What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Barba

Country Dragon

Juniors
I hate this argument and I was expecting it to come up.

The doctor gets paid for 30+ years because he has worked 30+ years in the job. This is not a privilege, just a job that demands pay for the time spent working.

A footballer is not underprivileged because they can only play for 10-15 years. It's 10-15 years more than you or I will ever have in order to earn millions of $$$. Poor diddums have to join the real world when there career finishes? Big deal :roll:

As for the injury...you can be shot dead in the army but people still sign up. Its a personal choice and if a player gets a career ending injury after a couple of seasons then so be it. The player still earned good money for two years before joining the real world.

No sympathy whatsoever for a Rugby League player. It is a choice to play the game and cop the public scrutiny, the short career length and the risk of injury.
Can't handle the fame= don't play. Worried about getting injured= don't play. Want to take drugs= Don't play. Want to urinate on a wall in public= Don't play. Want to earn good money for more than 10 years= study to be a doctor.
They deserve their money, the game makes millions why aren't they entitled to their share? If a young doctor has a big night out is it all over the newspapers the next day.
Surely people have to feel some sympathy with the way they are treated by some members of the public ( usually the jealous one's)

Breathingfire

Juniors
They deserve their money, the game makes millions why aren't they entitled to their share? If a young doctor has a big night out is it all over the newspapers the next day.
Surely people have to feel some sympathy with the way they are treated by some members of the public ( usually the jealous one's)

They deserve their money because they are earning off the revenue they are creating, but like any career they made a CHOICE. They know that they will only have a career for a short time, they know they will be publicly scrutinized and they know their bodies will be belted from pillar to post. Until they introduce conscription in professional sport, I will continue to have no sympathy.

The reason a doctor will not wind up in the newspaper after a big night is because they are not in the public eye. League players on the other hand; are. If they don't like it, they don't have to play.

Breathingfire

Juniors
If you have ever seen some of the bullshit players have to put up with on a night out you might change your mind

Yeah, I am guessing they get hassled quite a bit and I certainly do not condone that. I would have liked Benji Marshall to knock that clown out that had a go at him at Maccas a couple of years ago.

64 Dragon

Coach
I don't think money or the lack of it is his problem. He has personal problems which none of us really know about. He split up with his long time partner who is the mother of his 2 children. That in itself could be devastating to a young country boy. For all we know he could have some sort of depression, which is affecting his life.

Let's just leave him alone to work out his problems. Even though he is a Bulldog I think he is a great player, who everyone loves watching.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I don't think money or the lack of it is his problem. He has personal problems which none of us really know about. He split up with his long time partner who is the mother of his 2 children. That in itself could be devastating to a young country boy. For all we know he could have some sort of depression, which is affecting his life.

Let's just leave him alone to work out his problems. Even though he is a Bulldog I think he is a great player, who everyone loves watching.

fair call

tumbidragon

First Grade

Great post!

nrlnrl

First Grade
Very suss. They did not stand Mason down when he was busted with Drugs why Barba?

A different CEO & policy at the club - they now have a code of conduct ( so do all / most others ). As mentioned in yesterday's press conference, he has several issues to deal with & some of these resulted in breaches of the code of conduct.

saints4ever

First Grade

The fact is every job has pros and cons. Mine is that I can go out with my mates and if I make a goose of myself I can expect trouble. On the odd occasion I might be in the worng place at the wrong time too. The cons are shit wage, living pay check to pay check. With this, as all things, come choices.

As an example, say I would like more time to play video games, or buy blu rays, as they are my thing. But if I buy one, most likely I will have to sacrifice something else, like going to the movies or getting a weekly instead of a fortnightly etc. In one way or another, i'll struggle.

I should have the right to buy whatever I want with my hard earned, but I know that there are things I will have to compromise to do so. This is what is called being an adult, something a few footballers know nothing about. A footballer makes a shit load of money (as he is entitled to do if someone is going to pay him that much) but he should expect to be hassled by f**kwits when he goes out on the piss. Is it right or fair? No, but who cares? That is the price you pay for getting the big bucks.

