What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach RL hits Chicago

Ormskirk Heeler

Juniors
Attempts have been made to kick start Rugby League in the Mid West of America this month. Several members of the British RL club side Ormskirk Heelers were in the Chicago area for a wedding, a select team known as the Chicago Saints was raised by former Heelers chairman Mike Featherstone who is now resident in the windy city. The game was orginally to be played on a football field however due to the last minute nature of the game play was relocated to the city’s North Avenue Beach and so it was "Beach Rugby League" that came to the shore of Lake Michigan. A 9 a side scrimmage version of the game was played with two 30 minute halves, three man scrums, no kicks for goal and a pitch marked out with an area 70 x 40 yards. The game was refereed by former Great Britain students rep Andrew Armitage and attracted many interested onlookers. The home side included 2 American Nationals and 2 residents as well as a number of guest players from overseas whilst the Heelers selection included 6 players from their 2005 Rugby League Conference campaign. The game ended in 5 tries each for a score of Chicago Saints 20 Ormskirk Heelers select 20. Organisers now hope to formally introduce Rugby League to the area possibly by hosting a 7 or 9 a side tournament before the end of the year with the hope of attracting local Union clubs to enter teams. It is hoped this could be a vehicle to establishing a future summer based competition in the Mid West with the Saints acting as a representative side for the area and possibly applying to enter the AMNRL at some point in the future. Anyone interested in getting involved with Rugby League in Chicago can contact the venture at chicagosaints@hotmail.com.

Match report

Chicago Saints 20 Ormskirk Heelers 20

Chicago started well in their debut game when a Heelers mistake from the kick off and a well judged John Winder grubber kick to ingoal forced back to back drop outs and resulted in an early try for Chris Birkett who was able to scoot over untouched from dummy half. The Saints continued to control much of the early exchanges with a high completion rate and astute kicking game to keep the Heelers on the back foot. It wasn't until half way through the first half that the "tourists" threatened with a well taken Nev Jones score against the run of play. The Saints were to reply almost immediately though and elusive running from Ian Hughes in broken play took them close after Mike Featherstone's inside ball. It was this play that set up good field position for Jim Featherstone to give Gary Hughes the simplest of touchdowns and take the Saints in 8-4 up at the half.
With the advent of the second half the younger, fitter Heelers outfit came to the fore resulting in quick fire tries for Richardson from close range and Fisher galloping in from the half way line as the Chicago defence went AWOL. It looked as though the homesters would crumble as Mousley then reached over the line with three defenders on his back to put the Heelers up 8-16 however the Saints kept themselves in the game thrugh an Ian Hughes touchdown as defences tired and the game became scrappy. Any thoughts of a comeback were put on hold though as Mousley once again who was outstanding for Ormskirk throughout scored after good work from Johnson and skipper Gibson. The last 10 minutes of the game were frantic and a McGrath sin binning for kicking the ball away when the Saints had been awarded a penalty gave the home side a sniff once again. Shortlly after, Gary Hughes' massive hit on the Heelers Johnson raised the game's tempo and the Englishmen appeared rattled. From the next set of six, Featherstone kicked in to the in goal for Ian Hughes to touchdown in the corner and it was game on! As the Heelers looked to run the clock down Chicago's Ste Scott intercepted on his own line and ran virtually the length of the field before being tackled superbly by Fisher who undid his good work by holding the big man down in desperation to prevent a quick play the ball. Fisher was duly dispatched to the sin bin and from the resultant tap penalty, good hands from the Saints allowed them to utilise the now two man advantage for Brad Weber to dive spectacularly in at the corner and dramatically snatch a draw for the Saints in a grandstand finish.

MOM: Brad Weber in hs first ever game of rugby. A natural sportsman and a great advert for what RL could could unearth in American athletes.

