What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross

dice

Juniors
From the official NRL site (http://www.nrl.com.au/season2004/judiciary.cfm?RoundID=53&PlayerID=708):

Ross sidelined 'til grand final

Penrith's Ben Ross will miss the next nine matches after being found guilty on a second charge at the NRL judiciary tonight.

Ross was first penalised 630 points for a grade three dangerous throw (downgraded from a grade four).

He was later convicted of a grade two striking charge which incurred a further penalty of 337points.

In both cases Ross had first pleaded not guilty to the original charge and then disputed the grading after that point.

His total demerit points for the evening are 967 equating to a nine week suspension with 67carry-over points.

Further down the page for the same week:
Preliminary judiciary results
The Roosters' Adrian Morley and the Panthers' Joel Clinton are the only two players charged in round 19 to make early guilty pleas for their offences.

Morley will be sidelined for two matches for a grade one careless high tackle, while Clinton will miss one match for his part in a lifting tackle on Jason Croker.

His teammate Ben Ross has pled not guilty for his part in the tackle and for a grade two striking charge. He will face the NRL judiciary tomorrow night to contest the charges.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Well it is my ignorance, I thought he got 9 weeks by taking the early plea where in fact he challenged (still under hall's advise) and got 9 weeks anyway.

His participation in the tackle did not deserve a Grade 4 to begin with to be downgraded to a Grade 3. He was dealt harshly even with having former judiciary Jim Hall representing him. You can't say he was a victim of panthers ignorance when they went to that length. He was a victim of inconsistancy with the current Judiciary system.

dice

Juniors
I thought it was the Panthers but if you say they were advised by Jim Hall then fair enough. Either way the wrong option was taken ultimately costing Ben Ross an extra two weeks.

IMO, Jim Hall is an idiot. There is no way in the world Ben Ross was going to totally avoid suspension.

*Sandy*

First Grade
He was not only advised but represented by Jim Hall and so was Clinton.

I don't think anyone has even hinted or suggested that Ross should have avoided suspension. The question that is hanging above us all is why are players treated differently in regards to grading and match bans? Why did Finch get a lesser grade to Ross? Why does Ricketson get pushed aside when he head slammed? Why did Price get let off when he striked another player?

dice

Juniors
PK, Ricketson got off on a technicality in wording of the charges. Something to do with his hand placement on the players chest. They didn't even bother to charge him as they knew they couldn't make it stick. You will find they will change the wording for next year. I know it is too little too late but what can you do. Ricketson dodged a bullet.

Finch's tackle was nothing like Ross' tackle. If you can't see the differences in hand placement, tackling style, Monaghan and Schifcofske's involvement in the tackle, etc, then no point discussing it.

I didn't see the Price incident so can't comment.

Big Mick

Referee
The only reason Finch's tackle didn't look as bad, is because it was just him, whereas it was ross and clinton in the other.

Big Artie

Juniors
U didnt have 2 b a rocket scientist to realise that the rooster boys would not be suspended, there is always 2 sets of rules, I feel sorry 4 rossie, & the raider boys who copped it on the chin from incidents within the same game, good sportsmanship no longer exists. Actually I am glad in a way the roosters have all personel available because there will b no excuses, come grand final day if they get that far, mentally they r not tuff enough to compete wif penrith in the big games

*Sandy*

First Grade
You believe what you want to believe Dice - and don't even bother trying to convince us through your biast eyesight. :roll:

What have you done to Fibro, Artie? Haven't seen him post here for awhile.