What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aust v India test series discussion thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pat Cummins is in some decent form too, surprised he didn't get a run in the ODI squad.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pat Cummins is in some decent form too, surprised he didn't get a run in the ODI squad.

True...BUT at the same time I don't want them running him into the ground. Halving a half load this summer is a good idea with the view of him playing in the 1st test in 12 months time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed but no doubt Veggieman will be given a run in the first test.

It just seems to be the way these selectors think. Good to see Haze getting a run though.

TheParraboy

Staff member
If Siddle doesn't make the 1st test side, looks like it will be Hazlewood

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ryan-harris-urges-selectors-to-back-peter-siddle-for-test-20141113-11m6wh.html

Ryan Harris urges selectors to back Peter Siddle for Test

Date November 13, 2014 - 10:27PM

Ryan Harris remembers what he did last summer. He can also remember what Peter Siddle did last summer, which is why he has urged Australian selectors to show faith in the fast-bowling trio that routed England during a one-sided Ashes.

The rumblings of change are on the horizon as the first Test against India approaches. Harris is racing the clock to be firing in time for the December 4 start date at the Gabba, while Siddle is under pressure to perform in the face of a strong challenge from Blues quick Josh Hazlewood.

Harris, 35, has started his comeback from knee surgery, a rehab so gruelling he admitted he toyed with retirement. His next Test will be in the Shield game against NSW starting on Sunday but believes he can return to his best in time for the first ball in Brisbane.

He has also thrown his support behind Siddle, who joined Harris and Mitchell Johnson in a three-pronged demolition of England. A poor two-Test series against Pakistan in the UAE (two wickets at 108) has prompted questions over his selection, while Hazlewood is seen as a long term prospect by key cricket stakeholders.

Harris said incumbents always welcomed pressure from aspirants but hoped the tried and tested quicks would be given first crack at the Indians, who will face a stern examination on a Gabba wicket that has proven to be a dream track for the home side for more than a quarter of a century.

"I'd love to see Sids in there. And that's nothing against Josh. I think it's great – whether it's Josh or whoever else putting pressure on the guys in the team, that's exactly want we want. But I'd like ot see Sids in there.

"He's done so well over a number of years. I don't know his stats, to be honest. He might not have taken many wickets. But he still does a job at one end. If Mitchell is running in blasting guys out, Siddle is at the other end bowling dots. That's what people forget.

"I'd be very surprised if there's many changes. I'd like to see what we had last summer. It worked very well then. There's no reason it can't work this summer."

Off-season knee surgery had Harris back in the gym and back on the comeback trail. He said there were moments when he wondered if it was all worth it but quickly set his sights on taking on India, the ICC World Cup and next year's Ashes tour.

"I must admit, it's been tough getting back. It's been harder this time. It's been the hardest rehab I've had to go through mentally and even physically, questioning whether I can do it. Once I get to this stage, it's when I still really want to do it. That's the main thing," Harris said.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't (think of retiring). It crossed my mind – I'm 35. But the bottom line is I still want to play. I still think I've got something to give. The negative thought was probably knocked out pretty quickly by the positive thoughts.

"I'd love to make England. To have a chance to defend the Ashes, that would be great. It's a long way off."

Harris marks himself harder than anyone but will be an automatic pick for the opening Test if he finds form at the Gabba for Queensland next week. He was less than impressed with his bowling in a Futures League match but feels he is building into his season with every outing.

Still, the clock is ticking, meaning Harris wants to impress against the Blues to ensure he has one hand on a baggy green before the final cut is made. He wants to improve his line, as well as his pace.

"Boof (Lehmann) wants us bowling reasonable pace. If I'm bowling 130kms, 125, they're not going to pick me. I want to be able to make sure I get back to that form I had last year and in previous years," Harris said.

"I think I can do it. I've done it before. I've had five-and-a-half months out. The more I bowl, I feel like I'm improving. The more I bowl, especially in game conditions, I know I'll get better."

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Siddle deserves the first 2 test matches. If he doesn't take many wickets they will drop him.

I think he will step up. But playing India in Australia won't be a fair reflection on where Siddle is at.

I strongly disagree.

He's averaging 46.34 over his last 11 tests (since 4th test v England in England in 2013) and went for 2.75 runs an over

In 2014 he is averaging 59.67 and going for 2.95 runs an over.

This alone shows that he is getting worse. He's taking less wickets and getting hit for runs more easily.

Those are two emphatically massive reasons why he shouldn't be picked at all.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
When will people or selectors see that last years form is last years form ?

His current form against Pakis was shit, no wickets in 2 tests yet they want to "persevere". He should never have been there in the first place. The way our selectors reward mediocrity really pisses me off.

so who cares if we lose ?

not the selectors, obviously

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
the evidence is abundantly clear, he is getting worse in the two areas he shouldn't be, average and economy.

You can carry him if he's not getting wickets but is tying one end down and helping the bowler at the other end get wickets.

Furthermore, he's a first or second change bowler. He needs to be gunning it in one of those two areas, getting wickets, or tying down an end.

He's failing at both and getting worse.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or he needs to turn gay.

Whatever it takes to get some meat into him.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Veggieman can go and eat Fruity Phil.

He had an honest career and he's got a ticker but you can see he's peaked and gone over the hill. Time to pick a younger bowler before their best bowling days pass.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Veggieman can go and eat Fruity Phil.

He had an honest career and he's got a ticker but you can see he's peaked and gone over the hill. Time to pick a younger bowler before their best bowling days pass.
Pretty much this, he seems to have lost a yard and his zip of the wicket. Time for them to start bringing the next wave through.

JJ

Immortal
For a non Aussie (and can't be arsed searching for answers) where are Harris, Pattinson and Cummins at with injury etc...

Surely a first string test attack is Harris, Johnson and Pattinson - with Cummins next in line (if/when Harris is done, and/or Mitchell Johnson reverts to being Mitchell Johnson)?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harris is playing the next 2 shield games and hopes to be ready for the first test.

Pattinson is playing grade cricket in Melbourne as a batsman and hasn't started bowling yet, so he is a way off.

Cummins played in the T/20s against the Saffas and bowled very well, best bowler in the series by far. He's ready but will no doubt be eased into 4 or 5 day games.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
like to see Notch with Pattinson, Cummins and Haze, thats our future

NCN is just a fill in

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So what happens if Puppy and flipperhads are both ruled out of the tests Captain Teeny?

Captain Big Show?