What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Lee utter crap

raider_ktj

Juniors
Alex28 said:
ATF and Gyroscope are a completely different genre to ben Lee - same goes for Axl Rose, David Lee Roth, et al. It is not fair to the guy to compare him to genre's that you are obviously big fans of.

I agree his music writing is weak at best, but at least compare apples with apples...

Im not comparing their music, im just saying they are better Australian talent then him overall. Ben Lee imo did not deserve the best male artist, there were better artists then him (ie, John Butler). The whole Aria night is a joke, and i just cant wait till other bands are recognised and acknowledged for their efforts.

I think it is a joke that John Butler was even nominated for best male artist last year. He is in the John Butler Trio! It's a band, even if it is JB that writes most of it. Would Phil Jamieson get it if it was Phil Jamieson's Grinspoon?

Alex28

Coach
John Butler might as well be a solo artist - he hires his band mates and they have no contribution towards songwriting...heck - the album has a different drummer to the one he tours with. But point taken - he sells himself as a band...

waltzing Meninga said:
The lyrics are nothing special but some of the music from 80's thrash bands is unbeleivable. Bands like testament, Iron Maiden, Metallica (ealry stuff) Megadeth etc were absolultley awesome musicians and their music arrangment and ideas were absolutley superb. The lyrics to the songs aren't generally of the same standard but still it doesn't take away from the fact that their musicianship is unrivalled to this day.

These guitar players and drummers would take 99% of bands these days to the cleaners there is no doubt about that.

Alot of people seem to forget that just because some guitarists can play faster, louder and write more complicated songs with big guitar solo's then say, Ben Lee, it doesn't necessarily make them better songwriters to the people who listen to the music. Some people prefer simple songs with a two or three chords and a catchy chorus as opposed to somthing with an 8-minute long guitar solo and some thrashy guitar riffs. It all depends on who's listening to it - Ben Lee may be wussy, wirte songs about love and win awards, but that doesn't mean he's a bad songwriter or musician - some people just prefer his type of music to other types.

HevyDevy

Coach
You're right - it's just coincidence that Ben Lee happens to be crap :lol:

But yes I agree and even though people on here know my love of the Steve Vais and Eddie Van Halens of this world, I don't need virtuoso in my music. What I do look for is more complicated song arrangements. I don't want to hear an album full of four minute songs in 4/4 with verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, chorus.

The fact is that most popular or mainstream bands stick fairly closely to this formula and I find it extremely dull.

carcharias

Immortal
I loved the footage of when BL won one of his awards.
They quickly shot a pic of Bernard Fanning laughing and clapping.

a couple of years ago after Ben Lee bagged out Silverchair (unprovoked).
Bernard Fanning called BL a precocious little merkin.

That comment got a fair bit of milage in te music press.

It was pretty funny stuff by the broadcasters.

sydraider

First Grade
HevyDevy said:
You're right - it's just coincidence that Ben Lee happens to be crap :lol:

But yes I agree and even though people on here know my love of the Steve Vais and Eddie Van Halens of this world, I don't need virtuoso in my music. What I do look for is more complicated song arrangements. I don't want to hear an album full of four minute songs in 4/4 with verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, chorus.

The fact is that most popular or mainstream bands stick fairly closely to this formula and I find it extremely dull.

Couldnt agree more!

iggy plop

First Grade
Frances the Mute said:
Maybe you should post some of your own lyrics on here for comparison?

"Ars tit titty ars tit tit ars ass wuppy whoppy big hairy breasts"

There's some lyrics that leave Brett Lee for dead.

It's not hard really. (sorry Ben Lee)

iggy plop said:
"Ars tit titty ars tit tit ars ass wuppy whoppy big hairy breasts"

There's some lyrics that leave Brett Lee for dead.

It's not hard really. (sorry Ben Lee)

:lol: I can't argue with that!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Have to agree about the prevailing comments about Ben Lee.

I was REALLY into the original music scene in SYdney in the early 90's.

