What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome!

PARANoIR

Bench
That's about the only word I can use to sum up our performance today. For atleast the first 70 minutes anyway.

Soft tries in the last 10 minutes, but these things happen.

Im very happy with todays result, other than the fact that Utai got sent off, today was all good.

Our big plus today was our defence, we were rock solid.

Go the Dogs.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Great result. Shifty looked very very good for the 1st 60 minutes. He and Patten were running off each other impressively - like the Dogs of old.

Really feel like we're building to something. This was a muuuuuuuuuuuch better game.

A little concerned about Utai (how many weeks will he get, can anyone guess?), but overall really happy with the performance. Hickey is an absolute gun!

P.S. Can someone please explain how Ryan wasn't selected for Origin? I mean, I'm not complaining because he played great for us today, but his lack of selection is a JOKE!!!

bluenwhite

Juniors
god, when are we going to get some challenging opposition again? lol. what an easy win. :p tigers played sh*t. i expected another game like last week, disappointed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well done all the boys, spirited performance, even the initial 12 man period we just kept repelling them, til evenutally the Phelps taken out midair tackle got them a try.

I'm worried Sonny may cop a week or two over the lifting sideline tackle, and well, Utai didn't deserve a send off but maybe 2 weeks.

Timmah

Staff member
Why jimmy?

Patten, Hazem, SBW, Tonga, Phelps, DJ, Shifty, Shrek, Grimaldi, Big Roy, Mason, Ryan, Maitua (Hughes, Armit, McIlwain, Myles)

No need for Cutler. SBW played centre half the game today anyway. On SBW, whoever asked above - early in the game when the Tigers made that break and the guy tried to fluke it in field, he was sorta above the horizontal. Nothing in it really, but wouldn't surprise me if it was cited at some minor level...

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah, but is it fair for Mason, O'Meley, Roy or Ryan to sit on the bench just so he can have #11?? He's a great centre when he doesn't try miracle balls and played there most of today anyway. Why bring in Cutler when we have such enormous depth already? Plus, Cutler has nothing on some of the players available.

PARANoIR

Bench
Williams will definitely go to the centers again, simply because we have ZERO depth in that position and we're not paying 400k plus a year for a bench warmer.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Timmah said:
On SBW, whoever asked above - early in the game when the Tigers made that break and the guy tried to fluke it in field, he was sorta above the horizontal. Nothing in it really, but wouldn't surprise me if it was cited at some minor level...

Ah right I thought you meant that. Yeah I think there was bugger all in it - they've done a lot of analysis about the interpretation of the rule, and I think its more to do with a "dangerous position" than lifting in the tackle. Surely SBW won't get cited for that.

SBW will definitely get a start in the centers. While I think he plays awesome in the 2nd row, and I'm stoked whenever he's named there, the reality is until we clean out some of the stock of forwards, he's not going to get a start (until next year, when we have Millard and Tonga in the centers). Next year we will have more depth in the backs, and SBW should play week-in-week-out in the forwards. At least, I bloody hope he does!!!

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't be sure. Past Tonga and Millard our centre depth still isn't great, and I think we'll find SBW will not settle into the forwards until at least '08. Bare in mind a couple of things - Myles is starting standard. If we hold onto him and not Roy, he thoroughly deserves the #11, shift Mason to partner Shrek in #10, and have SBW as backup. Hell, turf Holdsworth and play SBW out of 5/8th. He's got a good kicking game - just needs some tactical training IMO.

petetheileet

First Grade
You guys are looking so damn good, adapting to any style of play and doing it with ease...hope to see use in September

axie

Juniors
I'm still not convinced with Shifty, he certainly showed major signs of improvement today, but I'll feel happier if he can back it up with similar performances over the next few weeks.

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
axie said:
I'm still not convinced with Shifty, he certainly showed major signs of improvement today, but I'll feel happier if he can back it up with similar performances over the next few weeks.

I agree. His kicking game still isn't 100%

I think his passing was a lot better, and his positional play far improved (I watched the Storm game again over the weekend, and honestly - he was terrible).

Having said that, I think DJ's kicking game is one of the best in the competition. And I say that with inside info from someone who knows him from his days at the Dragons. DJ and Shifty are starting to click a little bit better together. I actually rate DJ very, very highly - he's young and has shown a lot of potential.

Re: Timmah's comment about SBW into 5/8th, the kid is good, but I think he's more suited to a 2nd row or centers role. We tried putting Reni in the 5/8th position and it didn't work out. This new desire to put centers into 5/8th... I'm not convinced. SBW would need a kicking game before it was even considered. I'm also not 100% that we'll actually manage to keep myles - however if we do, you're right. SBW probably still wouldn't make it into the forward pack, creating a new interesting dilemma... Where do you put him?!?!

Latest posts