What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST GAME YOU EVER ATTENDED-What sticks in your memory

Quigs

Immortal
Sorry guys Ive entered this thread in the wrong section, Ive now posted it in the NRL pages....

Its okay I am old...... put my head into to many scrums.

Cheers
Quigs
bluesmall.gif
[/img]

pogo

Juniors
gday quigs..... canberra vs balmain grand final is up there but....

1973 or was it 1974 3rd test at the cricket ground vs the pommies, when ron turner got recalled and we won the series, an absolutely massive day at the footy.

1973 grand final for sure.

and to some , probably non descript games that i m buggered if i can remember the dates of

cronulla beating parra in their prime at endeavour under gibson with et/docko/carney/mcgaw and hatch shining

cronulla in the very very earlier days knocking off souths ( the bookies called it a stew)

and two others the sharks vs broncos at parra stadium play off
and cronulla with a team of kids including mick porter gives saints a bath at home when st george were about 5,s on!

the atmosphere at that test was unbelievable, i was pretty young then and worked with a few lunatics who convinced me it was the norm to begin at the first and last at circular quay, then progress to the ship inn then to the captain cook then the olympic and finally to the game.

well we were all a mess by the time we got to the footy and the series was on the line.

i was working with ronnie turner at the time and he was very confident we could get the money so i put the lot on the aussies.

the pommie kicker john gray was slotting them from everywhere but not to be denied the aussies thru changa langlands and beetson got us home.
langlands scored an awesome try in the hill scoreboard corner and the scg went wild.
that is a try i will always remember....so will my wallet!

great memories when test matches were the ultimate and not state games.

i would love to get a programme from that game....maybe some one has one that they could scan and post.

great memories indeed.

Booyah

Bench
I'll answer it anyway.

I'd probably say... our destruction of the highly fancied Dogs in the 2001 Semi.

Marty Moose

Juniors
1988 against Bears at Nth Sydney oval, record crowd and sharks down by 16 points, clock stops with 5 minutes to go, I turn to my mates and say if anyone can get out of this cronulla can, 3 converted tries later and sharks win by 2

Generalzod

Immortal
Best game Cronulla vs Bulldogs back in 1988, when Barry Russel scored a spectacular try from the scrum base.
That was excellent.

Sharkie73

Bench
The first game Kurt Sorensen played at home against Parra, We kick off parra winger steps the defenders and is odds on to score from the kick off. Then from the far side of the field all I remember seeing was Sorensen at full pase coming across in cover and absoulutly smash the Parra winger 5mtrs out from our line and I'm pretty sure winger only bounced once before hitting the fence in the south easten corner It was one of the biggest hits I've seen.

They where the days sitting in the old western stand.

Quigs

Immortal
BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS AT THIS MATCH...........happy reading

Easter Monday, April 1971.......Cronulla's First ever game at the SCG. Match of the Day against the Might of South Sydney. (Premiers 1967,68,70 and 71, runners up 1970)

FROM RUBGY LEAGUE NEWS April 17 1971 by Tom Goodman.

GALLANT CRONULLA'S FINEST HOUR

Last Saturday at the Cricket Ground will be remembered as Cronulla-Sutherland's day -- even though South Sydney won the match 16 - 15.

Not only was it Cronulla's first ever match at the famous Cricket Ground.
mm21-2.jpg

It was their stout hearted performance against the Premiers in a stirring match, which League President, Mr W.G.Buckley, said when congratulating Tommy Bishop and his team, had been a 'tonic' to League.

Cronulla - a team of "character," with its mixture of proven experience and raw-boned newcomers tothe big time - had thoroughly deserved the applause from all around the arena as they trooped off at half time leading 7 -4.

They were deeply moved by the standing ovation accorded themby the ground Members when they came wearily back after a gruelling contest, having failed to achieve the miracle of a touch line conversion of a dramatic try in the closing minutes.

