What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bench tactics

Interesting that both games last weekend utilised limited bench interchanges. Flanno only injecting Capewell and Beale once we had the game won in the final 10 mins and Bellamy not even giving #17 any time at all.

Thoughts?

millersnose

Post Whore
Neither coaches had tonnes of talent on the bench in my view
If they had the Cowboys or the Brisbane or the Canberra bench I recon they would have used it
Bakuya and heighno were really it for flanno

Weaponhead

Coach
Neither coaches had tonnes of talent on the bench in my view
If they had the Cowboys or the Brisbane or the Canberra bench I recon they would have used it
Bakuya and heighno were really it for flanno

Agree. Flano trusts Heino and Bakuya to do the job.

Beale is insurance for an outside back injury or a tactical switch of Bird to lock if chasing points.

Capewell is a rookie at this level despite an excellent game against Canberra.

Taga will be picked if Flano wants to ease minutes for Prior or Fifita. Not that either have shown they need it.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I can see sense in that. If Taga can play 20 and give Feefs and Prior bench time It makes those 2 better for the home straight.

The more I look at it the less I want Capewell in based really only on potential. He's got loads of that but can be seen as a risk in GF. It's not like there aren't options and he needs to play

Last edited:
Where exactly do people feel Capewell fits in to the game plan against the Storm at the moment?

Storm don't give you much in defence.

If we were playing Canberra that's a different story. Canberra will give you opportunties to exploit. As Capwell did in the first final.

Capewell as good as he has been going and definitely has growth potential has some errors in him and looseness in his play. He has also been caught out rushing from the line a bit and leaving space either side of him that Hodgson exploited in the first final for a try.

Beale gives us insurance if someone in the backline goes down.

Hino works the middle.

Bukuya does what Capewell can do but with a bit more muscle and experience.

Taga if he's fit to play gives us some punch with the ball and a big body to handle some of the Melbourne boppers.

For mine if Taga can give us 20 to 25 minutes of impact and real prop rotation then I think it's Capewell that misses out.

Genius Freak

Juniors
I'm a little torn here. I don't trust Taga 100% to hold the ball in crucial moments, and don't think he offers much more than the occasional good run.

Capewell showed promise vs Canberra, but he is a HUGE risk to play in a grand final in that he will be targeted constantly in defence by experienced operators in Smith and Cronk.

The Telegraph today billed this as 'Origin 4', so I wonder if we can borrow Woods and Cordner...

Agree. Flano trusts Heino and Bakuya to do the job.

Beale is insurance for an outside back injury or a tactical switch of Bird to lock if chasing points.

Capewell is a rookie at this level despite an excellent game against Canberra.

Taga will be picked if Flano wants to ease minutes for Prior or Fifita. Not that either have shown they need it.

Shit I should've just liked this post.

Exactly what I think.

Inferno

Coach
If Taga had been killing it before he got injured that would be one thing but he's had 2 or 3 average games for every good one this year. And is totally underdone.

Definitely a selection headache

shaggs

Coach
Everyone was ripping in so well and didn't look tired so need to bring anyone else on I think.

GF will be the same.

Our forwards are very very fit.
Why do you need to use the bench like everyone else.
Our forwards are fit as, even the props.

shaggs

Coach
I'm a little torn here. I don't trust Taga 100% to hold the ball in crucial moments, and don't think he offers much more than the occasional good run.

Capewell showed promise vs Canberra, but he is a HUGE risk to play in a grand final in that he will be targeted constantly in defence by experienced operators in Smith and Cronk.

The Telegraph today billed this as 'Origin 4', so I wonder if we can borrow Woods and Cordner...
Can't we borrow someone good ??

Frenzy.

Immortal
Ill just quote myself to save writing it again

It's going to be a Flanagan picked side.

Incumbency, experience, low risk, loyalty will all count loads in the selections

Taga - 151 NRL games - International - Established Shark
Paulo - 136 NRL games - International -Established Shark
Beale - 146 NRL games - International - Established Shark
Capewell - 156 NRL minutes - rookie - Rookie Shark

I can see KC missing out easily

shaggs

Coach
Bench of
Bakuya
Highno
Beale
Taga

I do like cape well and in he next year he will really come along, but as frenzy says, flanno goes with incumbents

The other advantage in selecting Beale (ahead of Capewell if Taga plays) is that he has been with the team all year so his inclusion should promote team harmony/avoid unnecessary disruption. Team spirit and momentum means so much to take into a GF. Mainly for this reason I've jumped the fence back from Camp KC to Team Beale.

Last edited:
Yep we have the luxury of Beale on the bench because of the endurance level of our forwards.

Trust me much better to have your best players out on the field who know Melbourne's tactics back to front than a noob who could cost the team with over enthusiasm by rushing out of the line or pushing a pass.

And I say noob in the most respectful way that he hasn't played half a dozen games in first grade.

He's very green and this is the biggest stage.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Yep we have the luxury of Beale on the bench because of the endurance level of our forwards.

Trust me much better to have your best players out on the field who know Melbourne's tactics back to front than a noob who could cost the team with over enthusiasm by rushing out of the line or pushing a pass.

And I say noob in the most respectful way that he hasn't played half a dozen games in first grade.

He's very green and this is the biggest stage.

I reckon this is in the back of flannos mind. He only gave kc 12 minutes last game which might suggest he doesnt fully trust him.

Card Shark

Immortal
Considering Taga will only get 15 or 20 mins, he can fill the bench spot adequately.

Just don't drop the f**king pill!

Latest posts