That's wicked. Beach RL is something that has never really been tried on a large scale but I reckon it's a really fun way to play the game. It's very safe because there's no hard ground and it's a bit slower due to the surface. Kicking along the ground is almst impossible so that takes some of the uncertainty out of grubber kicks etc. In fact it's interesting to know there were dropouts in this game, something I thought would be difficult.

ali

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
That's wicked. Beach RL is something that has never really been tried on a large scale but I reckon it's a really fun way to play the game. It's very safe because there's no hard ground and it's a bit slower due to the surface. Kicking along the ground is almst impossible so that takes some of the uncertainty out of grubber kicks etc. In fact it's interesting to know there were dropouts in this game, something I thought would be difficult.

I'd say the most famous game of beach Rugby League would have to be the one that started the Cronulla riots.

mattystans000

Juniors
Might be going a bit out of the way but can anyone who saw the match or knows about provide a team list for the Chicago Saints, great to find out who wants to further the game in America.

Ormskirk Heeler

Juniors
mattystans000 said:
Might be going a bit out of the way but can anyone who saw the match or knows about provide a team list for the Chicago Saints, great to find out who wants to further the game in America.

Teams

Chicago Saints

1. Ian Hughes
3. Chris Birkett
4. Steven Scott
5. Jimmy Featherstone
6. Colin Armstrong
7. Mike Featherstone (Captain)
9. Gary Hughes
13. John Winder
21. Brad Webber

Subs

07. John Urnevitch
25. Jeff Collins

Ormskirk Heelers select

1. Neil Gibson (Captain)
2. Nev Jones
3. Dave Richardson
4. Ben Mousley
5. Stu Fisher
6. Sean Dunne
7. Paul Styles
8. Tom McGrath
9. Chris Johnson

Sub

Si Nixon

Date: Friday 19th May 2006

Venue: North Avenue Beach, Chicago

Referee: Mr A. Armitage (St.Helens, England)

HT score: Saints 8 Heelers select 4
FT score: Saints 20 Heelers select 20

I have some photos of the game but don't know how to post them on this forum.

joshreading

Staff member
Is this connected to the West Chicago Condors Rugby side or a different venture?

Ormskirk Heeler

Juniors
joshreading said:
Is this connected to the West Chicago Condors Rugby side or a different venture?

This is a completely seperate venture but we would certainly like to work alongside the Condors in promoting RL within Chicago. I intitially contacted the Condors about a Condors v Heelers event and they were keen to be involved but the Heelers weren't sure whether they could raise a full side. Then there was issues over when we could play the game as a lot of the players were only in town for a few days. In the end the only time the Heelers were available was a Friday afternoon. It was just one of those things when we couldn't bring the two togeather so we played the 9 a side Heelers v Chicago Saints game. There hasn't been much news recently on the Condors website about RL and the last email I sent them didn't receive a reply so I'm not sure how their operation will develop. However we are hoping to get the sport up and running in the city though the area's first Rugby League club, the Chicago Saints.

joshreading

Staff member
I think it would be great to see two RL clubs rise up in the Chicago area. maybe if the two could talk from day one and start the AMNRL Mid West Board and ensure everyone works together.

Ormskirk Heeler

Juniors
joshreading said:
I think it would be great to see two RL clubs rise up in the Chicago area. maybe if the two could talk from day one and start the AMNRL Mid West Board and ensure everyone works together.

Sounds good to me.

tcc_dc

Juniors
Heeler,

How about a contact with the Chicago Lions? or Griffins?

Those are two teams who have lots of sides who could potentially play some league.

Nothing against the Condors, but they are not close to being the best union/club in Chicago.

My two cents.

tcc

Ormskirk Heeler

Juniors
tcc_dc said:
Heeler,

How about a contact with the Chicago Lions? or Griffins?

Those are two teams who have lots of sides who could potentially play some league.

Nothing against the Condors, but they are not close to being the best union/club in Chicago.

My two cents.

tcc

I used to play for the Griffins so know all about the set up down there and it would be great to get all the Union clubs in the city on board. I think at this stage it doesn't matter what standard players have previously played at, it's about getting people involved in the sport in Chicago. We would be hoping to attract players from all backgrounds and levels i.e Football/Aussie and Gaelic Football/RU/Soccer. Longer term it would be great if we could attract the Union clubs to enter teams into a summer based Chicago competition. Ideally the Saints could then act as a rep side for the area, with a similiar set up to the Jacksonville Axemen.

Latest posts