What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Sammut Retires

otag

Juniors
what years did he play for the sharks? what standard was he?

I found this on the maltese rl site.

ben_sammut_hull.jpg
Old Shark Bids Good Knight
</STRONG>16 Jan 2007
Possessing a throng of rugby league knowledge combined with weary old legs slowing you down across the park, Maltese skipper Ben Sammut has vowed that Coffs Harbour will play host to his last games of rugby league in Australia.

“Coffs has definitely been good to me” says Sammut.

Bearing 88 games in the NRL for the Cronulla Sharks and another 64 duels in the English Super League, the back-to-back Orara Valley Sevens Player of the Tournament will bring down the curtain to his international playing career in Australia when Malta take on Japan at the BCU International Stadium.

Merging onto the wrong side of thirty, Sammut says the quality of young Maltese rugby league players coming through the ranks is “the key to our (Malta’s) future and I don’t want to feel like I am holding them back.”

The decision was a tough one.

“I’ve spoken with Joe Grima about this issue and we have decided that this will be my last game (v. Japan, January 25) in Australia and I will finish off my playing career in Malta in October”

“The old legs are unfortunately near the end” he admits.

“I’m not as quick as I once was, and even though you make up for this with the experience, I am finding it incredibly frustrating at not being able to contribute the way I should”

But it doesn’t mean the sterling five-eighth won’t be back in Maltese colours.

“I want to help the younger generation of Maltese Knights in some other way off the field and continue to build the fantastic team spirit and mateship we have created in such a short space of time”

After skippering the Maltese outfit in four of their international outings since their emergence on the international rugby league scene, Ben goes into the battle against the Japanese Samurais with a wealth of experience compared to even his youthful chargers beside him – let alone the Japanese opposition.

Ben knows better than to judge a team on such merits as it’s number twenty-eight ranking by the Rugby League International Federation.

“Japan have always provided entertainment whether it is in the full version of the game or in ‘sevens’ football”

“You can’t read into the rankings” argues Sammut.

The Maltese are keen to erase memories of their October loss to Lebanon prior to their Rugby League World Cup Qualifying commitments; however ‘Captain Malta’ strongly feels another likely meeting in Coffs Harbour will permit a differing result.

“Lebanon was a disappointing game for us”

“We unfortunately just let ourselves down in some key areas…the team knows we could have come away with victory”

“As a team we feel that our next meeting will provide a different outcome” he maintains.

Arriving in Coffs Harbour in a morsel over seven days, the Maltese squad that the skipper has to work with is one of the strongest since their inception.

“Our entire squad is made up of some unbelievable attacking players” says Ben as he rattles of a list of names to look out for including Jarrod Sammut, Ryan Borg and Johnny and Simon Micallef.

But with a sturdy base of flying outside backs comes with keeping an eye on the unsung heroes of the team.

“Rugged forward Brad Clews and the skilful Willie Grech”, Sammut says are two of the many players to look out for in a list that is fundamentally endless.

The international friendly against Japan opens the doors to four debutants.

“These younger guys are the key to our future and I don’t want to feel like I am holding them back”

Modesty is one of Sammut’s playing attributes but the player voted as the best on field at both previous editions of the Orara Valley Sevens is adamant the Maltese can go further in open-handedly giving the Sevens prize money a shake.

And the precariousness of Sevens rugby league doesn’t faze Sammut.

“We clearly feel we can win the tournament – as I’m sure all sides do”

“Sevens is so unpredictable…if we can improve on our third place from last year, I think we’ll all be happy”

Malta played in the first rugby league match on Maltese soil sixteen months ago where ex Penrith Panther Anthony Xuereb called it a day at the Marsa Stadium and Sammut – who played against Xuereb in the mid nineties, eyes a similar farewell.

A grand finale in his ancestral homeland will be the culmination but not before his final return to Australia’s east coast city for the Sevens tournament that he could call his own bar no team silverware to yet show for it.

“The Player of the Tournament award embarrasses me a little. Rugby League is still a team game and I’m so lucky to be playing with such an outstanding group of men”

“The quality of our players and the brand of football we play draws attention to our organisation”

Picture shows Ben Sammut in his Hull days.

carcharias

Immortal
Ah yes Ben Sammut now there's a good Maltese name.

I think he was second fiddle to Paul Green and or Mitch Healy.

Started about the same time as Peachey I think. I remember the two of them fighting it out for fullback for a while.

Fin077

Juniors
Hmmm yeah....Early 90's from memory, sort of a fringe first grader. I only ever remember him being a fullback though - not 5/8 or half.

Did he have an ankle injury or some lower leg problem??

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
he played a fair bit over a few seasons actually under Langy.
Played a few positions from memory, winger, 2nd Row, benchy etc.

coolumsharkie

Referee
He had one good season from what I recall in FG at fullback but the talent coming through the ranks sort of edged him out. Or he just dropped in form.. either way he had a good stint in England so all was not lost.

carcharias

Immortal
ah yes
He played f/back while Peach was out injured.
Other than that he was as reefy said benchy etc.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I think you'll find Carch that he played fullback prior to Peach making the grade. I think Peachey had a run on the wing and got injured in one of his first FG games. Running like lightening down the NW corner got tackled and fell awkwardly. I was at that game.

Anyone?

otag

Juniors
carcharias said:
Ah yes Ben Sammut now there's a good Maltese name.

not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but sammut seems to be a popular name. theres another 2 sammut's in the squad for their match against japan.

otag

Juniors
thanks all.

so as it turns out, he wasnt much more than a benchy. but then again, 88 games as benchy is a fair go.

carcharias

Immortal
otag said:
not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but sammut seems to be a popular name. theres another 2 sammut's in the squad for their match against japan.
no sarcasm
It is definitely a Maltese name.

It is very common.
I grew up next door to some "Sammuts" who were from Malta as well.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
ahhh gotta love the Maltese! If only other migrants could take a leaf out of these guys books! They live like aussies and i know a fair few that surf down the bra!

And yes sammut is very much maltese but i tend to see a heap more Zammits getting around! Just like galea and vella i suppose!

gavin_miller

Juniors
I'm pretty sure Ben Sammut was our no.1 fullback when the Peach was still in thirds...Sammut had some major injury, Peach was put there and killed it and then Sammut was our no.2 fullback (hence wing/sub) from there on ... im a little hazy on that early Lang era but I think thats how it went.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Snoop Shark said:
ahhh gotta love the Maltese! If only other migrants could take a leaf out of these guys books! They live like aussies and i know a fair few that surf down the bra!

And yes sammut is very much maltese but i tend to see a heap more Zammits getting around! Just like galea and vella i suppose!

Yeah second only to the Mafia as an organised crime unit. We sure do need more of that.

Scotty

Juniors
I seem to remember him playing in the semis in the mid 90's. It was a close game and he went for a drop goal from about 35-40 out and it missed by less then a coat of paint. We lost the game by a point and we were out for another year

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Frenzy. said:
Yeah second only to the Mafia as an organised crime unit. We sure do need more of that.

A 1 man mafia hey frenz??? :lol: Ive heard it all! That'll do me! Are u seriously stereotyping ALL maltese people because of percy(i assume)??? Get off the smack old man! that really shows your arrogance and racist thoughts you low life!

Watch out for that red neck old mate! A bigger cancer then yourself might appear!

Latest posts