What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears Premier League squad

Palms

Juniors
Has anyone heard any news on the final squad selected for the Bears Premier League side? I'd be interested to find out..
cheers

girvie

Staff member
At the moment all i know are the ones listed on the Bears website. It is only 14 players and doesn't include any of the triallists so there are probably about 20 others which haven't been named yet.

Re-signing for 2006 Premier League

John Russell
Andrew Moodie
Luke Fatnowna
Ben Ellis
Michael Harper
Richard Retimana
Anthony Beare

New recruits for 2006 Premier League

Ben Black (from Halifax)
Scott McLean (from St. Marys)
Brendan Crabb (from Manly)
Daniel Watkins (from Manly)
Daniel Russell (from Parramatta)
Aaron Trinder (from Manly)
Suli Koroibulileka (from Manly)

brook

First Grade
Ben Black is a half yes

very talented, if a little on the small side but got a HUGE ego and attitude problem

If he's straightened himself out and got over his high opinion of himself he'll probably be a pretty good signing

girvie

Staff member
I think Black will go well next year. He played for the Bears in 2003 and 2004 and was one of our best.

I have heard he has improved himself with his year and a half stint with Halifax in England. Hopefully he will have the right attitude. I heard he had his jaw broken in a punch up in a bar over in England.

He scored 26 tries in 23 games for them this year. It is unbelievable for a Halfback to score that many tries, even if it is a lower standard of competition.

girvie

Staff member
Palms said:
Is that the Ben Black that played for the tigers a few years back??
Yes.

mightydragon said:
Is that the same Andrew Moodie who has been named in the train on squad at the Magpies?
He played at the Bears for 2005. I think the Magpies have got it wrong and he will be at the Bears again next year.

Palms

Juniors
Thanks Girvie, much appreciated.

He had 1 or 2 starts from memory for the tigers, once against storm and had a solid debut. Lets hope he can get his commitement back on track

brook

First Grade
Black looked very good in his couple of starts for the tigers - especially given he made them from flegg bypassing PL completely.

He really is very talented - I still think he could have made a good first grader if he'd kept his ego in check and he's still more than young enough to make a good contribution to the bears.

girvie

Staff member
He may even end up playing for the Storm by the end of the year if they have an injury. I don't think they have much depth in the halves.

2 True Blues

Coach
I have seen him play a few times and from what I have seen BLACK goes very well. Obviously attempting a game with the storm next season though. He caused the Jets more then a few problems in games in seasons past.....

Mighty Tiger

Bench
girvie said:
He may even end up playing for the Storm by the end of the year if they have an injury. I don't think they have much depth in the halves.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit either to be honest a good move by him to go to the Bears IMO to try and get back into the NRL

The kid has a heap of talent if he can get his mentality and ego right then he could go very very well for the Bears and also the Storm

On another note Mick Harper is another I expect to see being talked about this year as a possible Storm bench player as the year goes on - front row is a position they don't have a heap of depth in and he really is a promising young prop (another Tigers recruit ;))