I remember Ben Lee as a 15 y/o fronting his band, I think it was called "Gumption", they were a support act for Ratcat when they were the biggest act in Australia.

The thing that "made" Ben Lee was that Evan Dando from the Lemonheads took him under his wing, and Lee settled in New York.

It goes to show the hypocritical nature of the Australian music, scene, and you have to say many facets of Australian popular culture, such as comedy (Rove, Wil Anderson, etc).

All these industries are self-appointed little cliques. For Australian music, it's this little alterna-wank, drum media reading sycophants who will latch onto someone for their "coolness" factor, which Ben Lee picked up because he was a youngin' in the circle of the Kings of Alterna-wank such as Sonic Youth, Lemonheads.

I mean, other really LAME acts that made something such as something for kate, polyanna and ammonia.

I really wanted to play original music when i was a teen, then I saw the whole scene was posers who were more interested in making video clips that would be shown on Rage, than actually growing as musicians.

It seems once they get a major label album, have a bunch of promo shots where they sit inside bath-tubs and conduct sarcastic interviews on JJJ, they've made it as musicians.

Slappy

Juniors
Something for kate, now there is a band that really stunk!
They tried soooo hard!! Pretentious arseholes!!!

Here is an example of some of the worst lyrics ever written courtesy of Something for Kate's Monsters!

I was hanging upside down from the overpass
Waiting to discover something about the world
I couldn't get with the program
And I couldn't listen to them
It was like trying to think in reverse

what pretentious sh*t!!!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Well I've heard that from Sonic Youth fans who thought their cover of Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" was the greatest cover of all time.

Seriously, the chick (kim ?) is inside a karaoke booth and just slurs out the lyrics.

It's out of pitch, out of time, she forgets the words in a karaoke booth... Flynn from Australian Idol sounds better.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Calling someone or something "pretentious" is the most redundant, meaningless thing ever. It's criticism for when you can't think up a criticism.

Slappy

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Calling someone or something "pretentious" is the most redundant, meaningless thing ever. It's criticism for when you can't think up a criticism.

buddy you need to get in touch with your inner dictionary!

pre·ten·tious adj.
  1. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
  2. Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.
(from dictionary.com)

I think it was quite appropriately used, of course knowing what it means helps!

Slappy

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
Well I've heard that from Sonic Youth fans who thought their cover of Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" was the greatest cover of all time.

Seriously, the chick (kim ?) is inside a karaoke booth and just slurs out the lyrics.

It's out of pitch, out of time, she forgets the words in a karaoke booth... Flynn from Australian Idol sounds better.

Sonic Youth are one of the most influential musical acts to have come out of the States in the last 25 years. That cover was not one of their finer moments. Ciccone Youth, an offshoot of Sonic Youth covered Madonna's hit Into the groove, which I reckon was a damned fine cover. Sonic Youth were one of the original 'slacker' bands, so Kim Gordon slurring words and generally being wasted was part of the whole sonic youth image.

I never thought the 'Addicted To Love' cover was meant to be taken seriously. If you wanna hear them at their finest, go pick up a copy of 'Sister' or 'Daydream Nation'.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Slappy said:
buddy you need to get in touch with your inner dictionary!

pre·ten·tious adj.
  1. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
  2. Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.
(from dictionary.com)

I think it was quite appropriately used, of course knowing what it means helps!

I know what pretentious means.

What does that definition have to do with pseudo deep and meaningful lyrics? Being pretentious is about claiming superiority, and being "showy" as your definition shows. It hence barely makes sense as a critique of music or any art. It is more useful as a critique of image. Which of course has nothing to do with the actual art.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
I never thought the 'Addicted To Love' cover was meant to be taken seriously. If you wanna hear them at their finest, go pick up a copy of 'Sister' or 'Daydream Nation'.

Get Dirty, tis better. :D

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Bon Jovi appeal to the mainstream & metal scene.

Wrong!

PS: Ben Lee and Bon Jovi are both sh*t. Ben Lee moreso, however.

EDIT: Crap, didn't notice how long this thread was

Latest posts