What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross

Inferno

Coach
Not that I blame him, but I don't think this attitude is going to win him any new friends.

The bitterness over Willie Mason's split with the Bulldogs has spread to Cronulla, with Ben Ross, one of the pieces in the jigsaw puzzle the drama has become, yesterday calling his club's treatment of him "low".

The Sharks' hopes of snaring Mason, given permission to negotiate with other clubs on Wednesday, appear to hinge on whether Ross switches to English club Hull. The Sharks have made no secret of their desire to offload Ross in order to land Mason, which has attracted a fiery response from the former Penrith player.

"If Cronulla are trying to get rid of me for Willie Mason, that's pretty low that they haven't even told me," Ross, who was informed by coach Ricky Stuart last season that he could leave the club, told the Herald. "If they really want to get rid of me, they should let me know straight up."

Ross, a former Queensland State of Origin prop who was brought to Cronulla from Penrith in 2006 for about $400,000, admitted the speculation about his future had been "getting me down a bit".

Ross, centre Josh Hannay and halfback Brett Seymour were told in mid 2007 they could look elsewhere. So far, however, the 27-year-old Ross has stood firm - but he admits he could leave the club because of Stuart's attitude.

"It is getting me down a bit," he said. "It was hard enough last year with Ricky saying he didn't want me. Now it's all starting to happen again. It makes life hard. If you're playing under a coach that doesn't want you, how are you supposed to produce your best form? It does get to you.

"You try to respect them, but you don't know if that respect's coming back to you. If it stays around all of next year, it's going to be another sh*t year, isn't it?"

Ross said he was prepared to head overseas if necessary. The chances of that happening, however, are dimming. Hull have apparently gone a little cool on the idea of signing Ross, and are now focusing their attention on South Sydney co-captain Peter Cusack, adding another twist to the Mason tale.

Cusack met Hull coach Peter Sharp during his trip to Sydney this week and is understood to be seriously considering moving to the UK a year ahead of his Rabbitohs contract running out.

It is understood Souths are prepared to allow Cusack to break his contract because of the service he has given to the club.

Where that leaves Ross is unclear. But he has asked his manager, George Mimis, not to inform him about the behind-the-scenes machinations.

"I haven't really wanted to know about it because I don't want the sleepless nights," he said, describing his current mindset as "business as usual". "My life's here at Cronulla, but, like anyone I guess, if the price is right, I'll have to go."

David Shillington, another piece in the Mason jigsaw puzzle, feels the same. He, along with fellow forward Ashley Harrison, form the key to the Sydney Roosters' hopes of securing Mason's signature.

"The club hasn't said anything to me, but if that changes … you just have to go," said the 24-year-old, who has been touted as part of a straight swap with Mason, which is still the most likely scenario.

"You just have to take the option if it's out there. I've been at the Roosters for my whole career and I love the club.

"I was really looking forward to getting coached by Freddie [Fittler], but if you're not wanted by a club, you'd go.

"I spoke to Freddie a couple of days ago, just because I knew that if Willie comes, that means him and Mark O'Meley.

"I knew that's two Test front-rowers, and I wanted to know where I stood. But he said he sees Willie as a wide-running back-rower."

So where does that leave Harrison, another back-rower?

"I'm more than happy where I am, to be honest," Harrison said.

"I know it's a business, but I haven't heard anything. I know the Roosters are a solid join. If there's anything going on, they'll tell me."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...spinning/2007/11/08/1194329413885.html?page=2

Quigs

Immortal
Hey, just put yourself in Ross's shoes.

I would feel like sh!t too.

If Ben is still with us in 08 I hope he plays the house down and belts a few along the way.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

samshark

Juniors
Cant blame Ross and I dont find anything wrong with what he said.
The guys done nothing wrong and obvioulsy wants to play at the club.
Does seem a bit harsh, Stuart's attitude towards him.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well lets hope Frank sets a correctional course on this one.
Ricky blowing up that ross is chewing up on 400k per year.
and then Stuart goes & signs Kimmorley, a 30 year old hak, on 200-300k!!!
If kimmorleys wage is the cost of consistent premier league efforts, then the club gets excellent value out of the extra $100k for Ross who is one of our best week in & week out.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Qld-Sharkie said:
Has Ross earnt his $400,000 over the past year???
Has Mimi earnt his 650k over the last 2 years?
Will locky earn his 500k this year?
Will Benji ever earn or has he earned his money?
Has Williams earnt his 500k in any year ever?

samshark

Juniors
Qld-Sharkie said:
Has Ross earnt his $400,000 over the past year???

As long as he goes out and plays to the best of his ability each week that is all we should expect. And from watching him last year I think he did that. He shouldnt have extra pressure placed on him because he is on $400k. Not his fault our club was dumb enough to pay that much. Well done to his manager for getting such a good deal.

