What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball hitting the spider cam

BranVan3000

Coach
2UE is reporting that that apparently last week Adam Reynolds' kick for touch hit the spider cam cables causing it to fail to make it into touch. Not sure if true.

What are the rules if this device impedes play?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
halfbacks who run at the line don't encounter this issue..

ek999

First Grade
2UE is reporting that that apparently last week Adam Reynolds' kick for touch hit the spider cam cables causing it to fail to make it into touch. Not sure if true.

What are the rules if this device impedes play?

Any idea of what time during the match that happened?

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm sure I've seen instances where the ball hits the ref and he yells play on... but perhaps it was the ref being in the way of the attacking team.

Any idea of what time during the match that happened?

It happened just after half time.

Souths had received a penalty in their own half and Reynolds kicked for touch. Apparently the ball hit the spider cam cable and deviated in flight. The kick didn't find touch and the Tigers went 70 odd metres in that set and scored.

I won't say that it was the pivotal moment in the match but it certainly put it beyond doubt imo. The Tigers already had a decent lead but the match was at the point where if Souths scored next, they would have at least been in with a show.

Watching it live at the ground, I thought it was just a poor kick. It looked like Reynolds had tried to kick it a bit further than he was actually capable of. Haven't seen the tv replay but there were quite a few people ringing talkback yesterday who were adamant that the ball had clipped the cable.

DC_fan

Coach
I am more worried about if the spider cam crashes to ground during a game and injures a player

beave

Coach
If the ball hits the ref, its a scrum feed to the team who is deemed the attacking team which reflects which half of the field the ball was in at the time. You could be defending but in the oppositions half and you will get the feed.

Canard

Immortal
I'm sure I've seen instances where the ball hits the ref and he yells play on... but perhaps it was the ref being in the way of the attacking team.

Well that referee got it wrong.

Its a scrum feed to the attacking team, which is determined by what half team with the ball is in. (i.e. between there goaline and 50 they are the "defending" team, between 50 and the tryline they are the "attacking" team)

cleary89

Coach
At the field next to shark park that use to be cronulla caringbah there is power lines over the top (or was when I refed). If the ball hit the powerlines it was a scrum to the attacking team (based on field position, i.e. they are above the 30m line, if you are attacking the try line closest to them its your ball). Not sure it ever happened though. Just like if a ball pops, a dog runs onto the field and steals the ball or if a fat bloke streaks at origin.

Latest posts