What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett calls for Norm Provan to be the next immortal.

Gareth67

First Grade
IMG_1301.JPG The maestro himself , Wayne Bennett is pushing for our great Norm Provan to be the next immortal . I believe , as many others , that it should had been done years ago and as Wayne himself mentioned , Provan is the epitome of what is great in the game of Rugby League - 10 premierships , international and coach and a gentleman.

As much as , imo , Darren Locheyer or Mal Meninga also deserve a spot , they will need to wait a bit longer so as our own champion Saint receives the honour that he so richly deserves.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
A record second to none and if we had of played the number of games and test matches we do today back then "Sticks' record would be even more imposing.
IMO next 2 immortals without a doubt should be N. Provan, K Irvine.
Irvine's record is so great that the so called superstars of today still can't catch him despite in some cases playing almost 100 games more than him.
The game of RL was made great by these 2 giants of the game.

sco22

Juniors
A record second to none and if we had of played the number of games and test matches we do today back then "Sticks' record would be even more imposing.
IMO next 2 immortals without a doubt should be N. Provan, K Irvine.
Irvine's record is so great that the so called superstars of today still can't catch him despite in some cases playing almost 100 games more than him.
The game of RL was made great by these 2 giants of the game.
Agreed Whole heartily with you on those 2 Legends

Frank Facer

First Grade
I never saw Proven play, so I can't comment on him.

From the players who I saw play, I think Peter Sterling or Brett Kenny should be inducted as the next immortals.

Brett Kenny was 5/8 for Australia on the 1982 Kangaroo tour keeping vice captain and immortal Wally Lewis out of the team. On the 1986 Kangaroo tour, Wally Lewis was captain and 5/8. Brett Kenny was that good a player that they had to find a spot for him in the Australian team, so they played him centre, thus keeping Mal Meninga on the bench. Gene Miles was Kenny's centre partner, so Miles was also rated better than Meninga on that tour. Meninga gets touted as a future immortal quite often. In the 1985 Challenge Cup Final of Wigan vs Hull, Kenny had a blinder and was named man of the match. In that game the old English commentator said about Kenny. You will never see a better stand off (5/8) in this country and that's if you've ever seen one. When Kenny played 5/8 for NSW against Lewis I read that NSW won 8 games to QLD 4. Even Lewis said that Kenny was his greatest opponent. I think Kenny scored doubles in all of Parramatta's premiership wins of 81, 82 and 83.

I rate Kenny the best 5/8 I have seen and obviously better than the immortal Wally Lewis, who I have a very high opinion of too.

Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns and Thurston are the 3 best halfbacks I have seen. Sterling was the best general I have seen play the game. Thurston is a definite future immortal and Sterling should be named one too.

Sterling and Kenny are the best pair of halves I have seen. It was a shame that NSW selectors have been so pathetic for so long. Sterling and Kenny played very few origin games together at half and 5/8.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

From the players who I saw play, I think Peter Sterling or Brett Kenny should be inducted as the next immortals.

Brett Kenny was 5/8 for Australia on the 1982 Kangaroo tour keeping vice captain and immortal Wally Lewis out of the team. On the 1986 Kangaroo tour, Wally Lewis was captain and 5/8. Brett Kenny was that good a player that they had to find a spot for him in the Australian team, so they played him centre, thus keeping Mal Meninga on the bench. Gene Miles was Kenny's centre partner, so Miles was also rated better than Meninga on that tour. Meninga gets touted as a future immortal quite often. In the 1985 Challenge Cup Final of Wigan vs Hull, Kenny had a blinder and was named man of the match. In that game the old English commentator said about Kenny. You will never see a better stand off (5/8) in this country and that's if you've ever seen one. When Kenny played 5/8 for NSW against Lewis I read that NSW won 8 games to QLD 4. Even Lewis said that Kenny was his greatest opponent. I think Kenny scored doubles in all of Parramatta's premiership wins of 81, 82 and 83.

I rate Kenny the best 5/8 I have seen and obviously better than the immortal Wally Lewis, who I have a very high opinion off too.

Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns and Thurston are the 3 best halfbacks I have seen. Sterling was the best general I have seen play the game. Thurston is a definite future immortal and Sterling should be named one too.

Sterling and Kenny are the best pair of halves I have seen. It was a shame that NSW selectors have been so pathetic for so long. Sterling and Kenny played very few origin games together at half and 5/8.

You make some very good points, there, FF ...... well said.

Saintsified

Bench

I rate Kenny the best 5/8 I have seen and obviously better than the immortal Wally Lewis, who I have a very high opinion off too.

You've set the scene.

Old Timer

Coach

The issue is that the longer we wait to induct the greats of yesteryear the less likely that they will ever be inducted.
I was blessed to see Provan play and he was a colossus and Irvine just the best winger there ever was to play the game.
Likewise I agree with you re Stirling & Kenny also 2 of the greatest players to pull a boot on but even though they didn't have the amount of games that the current lot do, they did have significantly more opportunities than Provan & Irvine.
I would have no grievance with any of them being immortals but it would be incredibly sad that Provan is made immortal posthumously and I fear that is the obstacle for Irvine,

BennyV

Referee
Immortals concept is a joke. What started as a prestigious recognition of the true elites of the game from ears gone by has become a cheap, gimmicky popularity concept designed to sell papers.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Especially when wally Lewis and Andrew John got in there before him.
A few of these immortals were of course legends on the field but questionable to say the least off it.
Provan, though I never saw him play, has an unbelievable record on the field and perhaps even better off it, a true gentleman, astute businessman who never took a backward step