What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS v NZ

dimitri

First Grade
we need more than an ANZAC test and an occasional end of year test to get international league back to where it belongs in australia

bring back the 3 test series that we have had in the past

however play it more like how rugby yawnyawn plays their series'

this will also suit our calendar more

3 test series between aus v nz should be an annual event

*GAME 1 - played on anzac day weekend. keep the anzac test tradition.

*Game 2- played after state of origin. no matter what anyone says it just makes sense to play the test after the origin, so that the origin acts as a trial for the test team.

*Game 3- a week or 2 after the GF

that way it is simple

every year we have a 3 test series, and it hardly impacts on the nrl at all.

BRING IT BACK

carlnz

Bench
What the hell are you on about? They are already playing three tests this year maybe four dependinf on the tri series final.

How many times do we have to say it...NZ and GB will never play a test after state of origin again. And the results prove the point, maybe if at the same time NZ played GB in a 3 test series then yeah i would suggest it...there is no way and team could beat austrailia after soo..simple is that!

What we need is a 3 test matchs in three weeks.....maybe before the SOO...that would be brillent...i wish the kiwis played a week later again after the ANZAC test this year because it could of been so different..

griff

Bench
I agree about the need to return to three test series.

There should be a three test Kangaroo tour, a three test Kiwi tour and a three test Lions tour every four years. They are better matches, create more interest, and have the history and tradition behind them. A regular program of tours and a World Cup adds certainty and allows people to plan ahead, without the international game getting stale which is what will happen with a Tri-Nations every single year.

Have them on consecutive weekends in October/November and it would be evenly matched and wouldn't have the NRL season hanging over it.

I don't think there is a great need to have an annual three test series Aus v NZ. An annual series, Home and Away, one on Anzac Day and one the week after the Grand Final is probably the best bet. Leaves more room for other internationals and stops us getting sick of Australia playing New Zealand all the time.

To make the Anzac test more of an event, the NRL should really look at having at least a split round or maybe even a week off.

Jeffles

Bench
A three Test series is a must. But it has to be played consecutively. Otherwise all the spin in the world would not excite the public into thinking it was a series.

I like the dea of an ANZAC Test match. Perhaps if we were to make Anzac Day the First Test of a 3 match series covering April-May. We used to have three match series in the old days and 3 Origin. I can't see this happening yet though. Hopefully a 16 team comp (which will shorten the year by 2 matches) can facilitate this.

griff

Bench
Jeffles said:
A three Test series is a must. But it has to be played consecutively. Otherwise all the spin in the world would not excite the public into thinking it was a series.

I like the dea of an ANZAC Test match. Perhaps if we were to make Anzac Day the First Test of a 3 match series covering April-May. We used to have three match series in the old days and 3 Origin. I can't see this happening yet though. Hopefully a 16 team comp (which will shorten the year by 2 matches) can facilitate this.

True, we used to have 3 match series between Australia and New Zealand. But it was only every 2nd year, alternating between Australia and New Zealand so that each country hosted a 3 match series only every 4 years.

I agree that any series should, where possible, take place on consecutive weekends. But a three match series during the season just isn't going to happen these days, even with a 22 round season. There will be split rounds for Origin and the Anzac test, giving the season the same 'footprint' as it has now. You couldn't squeeze two more high profile test matches in there. So therefore the only time you could have a 3 match series is after the season.

And we can really have at most 5 tests a year, so if Australia are going to play New Zealand in a three match series in October, there is limited opportunity to play any other nation.

When we played 3 test series against NZ we didn't play them annually. I think these days it is preferable to play NZ every year.

I think we need to persevere with the Anzac test, and NZ don't want to play after Origin. And because there is a real need for both Australian and New Zealand to host at least one competitive test match every year, it works out best to have another test at the end of the year.

Although separated by a few months, these tests would be linked into a Home and Away series and promoted as such, instead of two meaningless one offs. One year Australia would host the Anzac test with NZ hosting the post-season test, and the next year NZ would host the Anzac test with the post-season test in Australia.

This way, Australia play 2 matches against New Zealand every year (8 over the 4 year cycle), instead of the other option of two 3 match series(6 matches over the 4 year cycle). At the same time, there is more opportunity for the really big series in Rugby League - 3 test Kangaroo, Lions and Kiwi tours.

Jeffles

Bench
Agreed that we should play NZ every year. This should be the foundation of the calendar. This series can be supplemented with home series against GB&I, France, PNG, PI. The Kiwis could do the same.

The Poms would have someone to play eveyr year on the cycle. NZ every 2 yrs (H&A) and the Aussies in the other two years. Back this up by hosting Tests against France PNG, PI as well as Home Nations fixtures.

griff

Bench
Jeffles said:
Agreed that we should play NZ every year. This should be the foundation of the calendar. This series can be supplemented with home series against GB&I, France, PNG, PI. The Kiwis could do the same.

The Poms would have someone to play eveyr year on the cycle. NZ every 2 yrs (H&A) and the Aussies in the other two years. Back this up by hosting Tests against France PNG, PI as well as Home Nations fixtures.

I agree completely. Everything fits together so well and so logically with a regular 4 year international calendar that I am surprised the RLIF doesn't go for it.

The basic ground rules should be: 1) a Lions Tour of Australasia, a Kangaroo Tour of Great Britain and Europe, a Kiwi Tour of Great Britain and Europe and a World Cup every 4 years. And 2) Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand would all host at least one test match every year.

This puts a strong structure in place but has the flexibility for other tours/events to still take place and increases the likelihood of matches against the second tier nations like Maori, PNG and France.

Jeffles

Bench
I'm working on a schedule. It will work around a 4 yr cycle culminating in a RLWC.

I'll be in touch,