What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle over grandstand - St.George Leader

R2K

Bench
http://www.r2k.info/news/stgleader150207.html

Battle over grandstand

St.George Leader - Thursday, 15 February 2007 - page 14

By Jim Gainsford

Kogarah Council has approved an extension to the grandstand and related works at Jubilee Oval, worth an estimated $13 million, despite calls from residents living in surrounding streets for a redesign.

The proposal is to extend the grandstand to the north and south, improve change rooms and corporate facilities, and build new offices, a merchandising shop and a museum.

The northern end of the extension will have an overhang of eight metres from the existing fence line projecting out to Park Street and will stand 7.5 metres tall from the ground to the overhang.

Park Street resident Lewis Chambers said the new building would overshadow his residence and he would lose his views.

"It will rise up to four storeys. The sun will not come up at 6:30am, but 11am on a good day," Mr Chambers said.

"Residents' objections have been thoroughly discounted. They are basically reducing the park into a nature strip for the oval."

English Street resident, Dr Terry O'Connor, described the situation as a David and Goliath battle with Prime Minister Howard, the State Government and Dragons fans on one side, and a very small park and residents on the other.

However, Lachlan McLean of Return to Kogarah said the upgrade would guarantee the venue met NRL standards for home semi-finals.

Dragons chief executive officer, Peter Doust, said the extensions were specifically to bring the ground up to NRL standards.

"I do acknowledge there is the issue of overhanging of the northern end of the grandstand," Mr Doust said.

"I believe it will not impact on the use of the facility. It overhangs the park, but will not impact on the use of the park."

The club plans to upgrade parkland around the memorial near the corner of Park and English streets.

Moving approval, Councillor Nick Katris said he understood the residents' concerns about bulk.

"I understand there will be further encroachment being made to the public park. There is overshadowing," Cr Katris said.

"I believe this application will go through because it represents a substantial upgrade of the facilities for St.George supporters.

Following the decision, Park Street resident May Koshakji said:

"I have been a supporter of St.George all my life and I don't think it will make a difference to supporters what type of grandstand they are in. It's alright for the councillors. They just come to visit and then leave after the game. We have to live with it."

Related articles:

http://www.r2k.info/press/leader-8804.html

http://www.r2k.info/press/lightsbattle.html