What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v USA: Rules

Hurriflatch

Referee
According to the Sun Herald the match will

- Be played with a red, white and blue ball
- Gridiron field markings
- Gridiron goalposts
- 4 x 20 min 1/4's
- Unlimited interchange

NPK

Bench
Are you serious?
That's a disgrace if it's true. Sounds like it would be a hybrid of League and Gridiron :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
- Gridiron goalposts

All fair enough - obviously you'd use what's available. The rules also say that gridiron posts are suitable goalposts... so whatever.

- 4 x 20 min 1/4's
- Unlimited interchange

Who cares? Minor variations really. As long as they're playing rugby league on the field is all that matters.

Razor

Coach
Captain Dread said:
- Gridiron goalposts

All fair enough - obviously you'd use what's available. The rules also say that gridiron posts are suitable goalposts... so whatever.

- 4 x 20 min 1/4's
- Unlimited interchange

Who cares? Minor variations really. As long as they're playing rugby league on the field is all that matters.

They play 4x20min quarters in some places anyway. Remember there is no break in between quarters, only halves, the same as the NFL.

I think most places outside Australia, NZ and England play Unlimited Interchange

Hurriflatch

Referee
One bit I missed the 1st time a skimmed over the story is that teams will actually have 9 reserves each

According to this pic, yes.
philadelphia_franklin.jpg

yakstorm

First Grade
The field markings and goal posts couldn't be changed anyway, well not without large cost, so thats perfectly fine. The gridiron field markings aren't much different from league markings anyway, so no problem there and as for the goal posts, well the rules for international league has had that in there for a long time anyway that they are allowed.

In fact in a few places in rural NSW and Queensland they do have the Union goal posts in fields which are generally used for touch football as well, the option allows touch football to have it two fields in the 120 meters league uses for its field.

Ball is just cosmetic, frankly doesn't matter if it is pink, brown and green, its still the same ball. Unlimited interchange and extra interchange, well it shows this wont be a test match then....that said most Sydney leagues have unlimited interchange, and extra reserves, well thats fine as well.

Most of these rules seem to be designed to make a more competitive game, that said, it will still be Rugby League on the screen, no fear of a Gridiron-hybrid.

oz_bat

Juniors
Will they be widening the fielf at all - understand american football field is only 160 feet (less than 50 metres) wide compared with league field which is normally 68 metres wide, unless playing cheating kiwis. This should help keep score down
Also I assume the players have to wear some arm and leg covering for the artificial surface?

In-goal

Bench
the field would have to be narrower, on your last i hope the kiwis reduce the field again next season.

It's been known that the ARL has widned pitches in the past to suit the home side.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hurriflatch said:

- Gridiron goalposts
- 4 x 20 min 1/4's
- Unlimited interchange

so is it still called Rugby League ?

anything else they want to change ?

Hurriflatch

Referee
Twizzle said:
Hurriflatch said:

- Gridiron goalposts
- 4 x 20 min 1/4's
- Unlimited interchange

Yup, 9 reserves not 4 (see a later post of mine)

errrm I think that is it tho

Jamesy

Juniors
Who cares, as long as they play rugby league on the field, it doesn't mattter. FFS, i don't know what all the fuss is about. :roll: :roll:

Geez man get a grip. They are playing a RL game in America between Australia and the US. Isn't that enough??

Maybe it should be called off because of these terrible rule changes. :roll:

yakstorm

First Grade
I don't know what the problem is some people are having with it, the majority of the changes are cosmetic, there will still be play the balls, and six tackles, and 13 men on the field for each side.

lloydy

Juniors
Yak is right.

The field may be a little narrow, unless something can be done, but hey, you have an international between the US and Australia, in the US. This is huge for eveyone over here and despite the result it's a huge credit to Dave Nieu, among others and all their hard work.

DIEHARD

----
Exactly Yakstorm. None of the rules effect the actual game.

I have to say though, I hate unlimited interchange. But it will help USA compete.

I'm so glad we got rid of it.

I can't wait for the game, a good wrap up to a good season.