What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best backs for 2005

Best backs:I'm prepared for any remarks,so tell me who should be there

A Minichello
Tupou(from the Broncos)
M Gasnier
W Tonga
M Sing
D Lockyer
A Johns
NEXT TOP 5
A Mogg
C Gower
K Hunt
M Bowen
M Cooper

Broncodroid

Juniors
Tame Tupou's nomination I raised my eyebrows at though Mogg from Canberra as well! Let me get this right, you want us to nominate the Best Backs in the NRL competition for 2005 yet you have 2 players (one player having little to zero NRL experience) sitting their right amongst greats like Lockyer, Johns, Minichello and Gower? Possible, though unlikely, but who knows, who picked SBW emergin outside Laurie Daley and those close to the Canterbury camp.

Tame has a chance of emerging playing outside established representative players and outside the GREAT Darren Lockyer, though Mogg is part of a team on the slide with a new halves pairing and 2 wingers outside him with little gametime in this competition. It will be a hard task for Mogg to emerge as on the games top backs.

Karmichael Hunt is not one of the best backs in this competition at the moment, yes, he would be one of the best young emerging players with Brett Stewart in the backline though I am not sure he will leap forward as one our best backs in the competition. Like Tupou, he has a chance too in a strong team, though with the likes of Minichello, Bowen, Slater, Wesser and Hodgson in his position, he will find it hard to be mentioned in the same sentence in only his second season. If he can continue to play at the level he showed as a 17 y.o., he will be ready to move to the next level in 2006/07 IMO. Brisbane fans are simply hoping he does not fall to the 'second year syndrome' curse.

My top backs by seasons end:

1 - A. Minichello
2 - A. Roberts
3 - W. Tonga
4 - M. Cooper
5 - L. Rooney

6 - D. Lockyer
7 - M. Orford

Emerging backline:

1 - K. Hunt
2 - L. McDougall
3 - J. Monaghan
4 - M. King
5 - J. Lolesi

6 - K. Gidley
7 - J. Williams

[edit: post edited after re-reading. cheers ;)]

The Toecutter

Juniors
A ringading Sing might struggle to hold his spot.
Your on some way good shit calling out Mogg, but I respect a man that dumps his gonads on the line with a left field call.
Stuart deserves a spot there somewhere.
Cooper is over rated.
Tupou if he learns to hang on to the ball will make a massive impact next year. Expect Union to make an offer.

woodgers

Bench
Michael Monaghan. Top class and will lead Manly well. I am interested to see how his brother goes at the Roosters. He should thrive in a good backline.

Cooper is more important than Gasnier and will play well again this year. He is a top player.

An obscure one could be Mark Hughes. If Johns gets back to top form, he could be the one to benefit the most.

woodgers

Bench
What exactly is the criteria here?
Who you think will do well. Maybe he thinks Tupou will go really well such as Sonny Bill did this year and others have in the past. There is always a couple of surprises so I think the idea is to try and pick who YOU think.

Disco

Bench
Top Backline

A Minichello
B Slater
M Gasnier
W Tonga
L Rooney
D Lockyer
A Johns

Emerging Backline

B Stewart
T Tupou
I Solialia
K Hunt (dunno, i had to fit him in somewhere)
M King
J Soward
T Carney

ByRd

First Grade
My top 5 by seasons end are:

Bowen
Rooney
Cooper
Tonga
UTAI (his only out for first couple of rounds)
Lockyer
Johns

Next 5 would be:

Minichello
El Masri
Gasnier
Lolesi
Roberts
Barret
Sherwin

Mr Saab

Referee
billy slater
karmichael hunt (putting my neck on the line here)
Bowen
lockyer
luke lewis
gary tupou

innsaneink

Referee
kia ora storm said:
Top Five:

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Minichello
4. Hannay
5. Tonga

;-)

If he keeps improving an Aussie jumpers not far off.
I thought he represented Australia once, but I looked and Origin seem to be his highest rep honour so far.

Briza

Juniors
woodgers said:
Michael Monaghan. Top class and will lead Manly well. I am interested to see how his brother goes at the Roosters. He should thrive in a good backline.
Once Monas took over the Captaincy at Manly he really lifted and showed a maturity I didn't expect - leading Manly to 6 Wins from the last 8 rds.
Being Captain in 05 will hopefully see him carry this form over to this season.

thommo4pm

Coach
Monaghan still needs to learn how to talk to the ref's.
He got marched 10 metres too often for a captain last year after talking to the bloke with the whistle.
Just needs to tone it down a little.
He is passionate there is no doubt there.

Stranger

Coach
innsaneink said:
kia ora storm said:
Top Five:

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Minichello
4. Hannay
5. Tonga

;-)

If he keeps improving an Aussie jumpers not far off.
I thought he represented Australia once, but I looked and Origin seem to be his highest rep honour so far.
His boot is the only reason i rate him.... i mean hes just average. IMO.

Freak

Juniors
1. Minichello
2. Rooney
3. Tonga
4. Cooper
5. Rooney

Next best

1. Hunt
2. Walker :evil:
3. Tahu
4. Gasnier