What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome debut / rubbish career

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Ben vaeau was a big lump that hit the line hard.........only if someone else has done the hard run before him and managed a quick play the ball and had a retreating defence to run at. Took a few games to become evident though so at the start looked like we had our own moimoi but ended up with a Dave Taylor

rabbitohs95

Bench
In recent years for Souths i'd probably say Andrew Everingham.

Absolutely belted Travis Burns after he dropped the kickoff and then scored a try with his first touch of the ball. Had an awesome few games after that but just got found out and faded away into japanese rugby.

DiegoNT

First Grade
In recent years for Souths i'd probably say Andrew Everingham.

Absolutely belted Travis Burns after he dropped the kickoff and then scored a try with his first touch of the ball. Had an awesome few games after that but just got found out and faded away into japanese rugby.

Not sure about that. He become a regular first grader over 2012-2013 seasons playing 40 first grade before getting a huge contract from Japanese rugby. Considering he would of been close to nrl minimum wage and the Japanese contract was worth $500, 000, he at least quad tripled his value.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kevin Locke. Pretty sure he scored 2 tries - the only two - on debut in a win v the Tigers. The hype machine started whirring from there.

Turns out he was an immature shithead.

Nuts

Juniors
How could any Tiger fan not remember Jackson. Like you say the bloke was an absolute freak in his first game and I had high hopes for him.

Don't forget though he changed his name to Makasini Richter (spelling?) and ended up at Canterbury in 2005 from memory.

Was he the bloke that took himself of the field with a headache???

Special K

Coach
Stewart Mills is the stand out for mine. Killed it on debut, struggled with defence and pace(due to past injuries). Ended up signing with the Broncos and his first interview blasted the sharks about how much more professional the Broncos were. Ended up leaving mid season before playing a game because he couldn't afford living from home. Sharks offered him a T2 deal but he knocked it back to wait for a better deal which never came. Wonder what he is doing these days

Truly here, too. Mills, 19, scored a try, made a 70-metre bust, and ran 197 metres in total as the Sharks held out the Roosters.

'First touch of the ball, he ran 80 metres,'' Flanagan said.
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...or-flanagan-20110515-1eodh.html#ixzz45fN14UhN

carcharias

Immortal
Stewart Mills is the stand out for mine. Killed it on debut, struggled with defence and pace(due to past injuries). Ended up signing with the Broncos and his first interview blasted the sharks about how much more professional the Broncos were. Ended up leaving mid season before playing a game because he couldn't afford living from home. Sharks offered him a T2 deal but he knocked it back to wait for a better deal which never came. Wonder what he is doing these days
I have seen him around in his ute.
I thought he was playing out west.
Played a GF for some mob I thought

grouch

First Grade
All these people should bow down to the great Kieran Kerr. A halfback with 2 tries in his first 2 games for the Dragons in 2001... didnt play NRL again until bobbing up in 2004 in a few unimpressive games for the Tigers

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Prince Harada had an awesome debut which had trainer Tony Vasil glowing with praise,only for the horse to turn out to be the equivalent of Kade Snowden

steggz

Juniors
All these people should bow down to the great Kieran Kerr. A halfback with 2 tries in his first 2 games for the Dragons in 2001... didnt play NRL again until bobbing up in 2004 in a few unimpressive games for the Tigers

To be fair, he did break his leg, which led to the rise of Brett Firman, who got injured and led to the rise of Matthew Head.

Wizardman

First Grade
I do wonder how many less chances Luke Brooks would have if he did not have such a great debut against St George. He got a lot of brownie points out of that.

leaguegod692

Juniors
the stats from justin carney's debut were comparable to Sonny Bill's debut V eels

i know carney has had a good career in england but he was unstoppable on debut

Bench
To be fair, he did break his leg, which led to the rise of Brett Firman, who got injured and led to the rise of Matthew Head.

And in turn Head got poleaxed by knee injuries, he would have been a star if he could of stayed healthy.

Meth

Staff member
Fisiiahi and Locke for us.

Amos Roberts' career was far from shit, but he carved us up on debut and probably didn't kick on from there.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Fisiiahi and Locke for us.

Amos Roberts' career was far from shit, but he carved us up on debut and probably didn't kick on from there.
How often do these awesome debuts followed by shit careers seem like they're against us?

Or the he only played one good game after that, against the Warriors in.....