What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atherton Roosters -Cairns

pcb

Juniors
Pretty poor response from a supposed moderator to an enquiry about a fine country
league club.

PCB

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Here's a start :

athrooster.jpg

As a foundation club and one of great tradition, the Atherton Roosters boast a long and illustrious sporting history. The Roosters entered the inaugural Eacham Rugby League competition in 1918, competing against teams from all Tableland towns.

The first Roosters premiership was won in 1922 and this team went on to defeat Cairns Rugby League premiers Gordonvale later that year. It took 49 years for the Roosters to win their next senior premiership in 1971 after being the runners-up eight times. Three years later, the Roosters won back to back premiership titles in 1974 and 1975.

At the end of 1979 the Eacham league was disbanded after 61 years of competition. The Roosters joined the Cairns District Rugby League competition in 1980 and have played in six first grade grand finals during those 26 years.

HISTORY

The history of the Atherton Roosters is filled with remarkable achievements and legendary personalities. International winger Warren Orr is considered among the Roosters best exports having represented Australia in 1973 and 1974.

Dallas Johnson is another to reach the National Rugby League spotlight after leading the Roosters 1999 under 18 premiership side. Johnson now plays the top level with NRL club Melbourne Storm and led the tackle count for Queensland in the 2006 State of Origin series win.

CORPORATE IDENTITY

The Roosters boast a successful corporate base and are supported by many of the regions major corporations including Australian icon Bundy Rum. Over the past five years the Atherton Rooster's corporate support has increased substantially, and the club has made it a priority to take the companies on board successfully into the new millennium.

SPIRIT

The Atherton Roosters have endured its fair share of ups and downs but there has always been a true fighting spirit throughout the club. The club has retained its place in the local sporting history to become a Tableland institution that everyone can be proud of.

After kicking off in 1918, the Roosters have come out fighting from day one. Since their first win the Roosters have claimed many great achievements and produced many champions into the representative arena including State and International level.​

nqcowboy87

Bench
Is it true they have offered Todd Carney $100K to play a season with them
they where sponsored by bundy rum and i remember somebody teling me theyre match bonuses are quite impressive.

theyve got a great ground, sh*t away dressing rooms, all except for one time its been freezing cold there and the dressing room is a besablock cement floor corrugated iron roof job, when i first played there it rained and the chnagerooms were so cold it felt like a fridge in there. but nonetheless a good club. i understand since the re-introduction of the c-grade competion they have linked with the hopevale roosters and use them as the cgrade team

tezzah1

Juniors
Anyone got an update from last weekends game against the Pride Academy? Kiwi imports, local last year players, captain coach please?

nqcowboy87

Bench
just a word of warning if oure thinking of coming over from nz to play there was a big hoora at mareeba gladiators another club in the cdrl and athertons nearest rival. they took a whole bunch of nz players and all the local guys got real upset that a bunch of people that were brought in took theyre spots and theyr was apparently a big fight outside a pub. sorry top scare you but i just thought i oughtta mention it, anyways i gotta get back to work

The Partisan

I lived in Atherton in the mid-80'S and managed a couple of games with the Roosters.

Back than they were certainly a great small town club and I would be surprised if much has changed.

Bus trips down the steep and windy Gillies Highway was always an adventure !

tezzah1

Juniors
Head the game against Mareeba was good. Any one go and watch? 28-18 to Mareeba I think? Any one got any info on the game?

Might take a run up the Gilles Range to buy some p#ss and maybe wear some.:sarcasm:
Really I hope he gets his act together and may slip down to see him play at some stage.