What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best batch of juniors since the 80's ??

shaggs

Coach
This is going to come across badly and I am only commmenting on the belief that he had an arachnoid cyst.

I see people on the daily who have this. I have never understood why they operated on him. Arachnoid cysts are usually slow growing and don’t often cause any neurological affects.

I often wonder what the reason for surgery was and whether he could have kept playing, having yearly MRIs to monitor the size.

It was 20 years ago and diagnostics and surgical techniques have come a long way. But I also wonder what might have been.

I thought it was the big hit that actually saved his life? If he hadn't taken a bad hit, they wouldn't have sent him for scans, which is where they found the cyst.
I Think that was the assessment after the operation. At the time he was so hard to stop he was getting more than an odd accidental head high and there was some wild speculation as to the cause of the cyst. Coif could be right.

As for speculation on him changeing Sharks history I guess the "what if" also has to consider ,he went to Parra due to superleague war. All round sad ... Im just glad I did see him play for Sharks once.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Ritto had about a dozen operations over a year or two and sued John Lomax (Canberra) for the high shot that ultimately ended his career. How they could prove it was the shot from Lomax that caused the cist I'll never know (there were plenty of high shots he copped). Ended up settling out of court with the Raiders. The other player who you'd have to wonder how he is travelling now is Marty Lang......never saw a player get belted high as consistently as him.

bluefox1968

Juniors
Ritto had about a dozen operations over a year or two and sued John Lomax (Canberra) for the high shot that ultimately ended his career. How they could prove it was the shot from Lomax that caused the cist I'll never know (there were plenty of high shots he copped). Ended up settling out of court with the Raiders. The other player who you'd have to wonder how he is travelling now is Marty Lang......never saw a player get belted high as consistently as him.
I met Adam Ritson at Mudgee some years later, working for the NRL (promotion). Top bloke - obviously I mentioned that I went for the Sharks, and thanked him for his contribution (or something like that)...!
Martin Lang is on Twitter, and has some coherent things to say ;-) - so he seems to be OK!!!

coolumsharkie

Referee
I Think that was the assessment after the operation. At the time he was so hard to stop he was getting more than an odd accidental head high and there was some wild speculation as to the cause of the cyst. Coif could be right.

Ah shit you are battered aren't you? Yeah I get it now, my bad.

chewsta

First Grade
Anyone know how he is travelling these days?

A lot better than he was post footy.......haven't seen him for a few years but last time I saw him he was working for a bookie....mad punter and nice bloke

Yeah i saw him at Rosehill Races, working with a Bookie as well. Still quite a big bloke, had a real good chat with him, i was bliiiiiiind and he was nice enough to put up with my dribbling. Seems to have a pretty normal life now, considering how bad things were for him early on in his rehabilitation.

Latest posts