What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Rugby League

Skinner

Coach
This should be interesting, a new broom and all...... Personally, I think it's long overdue.

ARL MEDIA ANNOUNCEMENT
25 November, 2013

Auckland Rugby League Elects New Chairman

Auckland Rugby League’s (ARL) Board of Directors is pleased to announce that Dene Biddlecombe has been named the organisation’s new Chairman, effective from Saturday 23 November. The appointment is the result of voting by Rugby League Clubs around Auckland. Biddlecombe replaces Cameron McGregor who has held the post for the past twelve years.

Speaking about his new role, Biddlecombe said he is looking forward to working alongside ARL to create strong relationships with Auckland clubs and expressed a commitment to promoting greater transparency and accountability to local clubs. Biddlecombe says, “…working with New Zealand Rugby League and the New Zealand Warriors to develop and promote the game both locally and within New Zealand, is a priority.”

On behalf of the ARL, and it’s member Clubs, Dene thanked Cameron McGregor for his dedication and his commitment to growing Rugby League in Auckland over the last 12 years.

Dene Biddlecombe is a professional director who has held executive positions for the past 15 years. He has been CEO of electricity retailer Pulse Utilities, CEO of Horizon Energy and CFO at NIWA. Biddlecombe is a charted accountant and has an MBA from Otago University.

For more information:
Dene Biddlecombe:
PH: 027 230 0166
Email: dene.b@aucklandleague.co.nz

Lossy

Juniors
... Personally, I think it's long overdue.

Bloke or not, I expect Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead to get a reasonable boost on iTunes.

Chances of him doing a Fitzgerald and keeping his fingers in the ARL's pies from beyond, a la Parramatta, Skinz?

Last edited:

Skinner

Coach
Bloke or not, I expect Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead to get a reasonable boost on iTunes.

Chances of him doing a Fitzgerald and keeping his fingers in the ARL's pies from beyond, a la Parramatta, Skinz?

Yeah, it's always hard to let go mate. Just like to think that he would be professional enough to keep his fingers out.......

ramraider275

Juniors
McGregor lost the election 14 - 10; 2 no nuts clubs sat on the fence and didn't vote; a lot small clubs and a few big ones he ignored for many years voted him out. His votes were clubs aligned to staff within ARL who got favors behind the scenes for years.

To many secret deals came out during the election of what he had been up to - all centered around the carlaw heritage trust, player agent sports management company, Vulcans annual budget, secondary schools comp.

He's just the start of a few people up there being moved out.

MKEB...

Staff member
I have always been given the impression that McGregor wasn't well respected outside the bigger clubs and his own agenda in Auckland. Is this the case. Or was it just his time to go...

Would be interested to hear MMM and Ozbashs opinions on this.

ramraider275

Juniors
I have always been given the impression that McGregor wasn't well respected outside the bigger clubs and his own agenda in Auckland. Is this the case. Or was it just his time to go...

Would be interested to hear MMM and Ozbashs opinions on this.

Your right the 14 who voted him out as I heard it was, Waitamata, Te atatu, New Lynn, Otara, Mangere East, Howick, Papakura, Pukekohe, Mt Albert, Glenfield, Papatoetoe, Mt Wellington, Ellerslie, Ponsonby.

Manukau had a change of heart because of the ARL loan they got to do up there clubrooms in 2012 and sat on the fence - no nuts.

Most of those 14 clubs are the smallest in Auckland but all have a equal say in voting. Clubs were to scared to complain in the past to speak out but Biddlecome (Te atatu) put his name in the hat this year and a lot of McGregor's business dealings came to light - I was there the day Mt Albert people approached us (Mangere East) during the Fox finals and asked us for support ,lucky for them the chairperson an a few committee members were standing in the group I was in.

the 10 clubs who voted for him were mainly ones that had there people inside ARL for many years and funny enough the same ones who got financial assistance for there clubs and favours given to them - all power games.

2 months ago Mcgregor finally realized he might lose the election and went around every club in Auckland to ask them for there vote an offering them to address any grievances they had. I will give McGregor this , he was man enough to front the Mangere East committee after being shit on by ARL for years - as both life members who were there said to me they appreciated his time to come an speak with them but it felt like a slap in the face because he needed our vote. We asked for a ARL loan twice during his term - turned down twice, the last time he said no , they gave Brent todd an unsecured loan to save his pubs that year and he went bust an never repaid it. Life members never forgave or forgot that.