SharkShocked

Bench
Are you guys kidding?

Stuart has told him last year he's not wanted and now the bloke is complaining when we are trying to offload him to find a player that we do want.

How can he justify the statement that the club hasn't told him direct that they don't want him when it was made clear to him last year?

Fair enough for Ross to take a hardline stance and hold Cronulla to his contract, but he has to understand that the club doesn't want him their position has changed and that he will have to play under those circumstances if he wishes to earn the coin that he was promised.

It seems to me as if the guy just wants to be seen in the public eye.

Quigs

Immortal
You're joking I hope sharkshocked.

The poor guys training for 08. As far as he is concerned he is STILL part of the club.

The fact that when every class forward comes on the market suddenly then his name automatically appears in dispatches as the one to go has to be of concern to him, his teammates and particularly to his confidence and enthusiasm.

I think Ross's case is a lot differnt to the "well I guess we have to resign" Kimmorley episode. Whether 'we' like it or not 'we' chased Ross and got him. I think we'd all be laughing now if it wasnt for the serious knee injury that cut him down. Maybe Willie would not be even entering the equation - who knows.

But all I know is that I would be pissed off too.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Inferno

Coach
samshark said:
As long as he goes out and plays to the best of his ability each week that is all we should expect. And from watching him last year I think he did that. He shouldnt have extra pressure placed on him because he is on $400k. Not his fault our club was dumb enough to pay that much. Well done to his manager for getting such a good deal.

Fair point sam, I'm not a massive Ross fan, but I certainly don't hold it against him for getting such a good deal.

Pretty low act as well if the club is shopping him around without telling him, but similar to Hannay, he can always dig his heels in and refuse to go anywhere if he doesn't get what he wants.

RgSharks

Juniors
This was very poorly handled by the club. This hardly makes our club more attractive to would be future signings.

SharkShocked

Bench
He has the right to be annoyed, of course. He was chased after signed and now is not wanted, any player in his position would have their confidence knocked out of them.

But he cannot seriously say that Cronulla needs to tell him straight up.

Stuart made his position quite clear at the end of the year that he was not wanted. He knows that he is STILL part of a club that does not want him.

Coming out in the media and crying about it when he is already 100% aware of the fact is surely not the right move for someone in his position.

It's not that im against him as a player, i believe there are better forwards out there that we should be spending our money on and Mason is certainly one of them.

If you look at the situation from Stuart's point of view, he has one forward on a large amount of money that he feels is unwarranted and he's doing everything he can to sign a forward that he believes would be warranted. That being the situation, of course Ross's name is going to be thrown around every time a class forward is on the market, it's something that he has to live with if he's going to make the tough decision to play with a team that doesn't want him.

Quigs

Immortal
carinashark said:
Ok . I will ask the obvious question . Why dont we want Ben Ross?

I don't mind him at all... the only problem I have is tha amount of whoppy he is on.

But that is out of my hands.

I honestly believe if it wasn't for his serious knee injury then we would all be in here praising him.

I hope he kicks a lot of arse next season.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

gunnamatta bay

Referee
and his girlfriend has shares in a nulla chemist shop so I doubt she would be able to pull up stumps and move to the old dart

DJDL

Bench
You got it Quigs.
He has had 2 seasons hampered by injury. Prior to that injury he was looking real good, and definitely looked a more than suitable replacement for Stevo.

It's taking him a while to work back to that form, but I think we saw him working towards it thoughout the course of this season.

I'd would much prefer to keep Ross AND Mason, if we could manage it.
If Ross manages to stay injjury free I think he could be in for a big year. And I think Mason is far more effective playing in the backrow than the front row.

Quigs

Immortal
And if ever a club has a candidate to be the first one mentioned when it comes to freeing up some of that clubs cash then it should be that bloke that was wearing our #7 for the past four or five seasons.

thirty bloody one years old and we resign him for another TWO FARKIN' YEARS ...

what future does he offer us for $250,000.00 --> $300,000.00 a season....

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
samshark said:

Sam your right, the club was stupid enough to pay that price then Ross isnt going to argue. All he can do is turn up and play his best, and dont get me wrong I dont mind Ross but Iam comparing his impact in a game to the likes of Bird and Gallen who are on less money...
What I am trying to get at is maybe Ricky wants more bag for his buck.

Ross did have some good games until injury and the mumps stuffed it up... Instead of doing it the Hannay way and bitchin about not being wanted, he should do it the Seymour way... and let his game change Ricky's mind.

I wish the big fella the best, come out this year and have a blinder...SOO, test selection ...and sh*t all over Mason, who obviously see's us as a backup if the Rorters deal falls through. We dont want that.... Ross wants to play for the Sharks, Willie doesnt.

Latest posts