What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARU says no to Walker's return

Broncodroid

Juniors
ARU says no to Walker's return

By James MacSmith
Monday, January 24, 2005

Source: www.smh.com.au (rugby heaven)

The Australian Rugby Union yesterday ruled out the return to the sport of former Wallabies back Andrew Walker.

The dual international has been talking to Gordon about the possibility of playing for the grade club despite being under a two-year drug ban. Walker tested positive to cocaine in 2003 while playing in the National Rugby League competition with Manly.

An ARU spokesman said rugby recognised bans from other sports and that it was bound by an international code which Walker had breached.

"Andrew Walker playing rugby union again? It's not going to happen," the spokesman said.

One of football's most controversial figures, Walker made a name for himself as a teenager at Randwick before swapping codes and playing league for the Roosters and the Dragons.

He returned to rugby union with the ACT Brumbies in 1999 and made his debut for the Wallabies in 2000, but he was dogged by disciplinary and alcohol problems before returning to rugby league in 2003.

Broncodroid

Juniors
No sympathy from me. He made his bed, he has to lie in it as they say. Walker has had multimple chances given to him by both codes, he chose to stuff up each chance...back to the real world now Andrew.

gregstar

Referee
Walker has had multimple chances given to him by both codes, he chose to stuff up each chance
agree but not as many as others
julian o'neill
fingers hoppoate
darrell trindall

walker is an idiot but he didn't bring as much discredit to league as these rectum heads

Glen

Bench
It's good they ruled it out straight away.

A two year ban for cocaine is ridiculous though. Could someone refresh my memory as to what sentence Craig Field and McGuiness got?

bulldog

Bench
6 mths each.

What I find funny is his assertion that it was a certain group of his "friends" that led him astray (haven't heard that one before), I happen to know a couple of them who assure me Andrew certainly didn't need any help travelling down this road.

thommo4pm

Coach
simple saying:

you do the crime you do the time.

he is supposed to be a role model to kids, do we want our young kids taking cocaine?

eagles4eva

First Grade
as much as i dont support walker for what he did, the interesting things is that the AFL just banned a player for 2 months for taking speed as it was not a on thier list of sports enhanching drugs.

Maybe walker can play AFL :roll: :roll: :roll:

Andrew Walker does not deserve any more chances.

He was a good player in both codes but needs to realise that professionalism extends both to his career and personal life and he obviously had problems with maintaining this level.

;-)

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I think many RU fans would be disappointed at this stance by the ARU.

After all they were never consulted about this, and many of those involved with RU would of looked at Walker as a source of cheap cocaine.

The ARU I think will suffer from this.

The Toecutter

Juniors
Glen said:
It's good they ruled it out straight away.

A two year ban for cocaine is ridiculous though. Could someone refresh my memory as to what sentence Craig Field and McGuiness got?
I think he got a two year ban because he quit the game and didn't even go before a tribunal so he got the maxium.

Tighthead

After all they were never consulted about this, and many of those involved with RU would of looked at Walker as a source of cheap cocaine.

Please, RU fans don't need cheap cocaine.

We can afford the finest columbian blue, which we sniff off the buttocks of our nazi wenches while chortling evilly about our plans for world domination.

fillapop

Juniors
no sympathy from me either...he got given a chance then screwed up again....i say ban him from sport for life...not even allowed 2 own a football :evil: :twisted:

[furrycat]

Coach
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Yep, he'd go ok at AFL.

Their new "4 strikes and you're out" policy could have been written with him in mind.

What a stupid post, EA... :roll:

It's clearly

"Somewhere near 4 strikes and if we remember you might be out"

Bulldog-Power

Juniors
thommo4pm said:
he is supposed to be a role model to kids, do we want our young kids taking cocaine?

good question

hopefully if my kids ever do take cocaine at least they will have gained some level of success or I have, so they can afford to blow their/my money on coke

hopefully my kids being smart like me will realise how shit it is and wont do it again
and just stick to good old achohol