The whole time the Vulcans were operating under ARL , McGregor wouldn't let anyone question the financials behind it or reveal the true annual costings, basically clubs were told to sit down an shut up at the conference of the clubs meeting. At the annual review this year the Vulcans was questioned by clubs and within 2 weeks of that review ARL severed ties with the Vulcans concept giving the control back to the Warriors. The amount of $ spent on that team was huge , while small Auckland were in financial strife.

Carlaw Heritage trust has 41 Million in assets and have an annual revenue. The property portfolio is in the millions. The financials behind the trust are never released and the trustees are all friends of his. 12 clubs have a vested interest in the heritage trust because they are the ones who paid the errors on the carlaw park mortgage years ago;

Being the ARL chairperson doesn't make you above us, McGregor could of fostered goodwill by visiting every club in Akld once during the season to speak with the comittee's , shit he had his finger in a few pies, you would of thought he knew this day might come. My negativity stems from the way the majority of South Auckland clubs have been looked down on from McGregor during his term and it's only rumour but behind closed doors a lot of negative shit was said about us. Out of 10 counties clubs who could vote, he only got 3x votes and as I heard it pakuranga changed sides at the last minute and went with Mcgregor, that says a lot what South Akld clubs felt.

I can't wait for the semi pro comp to kick off in 2015.

Have fun reading this....

Skinner

Coach
Your right the 14 who voted him out as I heard it was, Waitamata, Te atatu, New Lynn, Otara, Mangere East, Howick, Papakura, Pukekohe, Mt Albert, Glenfield, Papatoetoe, Mt Wellington, Ellerslie, Ponsonby.

Manukau had a change of heart because of the ARL loan they got to do up there clubrooms in 2012 and sat on the fence - no nuts.

Most of those 14 clubs are the smallest in Auckland but all have a equal say in voting. Clubs were to scared to complain in the past to speak out but Biddlecome (Te atatu) put his name in the hat this year and a lot of McGregor's business dealings came to light - I was there the day Mt Albert people approached us (Mangere East) during the Fox finals and asked us for support ,lucky for them the chairperson an a few committee members were standing in the group I was in.

the 10 clubs who voted for him were mainly ones that had there people inside ARL for many years and funny enough the same ones who got financial assistance for there clubs and favours given to them - all power games.

2 months ago Mcgregor finally realized he might lose the election and went around every club in Auckland to ask them for there vote an offering them to address any grievances they had. I will give McGregor this , he was man enough to front the Mangere East committee after being shit on by ARL for years - as both life members who were there said to me they appreciated his time to come an speak with them but it felt like a slap in the face because he needed our vote. We asked for a ARL loan twice during his term - turned down twice, the last time he said no , they gave Brent todd an unsecured loan to save his pubs that year and he went bust an never repaid it. Life members never forgave or forgot that.

The whole time the Vulcans were operating under ARL , McGregor wouldn't let anyone question the financials behind it or reveal the true annual costings, basically clubs were told to sit down an shut up at the conference of the clubs meeting. At the annual review this year the Vulcans was questioned by clubs and within 2 weeks of that review ARL severed ties with the Vulcans concept giving the control back to the Warriors. The amount of $ spent on that team was huge , while small Auckland were in financial strife.

Carlaw Heritage trust has 41 Million in assets and have an annual revenue. The property portfolio is in the millions. The financials behind the trust are never released and the trustees are all friends of his. 12 clubs have a vested interest in the heritage trust because they are the ones who paid the errors on the carlaw park mortgage years ago;

Being the ARL chairperson doesn't make you above us, McGregor could of fostered goodwill by visiting every club in Akld once during the season to speak with the comittee's , shit he had his finger in a few pies, you would of thought he knew this day might come. My negativity stems from the way the majority of South Auckland clubs have been looked down on from McGregor during his term and it's only rumour but behind closed doors a lot of negative shit was said about us. Out of 10 counties clubs who could vote, he only got 3x votes and as I heard it pakuranga changed sides at the last minute and went with Mcgregor, that says a lot what South Akld clubs felt.

Good stuff. Expressed well mate. You'll get no argument from me.

Lossy

Juniors
... the 14 who voted him out as I heard it was, Waitamata, Te atatu, New Lynn, Otara, Mangere East, Howick, Papakura, Pukekohe, Mt Albert, Glenfield, Papatoetoe, Mt Wellington, Ellerslie, Ponsonby.

Thanks RR.

Good boys. Disappointed in the Marlins.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Being the ARL chairperson doesn't make you above us, McGregor could of fostered goodwill by visiting every club in Akld once during the season to speak with the comittee's , shit he had his finger in a few pies, you would of thought he knew this day might come. My negativity stems from the way the majority of South Auckland clubs have been looked down on from McGregor during his term and it's only rumour but behind closed doors a lot of negative shit was said about us. Out of 10 councties clubs who could vote, he only got 3x votes and as I heard it pakuranga changed sides at the last minute and went with Mcgregor, that says a lot what South Akld clubs felt.

