest a mouth-watering fullback battle on Sunday when the Dragons face the Knights.

It seems strange to consider that either player took their time graduating to the top grade given their ages but anyone who watched the now-defunct National Youth Cup competition closely will know they did.

Ponga was a stand-out when he debuted for North Queensland at 18 in the 2016 finals series.

But after he signed for Newcastle that summer, he played just seven NRL games for the Cowboys in 2017 and had to settle for a second straight under-20s-team-of-the-year selection.

Meanwhile Dufty scored a record 55 tries in 65 games for the Dragons in the under-20s between 2014 and 2016 - not bad when you consider more than 3000 players ran out in the competition's 10-year history.

But after that, he still spent the majority of 2017 in Ben Hornby's reserve grade side before finally getting the No.1 NRL jersey last last year.

"It was a bit frustrating at the time," Dufty admitted.

"And if you're too worried about playing in the NRL and worrying about what level you're playing at you're not going to play as well.

"Ben spoke to me about it and told me my time would come and just to play good footy.

"That helped me a lot because he was a player who spent two or three years in reserve grade before playing the most NRL games at the club."

It's a message Dufty took into this year's pre-season, where he certified his round-one spot with a sparkling showing against Hull FC in the Dragons' first trial.

It's shown in the start to his season too, after he scored a hat-trick against the Gold Coast last week and now has the second most tackle busts (21) in the NRL.

"It was more of a mental thing as well," he said.

"It gives you more mental stability if you're just worrying about yourself rather than worrying about wanting to play first grade."

Meanwhile Dragons coach Paul McGregor says Ponga is the player to stop alongside Mitchell Pearce in Wollongong, given the fullback leads Newcastle for for linebreaks (3), linebreak assists (4) and tackle busts (17).

STATS THAT MATTER:

* Gareth Widdop needs 13 points to reach 700 for the Dragons.

* The Dragons have won nine of the past 11 clashes between the teams.

* Nathan Ross has scored six tries in five matches against the Dragons.

*Stats courtesy Fox Sports Stats

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dufty-and-ponga-s-winding-nrl-paths-cross