What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi leads mutiny against Kemble

Jesbass

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
I don't have a short memory at all, i know exactly how things were done, and regardless, i still find him a wanker

Fair enough. I thought we were talking about the word 'turncoat', though, not 'wanker'. He didn't betray us. He just used us. There's a subtle but distinct difference, in my opinion.

Beavers Headgear said:
Also on another point, how could NZ be considered minnows in 1999/2000 when we had trounced GB on numerous occasions and taken wins against Australia in 97 98 and 99

I wouldn't have a clue. We also only lost to the Kangaroos by 2 points in the Tri-Nations final in 1999, if memory serves me well.

Best to ask the RLIF how they defined minnows back then. I'm pretty certain they considered any team that wasn't Australia to be a minnow! :crazy:

ozbash

Referee
I wouldn't have a clue. Best to ask the RLIF how they defined minnows back then. I'm pretty certain they considered any team that wasn't Australia to be a minnow

still the case isnt it ?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Jesbass said:
Fair enough. I thought we were talking about the word 'turncoat', though, not 'wanker'. He didn't betray us. He just used us. There's a subtle but distinct difference, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have a clue. We also only lost to the Kangaroos by 2 points in the Tri-Nations final in 1999, if memory serves me well.

Best to ask the RLIF how they defined minnows back then. I'm pretty certain they considered any team that wasn't Australia to be a minnow! :crazy:

From what i understood, he thought he wouldn't return to action in Australia, so commited to NZ. Then another opportunity at the Broncos came up and he shafted us. I will always find him a turncoat, and that will never change coz of my deep rooted hatred for the bloke :lol:

Was a good start to the year hearing that this year will be his last

dazza

Staff member
Jesbass said:
Because, after failing to make the Kangaroo squad, the RLIF made special dispensation that fringe Kangaroo aspirants could play for minnows who they were also eligible for. (New Zealand was still considered a minnow back then.) So Carroll played for New Zealand, .

i think you`ll find you are wrong there jess. he wasn`t a "fringe " kangaroos player, he was selected quite regularly.

tonie carroll had signed to play for leeds, therefore giving up his chance to play for australia. the ARL have always said they would not pick a player who was playing in the uk superleague. ( they made an exception when they selected darren smith, i think it was, a couple of seasons ago).

carroll knew he would not play for aussie while playing in the uk, so made himself available for the kiwis. when he returned to the broncos, after his contract was up at leeds, he turned his back on the kiwis & represented aussie again. a classic turncoat, imho.

i believe this was the reason rubes give him one in the test at nth harbour, & a good one it was too.

cheers dazza

Micistm

Bench
Jesbass said:
I only caught the back end of that interview, but I didn't think railroading Ray was a good look for the game. Plus, Stanaway saying something like "Bennett is last week's news" wasn't a good look, either.

You're not wrong...I'm basically speaking totally from the point of view of a fan who's just had a gutsful of the hacks that run the game in NZ. Yes, Stanaways a Dick, and also a hack in his crap gutter journalistic way. But I'm seriously at the wits end like others have mentioned- Maybe it's time to just cheer on your NRL team, and only bother with the Kiwis as a vague interest when it pops up. Having a passion for it just ends up heartbreaking- and as it is obvious they're not going to change in a hurry you get to the point why should I care either? Possibly sour grapes, but just the way I'm starting to feel now. Watching it tonight and the 'big breakthrough' the meeting today achieved...woopie do:lol:

Jesbass

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
From what i understood, he thought he wouldn't return to action in Australia, so commited to NZ. Then another opportunity at the Broncos came up and he shafted us. I will always find him a turncoat, and that will never change coz of my deep rooted hatred for the bloke :lol:

Lol, fair enough. :lol:

Jesbass

First Grade
dazza said:
i think you`ll find you are wrong there jess. he wasn`t a "fringe " kangaroos player, he was selected quite regularly.

He debuted for the Kangaroos in 2004. Outside of the RLIF's special dispensation for the world cup, he was ineligible for New Zealand due to having represented Queensland every year since 1997.

dazza said:
tonie carroll had signed to play for leeds, therefore giving up his chance to play for australia. the ARL have always said they would not pick a player who was playing in the uk superleague. ( they made an exception when they selected darren smith, i think it was, a couple of seasons ago).

carroll knew he would not play for aussie while playing in the uk, so made himself available for the kiwis. when he returned to the broncos, after his contract was up at leeds, he turned his back on the kiwis & represented aussie again. a classic turncoat, imho.

i believe this was the reason rubes give him one in the test at nth harbour, & a good one it was too.

cheers dazza

Cheers for the clarification there, though. I appreciate being corrected. :D

I'm surprised the NZRL accepts/chases these sorts of players who take the jersey so lightly in the first place. (Carroll, Hunt, Moi Moi, Tuiaki, etc etc.) It makes us look even more desperate than we already are.

ozbash

Referee
Gary Kemble's position as Kiwis coach effectively remains in limbo after yesterday's New Zealand Rugby League board meeting answered none of the questions raised by Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell's damning criticism.

