What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beep Test

Echo-The-Tiger

Juniors
As part of our fitness testing we have to complete a beep test so I was wondering if anyone had any tips/techniques (other than improving fitness:p) to achieve that little bit extra.

Cheers

Chook Norris

First Grade
I was always crappy in the beep test, averaging level 10 but i do have a few tips that i've learnt from others

-obviously, take deep breaths
-long strides [first 2 levels are walkable]
-and try not running straight up and down but running in a circular motion when you hit the line [probably when u get towards the latter stages]

JB

Juniors
A good preparation exercise for it.

Mark out you 20 metres (or however long it is) on a field.

Get someone to time you for periods of 2 minutes.

In those 2 minutes sprint from 1 end to the other. When you reach there do 10 sit ups - sprint down the other end do 10 push ups - repeat until 2 minutes is up.

At the end of the 2 minutes you get 1 minute rest (make the most of it) then you repeat the exercise again for another 2 minutes. In total you do 5 of these 2 minute blasts with a minutes rest in between.

Note: This exercise is not so much fitness training but more beep test specific preparation. It simulates the beep test but with the added physical component (push up's and sit up's) makes it more challenging so that when it comes time to do the actual test, it doesn't seem as hard and you can possibly push yourself a bit extra. Probably only pays to do this once...twice at the most before your actual test, and no closer than 2 days out from your beep test proper.

Trust me it's hard yakka, but worth it. Had to reach a certain level to make a rep touch team, with the help of this training cruised it.

Let us know how you go.

Ridders

Coach
I was always crappy in the beep test, averaging level 10 but i do have a few tips that i've learnt from others

-obviously, take deep breaths
-long strides [first 2 levels are walkable]
-and try not running straight up and down but running in a circular motion when you hit the line [probably when u get towards the latter stages]

Back when I was in high school and did the beep test, I remember I had a mate who did the exact same thing. He didn't do it stop-start, but as you said ran in a circular motion so that his momentum never stopped. It's a great tip.

sooperdooper

First Grade
the beep test is old school... i wouldnt really recommend it to anyone.
I would much prefer the Yo-Yo test.

Latest posts