What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austin

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Everybody raves about him but I don't see it.

IMO he was hyped because everyone wanted him to replace Anasta (rightfully) and although he is an upgrade on Anasta (let's face it, who the f**k wouldn't be), he is just not that good. A fill in player at best, and easy to see why Penrith let him go.

His brain explosions actually remind me of Benji's. He is also a very selfish player and will often run the ball when it needs to be put through the hands.

gronkathon

First Grade
He takes some poor options.

I think a lot of his play was dictated by how quickly the Storm outside backs were on our attacking structure all night as well.

He may be a better centre or ball playing lock though defensively he needs work for either of those moves to work

Tigerm

First Grade
At least he has some energy & tries some things, unlike the plodders that were out there. Time to start bagging them, not Austin. FFS he had Siro playing in the halves with him, not sure what else he could do but to adlib & try to get something going.

Pezz70

Juniors
He is 23years old and has energy and potential and can be creative, this is his first good go at nrl, a bit of experience will see him improve his play selections. Potentially very good

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He failed to make good use of Sironen. I don't think he's a bad player, to me he looks the goods. Last night was poor though.

We need to come up with more plays close to the line then the Farah to Woods back to Farah run around. We must have tried that a dozen times and everytime it failed to draw any Storm defenders. Woods has to learn how to disguise that play better. As soon as its about to happen he dawdles up, turns his back and passes to Farah a bit too quickly. He doesn't draw any defenders and hence why when the ball goes wide from there, we never get an overlap.

It's a good idea but needs more work, maybe even try it with a few of the forwards, so that it isn't so predictable.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You may never see it. Some people just aren't a good judge when it comes to what makes a good footballer.

True. Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould must be terrible judges in that case...

The occasional good individual play may excite some people, but it does not consistently win football games.

Austin is a borderline first grader. He does some good things occasionally, but also does some very poor things and is often selfish.

He is overhyped because people were desperate for Anasta to be dropped.

super_coach

First Grade
Last night our attack was stuffed by the Melbourne wrestle and of course having the back line filled with forwards did not help.

Only Austen and Farah actually looked like having the ability to create something

moller

Juniors
Tend to agree.
He's incredibly selfish, and routinely makes poor decisions in high leverage situations (e.g. last play options).
There's definitely a player there, but he's as far away from a genuine 1st grade 5/8 as Moses is IMO.

Matchball

Bench
Tend to agree.
He's incredibly selfish, and routinely makes poor decisions in high leverage situations (e.g. last play options).
There's definitely a player there, but he's as far away from a genuine 1st grade 5/8 as Moses is IMO.

As opposed to Farahs last play options?
Both are guilty and brooks being absent was the cause last night.

Radical Rat

Juniors
True. Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould must be terrible judges in that case...

The occasional good individual play may excite some people, but it does not consistently win football games.

Austin is a borderline first grader. He does some good things occasionally, but also does some very poor things and is often selfish.

He is overhyped because people were desperate for Anasta to be dropped.

Please...If you think Austin is our problem you are kidding yourself. Bar Farah he was the only one out there with a creative bone in his body. Of course he took a couple of bad options, but what do you expect when he has zero help around him.

If people want to start a thread on useless players I can think of about 15 ahead of Austin at the moment.

TYGA

Juniors
Austin is a solid off the bench option currently. He is young and could develop but not the finished product.
This is the case with most of our squad and part of the reason amongst others the Potter situation has arisen.

We were outclassed by a better squad 1-17 and better coached Side (Bellamy v Potter). Coaching performance was terrible Akouala on the wing (conceded 2 directly), Lulia in the centre's Gavet coming on after we are getting flogged.

Our lack of depth is a disgrace considering we released big T and Koro.

WTF.

Tiger05

First Grade
His brain explosions actually remind me of Benji's. He is also a very selfish player and will often run the ball when it needs to be put through the hands.

He reminds me exactly of Benji. I rate him but I don't see him as a player to put into the halves and take the right option consistently.

Moses is so much more controlled and better suited to the 6 role.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Please...If you think Austin is our problem you are kidding yourself. Bar Farah he was the only one out there with a creative bone in his body. Of course he took a couple of bad options, but what do you expect when he has zero help around him.

If people want to start a thread on useless players I can think of about 15 ahead of Austin at the moment.

I never said Austin is our problem. I am stating that he is far from as good as being made out to be - he is certainly not good enough to be a first grade five-eighth for a top quality team.

He is not a creative player. He is occasionally a good ball runner. There is a BIG difference.

At least Austin provides some spark in attack ,our whole attack has become so one out it is predictable ,where as the Storm had players in motion and decoy runners supporting their ball carriers all game worrying our defence.

Latest posts