What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best actors or Best performances

Apey

Staff member
On the contrary to the other thread, who are your favourite actors? Or your favourite acting performances?

Mine:

Robin Williams - Not so much for his 'comedy' work (although I do like movies like Patch Adams and Mrs Doubtfire heh) , but more for his work like in Good Will Hunting. Was a favourite as a kid and still is.

Morgan Freeman - Shawshank Redemption. One of the most talented actors imo, can play a range of characters but I believe his role in Shawshank suited his style the best. His voice plays a big part in his ability, though.

Jude Law - I reckon this guy is a creep and I think that's why he is a good actor. Whenever he plays the bad guy, I believe it. Probably the best example here is in Road to Perdition.

Jack Nicholson - Lol, probably close to my favourite. Absolutely hilarious and is all class. At his best in A Few Good Men, As Good as it Gets and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Tom Hanks - Not as much of a fan as others, but he was great in movies like Forrest Gump and Road to Perdition.

There are probably a few more, but they're the first ones that come to mind..

elyod138

Bench
Christian Bale (not because of Batman, that's probably his least interesting role)
Gary Oldman
Benicio Del Toro
Tadanobu Asano
Edward Norton
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Daniel Day-Lewis
Cate Blanchett
Rachel McAdams
Amy Adams
Audrey Tautou

Youngish actors with potential (some aren't THAT young):
Ryan Gosling
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (yes, the kid from 3rd rock from the sun, he's a great actor, see Mysterious Skin, Brick, Manic and The Lookout)
Emile Hirsch
Ben Foster
Jesse Eisenberg
Anton Yelchin
Michael Cera (his comedic timing is amazing)
Jamie Bell
Anne Hathaway
Kristen Stewart (she was pretty poor in twilight though)
Olivia Thirlby

There are probably a lot I have forgotten about.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Denzel Washington - he's a genius, he can pretty much do any role and he's just captivating, it's not just that he's believable, you want to watch him, he's enthralling.
Morgan Freeman - Cannot think of a shit role he's played/
Leonardo Dicaprio I think a lot of people seem to overlook him because he hit the scene as a teen heart throb, but he has to be one of the most talented and versatile actors out there
Matt Damon - Another really versatile actor, when people think of him they tend to think straight to characters like Bourne and think he has limited range, but if you doubt his versatility, grab the movie The Informant, he is mind blowingly brilliant in that.
John Goodman - Maybe not one of the best, but he's the kind of actor who stands out in every film he is in, I genuinely felt he stood out more than Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski.

MSIH

Bench
Gosling, Damon, Bale, DiCaprio, Worthington, Benedict Cumberbatch, Nicholson.

Knightley, Chick who plays April on Home & Away, Phoebe Tonkin, Rose Byrne, Genesis Rodriguez, Emily Blunt, Vera Farmiga, Kate Beckinsale.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Big fan of Leo since Blood Diamond.

Nic Cage in the mid-late 90's.

Hugh Jackman

Arnie in the 80's-90's

Gary Oldman

For some reason i always liked Ben Affleck

Cliffhanger

Coach
Halle Berry - More for her earlier stuff like Bulworth.
Geena Davis - Before the year 2000
Robert DeNero - The Untouchables, Frankenstein, Taxi Driver, Wag the Dog, Ronin - so many top performances.

The Joker

Juniors
Robert De Niro
Denzel Washington
Christopher Walken
Tim Roth
William Fitchner
Ethan Hawke
Jeremy Renner
Christian Bale
Al Pacino

zombie jesus

Staff member
Some I have liked...
Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York
Sam Rockwell - Moon
Adam Sandler - Punch Drunk Love
James Gandolfini - The Sopranos
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Robert DeNiro - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight, Brokeback Mountain
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
Christian Bale - American Psycho
Ellen Burstyn - Requiem for a Dream
Al Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon
Johnny Depp - Edward Scissorhands
Ed Norton - Death to Smoochy

Cliffhanger

Coach
Some I have liked...
Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York
Sam Rockwell - Moon
Adam Sandler - Punch Drunk Love
James Gandolfini - The Sopranos
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Robert DeNiro - Taxi Driver, Raging Bull
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight, Brokeback Mountain
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
Christian Bale - American Psycho
Ellen Burstyn - Requiem for a Dream
Al Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon
Ed Norton - Death to Smoochy

Two of my all time favourite movies.My favourite performances by both actors.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Have you seen Death to Smoochy, he's awesome in it, also damn rootable in it, he's generally not the least bit rootable.

Big Pete

Referee
Yes.

It was bad too. Even the actors disown that movie.

Needless to say, Norton's had much better performances.

I still think his feature debut is his best performance - Primal Fear.

Cliffhanger

Coach
That's because it lost a lot of money and Robin Williams got an award for the worst supporting actor for it.

I thought the movie was brilliant in it's own way, it's clever, unique, thought provoking and funny. It's just not the type of movie that is going to appeal to masses, that said quality art generally doesn't.

Mader45

Juniors
I cant believe someone wrote Kristen Stewart.

That bitch has been putting on the same "i wish i was anywhere else but here" performance since Panic Room.

Latest posts