What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross

Inferno

Coach
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...ocalsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

HE won the Sexiest Man in Rugby League title last year and appears naked but for a few strategically-placed branches in a 2007 calendar which raises money for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

It’s safe to say former Nambour Crusher Ben Ross is pretty comfortable in front of a camera.

But during his six-month rehabilitation from a total knee reconstruction in April, Ross got behind the lens instead of in front of it.

The 25-year-old State of Origin star scored some work as a photographer for Fast Fours magazine, a publication that combines most males’ two great passions – fast cars and scantily-clad young women.

“I was lucky enough to get a bit of work at Fast Fours, taking photos of cars and girls, stuff like that,” Ross said. “I’ve always had an interest in photography, I was just lucky enough I had a mate working at the magazine and they gave me an opportunity and it was a chance I took with both hands.”

The work as a photographer was a saviour for Ross, who admits the countless hours spent training in solitude were difficult.

Ross trained by himself for most of his gruelling and painstaking recovery from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, sustained tackling former team-mate Joel Clinton in the Cronulla Sharks’ round-eight clash with Penrith.

But the lonely road to recovery has finally ended for Ross. Last week he started 2007 pre-season training with his Sharks team-mates and he can’t wait to rip and tear in 2007.

While most players hate the tedium and gut-busting sessions during pre-season, for Ross it is “exciting”.
It means he’s back.

“I’m back into full training,” he said.
“But I’m just a bit slower on the agility things. I have to take my time getting that stuff back.”

Ross dropped four kilograms from his frame during the recovery period and now tips the scales at 110kg, which he hopes will make him more mobile next season.

The 25-year-old had his first run on Monday and said his knee pulled up better than expected.

“It is a relief to get back into it,” he said.
“I didn’t think my knee would be this good so quickly.
“Last week all we did was the rowers and bikes.
“Monday was the first day of running and it pulled up perfect, I do a fair bit of exercise on it every day and it normally swells up.
“But it hasn’t swollen at all, so I’m pretty happy.”

Ross admits there were some pretty dark moments throughout the arduous rehabilitation.

“You get very depressed,” he said.
“Football is taken away from you.
“Having to lie in bed for weeks and having to train by yourself, you do get down.
“You don’t know what to do with yourself.
“You don’t feel part of the team at all when you’re injured.
“It’s hard, you go to watch the game and it feels like you’re watching another team running around, even though they’re your close mates.
“You’re out of the loop. Whether they win or lose is up to them. You’ve got nothing to do with it at all.”

Getting back into full training is not the only reason Ross is excited.

The arrival of new coach Ricky Stuart and Queensland recruits Josh Hannay and Brett Seymour have also given the State of Origin prop reason to look forward to 2007.

“Ricky will play me the way he wants a front rower to play for Australia,” Ross said.

“So I suppose it gives me a bit of a boost for making those kind of rep squads ... it gives me a bit more incentive to perform and impress on any occasion.”

Only just starting to run now? I guess that talk about him making a recovery in time for the finals was a load of crap. Frenzy, or any of the other resident medicos, what was his injury exactly and why did it take so long?

Fingers crossed he has a great off season, and rips in next year to make up for lost time. Time to start earning your keep Benny boy.

Thomo.

First Grade
he said it was taking a while to recover from.

he was surprised by it and frustrated. that was around the last few rounds when i spoke to him

Special K

Coach
He was more then earning his pay before injury. If he was a back i'd be worried but he is a prop so he should be alright.

f**k someone has to take out that twig clinton.

Knees are f**ked. I did my medial playing oz tag this time last year and it is still not right despite being told it would heal in 8 weeks. Hate to think what it would be like to do an ACL.

Booyah

Bench
His injury was a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) which is one of the main stabilising ligaments that holds your Femur (thigh) and Tibia/Fibula (Shin) together. Without it, all he could have done is run in a straight line.

When he said 'first run' I'd assume he meant 'training run' which would have had pivoting, sudden stopping, agility and lateral movement etc. He would have been back running in a straight line about 12-14 weeks after he had the surgery but wouldn't have been allowed to start doing anything else because it takes at least 6 months for the new graft to properly revascularise and fixate itself to the bones.

It's a pretty serious injury if you're a professional athlete.

jc155776

Coach
Best thing with Ross is he seems like a vain bugger.

Means he's gonna care about his training, diet, fitness etc.

Looked damn fit on those nude photos posted on here. A year off with a knee injury and I would have expected him to be looking a bit worse for wear.

Booyah

Bench
NthCronullaLocal said:
Knees are f**ked. I did my medial playing oz tag this time last year and it is still not right despite being told it would heal in 8 weeks. Hate to think what it would be like to do an ACL.

Mate it's the most putrid f*cking thing you can do to yourself. It doesn't really hurt and you think it's sweet but the moment you try and do something on it, you just can't do it. It will just give way on you and you'll end up rolling around in pain on the floor.

Worst injury ever.

spider

Coach
jc155776 said:
Best thing with Ross is he seems like a vain bugger.

Means he's gonna care about his training, diet, fitness etc.

