What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bailey eyes Gold future after Dragons

DIEHARD

----
By Greg Prichard - June 10, 2005

NSW State of Origin star Luke Bailey's future is set to be decided soon, with the St George Illawarra prop expected to re-sign with the Dragons for one year and at the same time commit himself long-term to new club Gold Coast from 2007.

Bailey comes off contract at the end of this season and, if he is still available when the anti-tampering deadline passes on June 30, he will be one of the most sought-after players in the game.

But his future will probably be decided before then, with the management of the Dragons understood to be likely to give Bailey permission to negotiate with the Gold Coast as a trade-off for him being prepared to re-sign for his existing club for next year.

It would be a win-win situation for both parties, since Bailey is keen on a change of lifestyle but also determined to do the right thing by the club and stick around to help their promising young props continue to develop over the short term.

That scenario would also be likely to satisfy the club's fans - among the most passionate in the competition - because of their fears that Bailey could end up at next-door neighbours Cronulla, a result they would hate.

Bailey is obviously not allowed to negotiate with Gold Coast at this stage, but the new club has registered its interest in him if he does become available.

More importantly, Bailey has openly discussed his interest in a possible move north with his family to take up a spot at the new club if they wanted him.

"I've been speaking to [St George Illawarra chief executive] Peter Doust and there are some delicate negotiations going on," Bailey's manager, Allan Gainey, told the Herald last night. "It's obviously a bit hard to talk to Luke at the moment because he's in camp with the NSW side, so I'll talk to him again at the right time. I can't say any more than that."

Asked if he could provide an insight into developments, Doust said last night: "I'm quite angry I'm being asked to comment, because such talks should be confidential. Ideally, I'd like us to keep Luke Bailey for the rest of his career."

The Dragons, because of the depth of star players on their playing roster, have salary-cap problems each year and at the end of next year they will have a number of regular first-graders coming off contract.

They include young props Justin Poore and Ashton Sims, halfback Mathew Head, centres Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper and utility players Ben Creagh and Dean Young.

It is understood Bailey, regarded as a terrific club man, wants to do what he feels is the right thing by the club and not hinder the Dragons keeping their younger stars by eating up too much of the cap himself.

Souce: http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Bailey-eyes-Gold-future-after-Dragons/2005/06/09/1118123958966.html?oneclick=true

Kingytek

Juniors
Ok, this is a good start in the forwards department. Unlike the old Gold Coast, it seems players actually want to be there. Seagulls/Chargers had trouble recruiting big names.

imasharkie

Coach
It'd be a real shame to see a local Shelarba (Shellharbour) champion leave town

You can't blame him for going north after all who'd want to live their football life out in Kogarah.

macavity

Referee
he wants a change of lifestyle?

rules cronulla out then.

hope Newcastle make a play for him, great lifestyle here. and you can have perry instead...

hindy_fan

Juniors
i think newcastle will have trouble signing big name players for next year with the current finaical problems.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I support Baileys decision

He has started a family now & is looking out for their best interests. I mean who wouldn't want to live on the Gold Coast? He's stated he's love to stay with Saints but that's life & sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good

Well we may as well make the most of his season & a half left with us. Hopefully there will be a premiership in that time

P.S Glad he isn't going to sign with Cronulla

nqboy

First Grade
Preston and now Bailey. If you had to start a club from scratch, that's a fair start.

DIEHARD

----
Bailey set to join Coast
18Jun05

St George Illawarra and NSW State of Origin prop Luke Bailey is likely to be signed by the Gold Coast NRL club by the end of next week.

The workaholic forward is one of the prime targets for the Coast and late this week was given one-off permission to negotiate with the NRL's newest club.

"I will be up on the Gold Coast from Wednesday to Friday next week and I would be hopeful that we could resolve this pretty quickly," said Bailey's manager Allan Gainey yesterday.

"Luke has family on the Gold Coast, an aunt and uncle and a cousin that he is pretty close to. He goes up there quite often and likes the place and he is looking for a new challenge. I think it will all fit in pretty well. I would be confident that we will get it (a deal) done."

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle will be back in town 0n Tuesday after a recruitment drive in Great Britain.

Both he and debut coach John Cartwright have singled out Bailey as one of the major players to build their club around.

Cartwright is adamant he wants four big, go-forward props that will give the Gold Coast plenty of momentum and respect.

Gainey said the Dragons had reluctantly given their approval for Bailey to talk to the Gold Coast and that decision was also rubber stamped by the NRL.

"St George will have a lot of salary cap issues next year and they have up to six good young players coming off contract," he said. "Rather than tie up one player that might command $300,000-$400,000 they can do something to keep their fans happy."

ut Saints chief executive Peter Doust said the Dragons were still very interested in retaining Bailey.

"We have given him permission to negotiate with Gold Coast only," said Doust.

"We are interested to get the detail on what is on offer up there for him and what it might mean to us. He (Bailey) has expressed a desire to stay with the Dragons and we would like him to stay forever, by the same token the challenge of the Gold Coast is probably a good one for him."

Next week's talks between Gainey and Searle may supply a double bonus for the Gold Coast with Panther's will-o'- the wisp Preston Campbell, another Gainey client, also a major discussion topic.

Campbell has publicly proclaimed his desire to return to the Gold Coast, where he began his NRL career.

Both Campbell and Bailey, who are contracted to the end of this season, are tipped to stay with their current clubs before joining the Gold Coast for their debut in 2007.

Searle said his meetings with players in England had 'exceeded all expectations'.

"I have probably met with between 15 and 20 players and there are lots of expressions of interest coming from both Australian and British players," he said.

"We have got to work through the deal, but what I want to make sure doesn't occur is that players make a swift decision and regret that decision in six to eight months.

"I was never going to come back with signatures from this trip. My aim was an educational tour to highlight what we are doing and the culture of the club and also the opportunity the Coast provides."

Searle met with Great Britain internationals, winger Brian Carney and prop Stuart Fielden.

"We are in the process of talking with Brian, and Stuart is not off contract until in the end of 2007," he said.

Collateral

Coach
I'm a bit worried about Matt Cooper wanting to leave for the GC when his contract is up as he is Luke Bailey's best mate.

I have a feeling that you guys might also pick-up Clint Greenshields. If you did you guys would have the makings for a great Backline with Presto at 6/7 and Greeny at 1.