Kemble flew back to Auckland last night from his Sydney crisis talks with key Kiwis players but neither he nor NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz were talking.

The NZRL board yesterday said that Kemble's position remained unchanged, but it is expected the board will in coming days scrap the controversial Kiwis coaching residency clause and offer Brisbane Broncos guru Wayne Bennett a job.

For now it appears chairman Ray Haffenden was happy for discussions to advance at snail's pace.

In what capacity Bennett would come in has yet to be decided.

"We're not in a position to put a deal together for Wayne, not at this point," said Haffenden after the 712 hour meeting.

"Nothing's changed from where we were before the meeting. We haven't changed anything, we haven't done any more work.

"I just informed the board that I'd been talking to him and that he is available to us should we need him."

Several Kiwis have spoken up in the wake of Asotasi and Kidwell's scathing vote of no confidence of Kemble, with South Sydney teammate David Fa'alogo, who was not on the ill-fated European tour, saying: "There's obviously some senior players who disagree with the decision about the coach. He's obviously not wanted and that's pretty much the end of story."

Brisbane utility Greg Eastwood, who has played under both Bennett and Kemble, said: "He [Bennett] brought a lot to the All Golds game and a lot of the Kiwis respect him and they want him to be a part of the Kiwis team for the World Cup and hopefully it can happen but we'll have to wait and see."

Warriors forward Epalahame Lauaki was reluctant to comment: "Whatever the New Zealand Rugby League's got to do, they've got to do."

Haffenden said a decision on the roles of Bennett and Kemble, who is contracted through to this year's World Cup, had been put on hold till next week.

Kemble would report his Sydney findings to Cordtz, who in turn would report to Haffenden.

"We will meet with Gary early next week to find out what information he has been able to gather after this week's events."

Haffenden said the board did not discuss whether any action would be taken against Asotasi and Kidwell, who said Kemble was out of his depth.

Bennett, who has led Brisbane to a record six National Rugby League premierships, has expressed his desire to help the Kiwis, who Asotasi and Kidwell rated "no chance" of winning the World Cup under Kemble.

The NZRL is believed to favour installing Bennett as a coaching mentor for Kemble but the apparent lack of progress in formalising an offer is baffling considering all parties appear keen.

Kemble has gone on record saying he would prefer to use Bennett as a sounding board rather than a hands-on coach.

But such a system would not appease Asotasi and Kidwell, who are vital cogs in the Kiwis' chances of challenging at the World Cup.

Also confusing is Kemble's seeking out of Nathan Cayless and Sonny Bill Williams to support him, despite the pair not playing internationals last year.

www.stuff.

Micistm

Bench
Just listening to R.Sport...Mad Butcher on. I feel in good company, he sounds like even he's almost had enough of this crap management. There has to be progress, and fast, or this year will be worse than last year IMO. Much much worse

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
As much as we may hate them and call them wankers deep down we all know TC and Karmichael are the business and would have them in our kiwis team. Honestly who would you rather have a SL Brent Webb/Sam Perett or Karmichael? Simon Mannering/Greg Eastwood or TC? I would love it for Wayne Benett to come in and influence players to play for him they way he did when he coached the Kangaroos and QLD.

Martli

Coach
doogiehowser_md said:
As much as we may hate them and call them wankers deep down we all know TC and Karmichael are the business and would have them in our kiwis team. Honestly who would you rather have a SL Brent Webb/Sam Perett or Karmichael? Simon Mannering/Greg Eastwood or TC? I would love it for Wayne Benett to come in and influence players to play for him they way he did when he coached the Kangaroos and QLD.

Karmicheal would be good, but I think we could cope without TC...

Jesbass

First Grade
doogiehowser_md said:

Only if their hearts were in it. There's no substitute for passion, in my opinion.

Micistm

Bench
Even winning won't remove the sour taste I've had over the past while with the NZRL. I want change in the NZRL, nothing else will please me now. Until then, **** them and all focus on the Warriors! ;-)

Latest posts