Looked damn fit on those nude photos posted on here. A year off with a knee injury and I would have expected him to be looking a bit worse for wear.

Ok JC - i know the off season is upon us, but dude!!!

jc155776

Coach
Booyah said:
Mate it's the most putrid f*cking thing you can do to yourself. It doesn't really hurt and you think it's sweet but the moment you try and do something on it, you just can't do it. It will just give way on you and you'll end up rolling around in pain on the floor.

Worst injury ever.

I partly tore mine at a a state rugby comp once. Thing was pretty f**ked but I was stupid and played 2 more days of football.

Ended up tearing it all the way in the final game and couldnt do a thing. 9 months later was playing soccer and it just randomly gave out. Kinda like it went numb and just went. Not fun.

jc155776

Coach
SpiderShark said:
Ok JC - i know the off season is upon us, but dude!!!

Hahaha. I am comfortable enough with my sexuality to feel fine commenting on other men. You sexy beast you.

Booyah

Bench
jc155776 said:
I partly tore mine at a a state rugby comp once. Thing was pretty f**ked but I was stupid and played 2 more days of football.

Ended up tearing it all the way in the final game and couldnt do a thing. 9 months later was playing soccer and it just randomly gave out. Kinda like it went numb and just went. Not fun.

Mine is torn about 3/4 of the way through. Not enough for it to give way on me randomly, but enough to stop me playing football. Thought I'd be a clever clogs and hit the weights for 6 months to build it up for xtra stability and then play; Bzzzzt - Not happening.

Now I have a nice little operation to look forward to in a few weeks and another year of not being able to play footy. Lucky me.

Dave Q

Coach
I dont think he will ever live up to the promise that he showed at the Panthers. I'd be offloading him. He's got an unlucky way about him.

I'd be after Scott Geddes from Souths-a guy who takes on the entire Panther Pack and rips them to shreds like paper. He's still largely unkown too.

Ross met the Panthers and was out for the season.

The sharks are building a serious gf winning side, theres no room at the inn for question marks or players who may or may not return to their best.

Ricky is cut-throat. Death is preferable to losing. He really wants a results at the sharks and he's not going to wait around for the likes of Ross or anybody who is not with the program.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Dave Q said:
I dont think he will ever live up to the promise that he showed at the Panthers. I'd be offloading him. He's got an unlucky way about him.

I'd be after Scott Geddes from Souths-a guy who takes on the entire Panther Pack and rips them to shreds like paper. He's still largely unkown too.

Ross met the Panthers and was out for the season.

The sharks are building a serious gf winning side, theres no room at the inn for question marks or players who may or may not return to their best.

Ricky is cut-throat. Death is preferable to losing. He really wants a results at the sharks and he's not going to wait around for the likes of Ross or anybody who is not with the program.

Scott Geddes luckier than Ben Ross? Isnt he the bloke that got written off in the preseason two years in a row for lengthy parts of the year?

Er No Thanks. Geddes obviously ran over a black cat holding a mirror while driving under a ladder. Not Interested.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Booyah said:
His injury was a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) which is one of the main stabilising ligaments that holds your Femur (thigh) and Tibia/Fibula (Shin) together. Without it, all he could have done is run in a straight line.

When he said 'first run' I'd assume he meant 'training run' which would have had pivoting, sudden stopping, agility and lateral movement etc. He would have been back running in a straight line about 12-14 weeks after he had the surgery but wouldn't have been allowed to start doing anything else because it takes at least 6 months for the new graft to properly revascularise and fixate itself to the bones.

It's a pretty serious injury if you're a professional athlete.

Good answer boo. Just for people's info the word cruciate comes from the Latin for cross. We have 2 cruciates, the anterior and posterior that are contained in the knee capsule joining the femur and the tibia in a crossed fashion from back to front and front to back and the function is to provide rotational stabilty to a knee.

scoi-knee-main.jpg

Ross had a grade III tear, that's a complete rupture. Caine is far worse and has grade III ruptures of ACL, PCL and medial I am led to believe. Won't swear to it but wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

Booyah sounds like he has a grade II which is more than half torn, That leaves grade I which is a minimal tear involving less than half the lig.

Grades II and III may as well be the same thing anyway.

Booyah said:
Mine is torn about 3/4 of the way through. Not enough for it to give way on me randomly, but enough to stop me playing football. Thought I'd be a clever clogs and hit the weights for 6 months to build it up for xtra stability and then play; Bzzzzt - Not happening.

Ray Price got away with that Boo. Hate to see a film of his knee now though.

carcharias

Immortal
youse are all soft.
My kid just had an op on his nuts including his snake eye.

He hasn't complained once...just got on with turding in his nappy and trying to break stuff.

WILLYSCOTT

Juniors
Ben Ross's Knee was sore most of last year.

My sources say he will play a part in 2007.

He didnt get to play much of 2006 however. Injury at Penrith ive heard.

givmeabeer

Juniors
I go out to Wanda sandhills every saturday morning 8am (not this weekend though) I go to Qld 2nite for Chris Beatties wedding.. Benny is out there Stevo too saw Nick graham the other day