What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia's premier sport

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, they dont need 6mill NSW people following AFL. They just need a decent market share. They have 3 of the 5 capital cities sewn up. They have an ever increasing presence in Sydney, Brisbane is a basket case for them at moment but they will turn their evil gaze north again at some point like Sauron on LoTR.

This is about a public perception as Australias national winter footy sport. If they can create that the $'s flow with it, major corporates deciding on which sport to attach to will think they a choice of a regionally isolated sport like NRL or a national sport like AFL and will increasingly go one way. Everything I have seen from the AFL in the last decade is positioning themselves for this. keep denying its possibility all you like but it isnt hard to see what their end game is.

mcround_643x370_01.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
AFL is kicking NRL's arse up and down the hallway at the moment, Perth Red is just calling a spade a spade.
We should be demanding the NRL does something because the idea of AFL taking over in NSW & Qld while we sit back and hibernate makes me puke.
Lets get on the front foot. Perth Pirates 2018, Brisbane Tide 2018.

T-Boon

Coach
What about talk of Sydney FC v Wanderers getting 65k plus? Heck I'd go see that. Love a big crowd.

Dodgy

Juniors
lol, they dont need 6mill NSW people following AFL. They just need a decent market share. They have 3 of the 5 capital cities sewn up. They have an ever increasing presence in Sydney, Brisbane is a basket case for them at moment but they will turn their evil gaze north again at some point like Sauron on LoTR.

This is about a public perception as Australias national winter footy sport. If they can create that the $'s flow with it, major corporates deciding on which sport to attach to will think they a choice of a regionally isolated sport like NRL or a national sport like AFL and will increasingly go one way. Everything I have seen from the AFL in the last decade is positioning themselves for this. keep denying its possibility all you like but it isnt hard to see what their end game is.

mcround_643x370_01.jpg
It won't happen. You are getting upset over nothing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol PR
Now jumping on the AFLOL bandwagon ....showing his true colours mow that the Sharks won't be RELOCATING TO PERTH

Go follow FUMBLEBALL you whiney bitch

And here we go........

Great contribution to the debate. Nothing to do with if I feel it's a great game, I don't. Just adding to a discussion on strategic positioning of sports codes. Apologies it's clearly above your head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL is kicking NRL's arse up and down the hallway at the moment, Perth Red is just calling a spade a spade.
We should be demanding the NRL does something because the idea of AFL taking over in NSW & Qld while we sit back and hibernate makes me puke.
Lets get on the front foot. Perth Pirates 2018, Brisbane Tide 2018.

Again afl won't take over nsw and Qland. It doesn't have to. It just needs to gauge out a decent chunk of the market to add to its dominance in the other states. Perception is rarely about reality, but perception becomes people's reality.

But I do agree a strategy to both shore up the home front and get on the front foot in afl states wouldn't go amiss!

T-Boon

Coach
Again afl won't take over nsw and Qland. It doesn't have to. It just needs to gauge out a decent chunk of the market to add to its dominance in the other states. Perception is rarely about reality, but perception becomes people's reality.

It is not out of the question that over time AFL takes over NSW & Qld. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon. But they aren't just going to stop expanding into these states. Its conceivable that within the next 10 or 20 years Brisbane has more AFL teams than NRL teams.

I don't see AFL ever having dominance like they have in the lower states but it could be a case of a 3 or 4 way tussle up here as to who is biggest.

Rugby League needs to make some bold, courageous decisions. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen under the current regime.

mongoose

Coach
It won't happen. You are getting upset over nothing.

Until the Swans and Lions teams are heavily made up of local talent then the average person in these states will never emotionally invest themselves in these teams. The Swans support is still mostly expats and trendy types who want to be seen going to sports events in moore park. Take a look at where the Swans biggest players have come from over the years:

Lance Franklin - WA
Tony Lockett - VIC
Adam Goodes - SA
Warrick Cappa - VIC
Barry Hall - VIC

none of these players have any emotional tie to sydney either, except maybe goodes

Reece75

Juniors
It is not out of the question that over time AFL takes over NSW & Qld. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon. But they aren't just going to stop expanding into these states. Its conceivable that within the next 10 or 20 years Brisbane has more AFL teams than NRL teams.

I don't see AFL ever having dominance like they have in the lower states but it could be a case of a 3 or 4 way tussle up here as to who is biggest.

Rugby League needs to make some bold, courageous decisions. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen under the current regime.

I remember sporting journos back in the early 2000's saying Queensland is officially an AFL state..what happened?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I remember sporting journos back in the early 2000's saying Queensland is officially an AFL state..what happened?

The Brisbane Lions started sucking...

The Swans are in the Top 4 every year it seems.. I would love to see how entrenched their support really is if they start to crap the bed for a few years in a row....

Lets not forget that the Waratahs and Reds used to get good crowds there for a while when they were dominating the comp....

docbrown

Coach
lol, they dont need 6mill NSW people following AFL. They just need a decent market share

What constitutes a decent market share?

If - as logic dictates - support and market share is reflected in the ratings, what the AFL have done in Sydney the NRL have done in Melbourne for a fraction of a price. Let's not forget the Swans had 17 year head start.

Propaganda & perception only gets you so far.

They have 3 of the 5 capital cities sewn up.

In 2066 they'll still have them sewn up. Just like they had in 1966 & 1916...

docbrown

Coach
Its conceivable that within the next 10 or 20 years Brisbane has more AFL teams than NRL teams.

It's conceivable based on the downward decline of their averages that within the next 10 years the Lions will be drawing sub 10k crowds.

T-Boon

Coach
It's conceivable based on the downward decline of their averages that within the next 10 years the Lions will be drawing sub 10k crowds.

They won't because the AFL will see that they start winning shortly. Their crowds have bottomed out at about 19k average after ten years of horror on the field (thats actually pretty good). It won't get lower than that. When they start winning they will go back up to 30k'ish.

It is far more likely that the AFL will have a second team in Brisbane than that the Lions will implode.
I am so pessimistic about the NRL and big decisions that if I had to bet I would bet on AFL having a second Brisbane team before NRL.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
What constitutes a decent market share?

If - as logic dictates - support and market share is reflected in the ratings, what the AFL have done in Sydney the NRL have done in Melbourne for a fraction of a price. Let's not forget the Swans had 17 year head start.

Propaganda & perception only gets you so far.

In 2066 they'll still have them sewn up. Just like they had in 1966 & 1916...

Are you saying the Storm get the same TV ratings in Melbourne as the Swans get in Sydney?
I haven't checked lately but that would surprise me... Obviously the storm crowds are much smaller.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Are you saying the Storm get the same TV ratings in Melbourne as the Swans get in Sydney?
I haven't checked lately but that would surprise me... Obviously the storm crowds are much smaller.
The storm actually rated better in Melbourne than the swans did in Sydney for the Grand Final.