No one is expecting them to be perfect, but I do think some level of common sense should prevail. If you dont want to get hassled, dont go out. If you do go out and get hassled, dont complain.

So no, I dont feel any sympathy for them. I do agree that it shouldnt happen, but it does and wont be changing. Players need to suck it up and face the real world

Country Dragon

Juniors
The fact is every job has pros and cons. Mine is that I can go out with my mates and if I make a goose of myself I can expect trouble. On the odd occasion I might be in the worng place at the wrong time too. The cons are shit wage, living pay check to pay check. With this, as all things, come choices.

As an example, say I would like more time to play video games, or buy blu rays, as they are my thing. But if I buy one, most likely I will have to sacrifice something else, like going to the movies or getting a weekly instead of a fortnightly etc. In one way or another, i'll struggle.

I should have the right to buy whatever I want with my hard earned, but I know that there are things I will have to compromise to do so. This is what is called being an adult, something a few footballers know nothing about. A footballer makes a shit load of money (as he is entitled to do if someone is going to pay him that much) but he should expect to be hassled by f**kwits when he goes out on the piss. Is it right or fair? No, but who cares? That is the price you pay for getting the big bucks.

No one is expecting them to be perfect, but I do think some level of common sense should prevail. If you dont want to get hassled, dont go out. If you do go out and get hassled, dont complain.

So no, I dont feel any sympathy for them. I do agree that it shouldnt happen, but it does and wont be changing. Players need to suck it up and face the real world
Sounds like you might be one of the jealous one's.Do you have any particular skills should see you get paid higher than most people, I wonder?

saints4ever

First Grade
Sounds like you might be one of the jealous one's.Do you have any particular skills should see you get paid higher than most people, I wonder?

I fail to see how in my text you can come up with the fact I am jealous. Did you not see the line where I say they have a right to earn as much as they can? Did you miss the part where I say I don't think it's right that they should be hassled? My point has always been about not crying foul for the poor defenceless footy players when it does happen. They make choices from the circumstances their employment status throws at them. We all do. Has nothing to do with skills or more money.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I fail to see how in my text you can come up with the fact I am jealous. Did you not see the line where I say they have a right to earn as much as they can? Did you miss the part where I say I don't think it's right that they should be hassled? My point has always been about not crying foul for the poor defenceless footy players when it does happen. They make choices from the circumstances their employment status throws at them. We all do. Has nothing to do with skills or more money.
You just think they should all stay locked up at home and not have a life outside of their occupation's?

saints4ever

First Grade
You just think they should all stay locked up at home and not have a life outside of their occupation's?

Are you serious? Do you skim over things you read? Very well I will spell it out for you yet again. I do not think it is right that they get hassled. I do not think I should feel sorry for them when they CHOOSE to go out and face whatever may be. It is the risk they take. No one makes them go.

Let me go further. If a 20s player has to work nights as a barman to make ends meet, and people give him shit, that I have a big problem with. Not someone who wants to party gets abused and cries about it into their 5000 thread cotton sheets, and who won't have any worries paying their next month's rent. But the poor diddums couldn't have a nice night out

Country Dragon

Juniors
Are you serious? Do you skim over things you read? Very well I will spell it out for you yet again. I do not think it is right that they get hassled. I do not think I should feel sorry for them when they CHOOSE to go out and face whatever may be. It is the risk they take. No one makes them go.

Let me go further. If a 20s player has to work nights as a barman to make ends meet, and people give him shit, that I have a big problem with. Not someone who wants to party gets abused and cries about it into their 5000 thread cotton sheets, and who won't have any worries paying their next month's rent. But the poor diddums couldn't have a nice night out
Jealousy's a curse!!!

redbreed

Juniors
I love watching the game. But i've meet a few players, mainly ex player's and the majority of them are jerks. They think there so much better then everyone I can see why there are some that get in trouble. We have the best players by far there polite and well behaved, so what do you think is the difference. The players that make the headlines generally come from the same club's over and over again.