Finally the clubs start to weild some of the power they have held.
Its about time - hopefully they have some further cleanout.

However the danger is now the clubs get carried away with getting access to the money.

I have heard they had often glossed over the Vulcans financials however most clubs never probably didnt have the financial literacy or the balls to ask for more information.

Warriors by the looks of things have been wanting to take over for a while - I am suprised ARL didnt facilitate the handover sooner.

Just like the Carlaw Park millions - the clubs should of forced somebody independent to give them a laymans term of the situation.

Hopefully Auckland Rugby League gets a new CEO or consultant to really pave a future for the game in Auckland.

For mine talk of a semi-professional competition is scary - its a quick way to waste the money. The competition is in essence already semi-professional for most Fox clubs bar Mangere, Richmond and Marist.

Not a economist - but a semi-professional competition should be supported by market force (i.e sponsors etc) not by savings from Carlaw Park.

You basically giving money for blokes that are already getting paid a little or playing for Free.

Spend a whole lot of money and not get much improvement

ramraider275

Juniors
Finally the clubs start to weild some of the power they have held.
Its about time - hopefully they have some further cleanout.

However the danger is now the clubs get carried away with getting access to the money.

I have heard they had often glossed over the Vulcans financials however most clubs never probably didnt have the financial literacy or the balls to ask for more information.

Warriors by the looks of things have been wanting to take over for a while - I am suprised ARL didnt facilitate the handover sooner.

Just like the Carlaw Park millions - the clubs should of forced somebody independent to give them a laymans term of the situation.

Hopefully Auckland Rugby League gets a new CEO or consultant to really pave a future for the game in Auckland.

For mine talk of a semi-professional competition is scary - its a quick way to waste the money. The competition is in essence already semi-professional for most Fox clubs bar Mangere, Richmond and Marist.

Not a economist - but a semi-professional competition should be supported by market force (i.e sponsors etc) not by savings from Carlaw Park.

You basically giving money for blokes that are already getting paid a little or playing for Free.

Spend a whole lot of money and not get much improvement

Well Mangere East had it out with Cameron at a special meeting with the clubs a few months back about the annual review which is where he really came unstuck - the clubs who voted him out were upset at the way he fired his answers back at our chairperson (female) who told him to be more transparent about things and we all have a equal say/vote about issues - bingo , light bulbs went on amongst the clubs for change.

Your right about a few things ,having access to that cash would be a danger but it has to be distributed properly for the right concepts and to clubs in need. A major gripe with the clubs though is the way Mcgregor an his B.O.D used ARL $ for the corporate box at the warriors, best tables at charity events and for there own interests. You'll need a forensic accountant to unravel the books according to Biddlecombe. I'm sure $ has been misspent for years.

When you make big decisions about new concepts i.e. secondary schools comp - warriors cup; you should be able to give a financial break down of the 100k ARL spent on it this year - i can verify that figure,seen the Minutes from the meeting which passed it. Don't get me wrong its fantastic to develop the game but tell the clubs where the $ is being spent - schools don't pay annual registration fees.

A few clubs questioned the Vulcans for years but Mcgregor an co would quickly shut people up - they were defensive when clubs asked questions. Funny thing you mention that, but one thing said behind closed doors by Mcgregor was clubs from South auckland won't know how to read a financial statement - every club has members with financial backgrounds , shit most chairperson's know how to read them. Interested to see if there was any side deals for ARL to keep Vulcans under its control with the Warriors for the past few years.

Semi pro comp was voted on in 2012, it was a majority win but there was opposition to it.Wayne Scurrah was there to push the initiative - NZ Warriors are paying part of the costs with the annual community development fee they pay to NRL; warriors asked for it to be put back into the local game in Auckland instead of community initiatives in OZ that has no benefit to NZ game. This bit I may have wrong though but repeating what was told to me; the other part of the cost is coming from the Carlaw heritage trust. 100k a club for the top 8 clubs per year in the fox comp. We are hanging out for the semi pro comp, to try an retain some of our players who don't go to OZ, your right MMM about those clubs 3x clubs who have no coin to pay players , you have to rely on Junior development.

Your right it's a lot of $ and from previous experience playing in the bartercard you can see how these comps fall over after time - but I wouldn't of been so positive if it wasn't for the Warriors involvement this time.