It was a great struggle- a match of sustained pressure. Souths trying everything they knew to break down the Sharks' plucky defence; Cronulla counter attacking and for some time in the second half having Souths penned in their 25 yard area.

Souths' defence stood up to the hammering.

mm21-3.jpg

The Pic is The Sharks strong young shearer from Warren, Greg Allen, who had a hearty tussle with
Souths' John Sattler in the Scrums, is tackled by lock Paul Sait. Sattler is behind Allen.
No 10 is second rower John Macguire.

---------------------------------------------------------------
That was one of the most welcome features of this "tonic" match. The unflinching defence of both sides - a change from some of the games in which the art of scoring tries had been devalued by sloppy "tackling".

A such is was a six tackle success.

When I asked Souths Coach Clive Churchill what he thought of Cronulla's effort, the "Little Master" of other days, momentaritly shedding his smile of elation, said seriously, "Wonderful." He repeated, "Wonderful"

Churchill would have appreciated as much as anyone did, the work of present day "Little Wizard", stocky, red haired Tommy Bishop.

Bishop was the unforgettable master of ceremonies in this match, is such manner did he dictate his team's play, so that all their hopes seemed to rest on his sturdy shoulders.

There he was, dodging and sprinting, or throwing himself into the tackle.

At times fiery and indignent, at the crisis early in the second half when Souths had rushed on two converted tries, to lead 14-7, encouraging and cajolling. And his own work so creative - essentially creative and with a degree of deception.

He showed he was human, someone said, by dropping two successive balls in the second half, when Cronulla had the screws on Souths.

mm21-1.jpg
Ray Corcoran.

But he came to light with those two magical passes, whipped out to right winger Ray Corcoran, which brought two shock tries, the second right "at the death" after Corcoran's electrifying dash of 80 yards in which he beat two men and held of Bobby Grants attempt to cover

THIS IS THE QUIGS MEMORY OF THE MATCH....

I had the pleasure of witnessing this game first hand, as a spectator in the Sheridan Stand at the old SCG. tender age of 16.

It was a brilliant game, it had everything. It would be interesting to see the Old Rugby League Week front page again, as I remember they had several of the Sharks on the front page with a heading about something like the "Entertainers" have arrived.

What I will never ever forget about this game is the brilliant try Ray Corcoran scored in the dying minute of the game. He recieved a pass of Bishop and stepped around and through two or three close defenders.

Ray was on the right wing, the western side of the SCG and running directly to where I was sitting. I had a perfect view of what was unfolding.

He had taken the pass near his own 25 yard line and was in full flight just in Souths half. He had offloaded the first line of defence and had only souths fullback Eric Simms in front of him.

He left Eric clutching at fresh air and only had daylight in front of him.

I thought, yes, under the sticks Ray, under the sticks......we are going to beat Souths....

Unbelievably Ray continued on his path to the corner. Grant was chasing him but he had no chance.

Everybody around me was yelling to and pointing to Ray to go around and plant it under the black dot. All the Shark players were pointing towards the SCG post. But no, what does bloody Ray do, he swan dives in the corner. He covered 80 yards to score in the bloody corner.

Needles to say, the conversion was unsuccessful and Souths got us 16 - 15.

Ray was a brilliant attacking player, he could not tackle his mother, but Bishop would designate some forward to cover for Ray in defence. He was too valuable to the team as a strike weapon to be dropped because of his defence. I believe Ray was the closest side stepper I had ever seen to the great Changa Langlands. Ray was up there with Corowa etc etc.

FOOTNOTE. I had the pleasure of meeting with Tommy Bishop at Emu Park in 1990. I mentioned this game to Tommy and asked him what was going through his mind when Ray was heading to the corner. Tommy said he couldn't believe it, but he was so tempted to hand the ball to Ray and tell him to take the bloody conversion attempt himself.

Cheers
Quigs....

Drop bye and say Hi

Jonotallica

Juniors
I have 2, but I don't get to many games so it's not like the wins were anything special.

The win at ANZ in 99. I was with about 6 Broncos school mates, I had one other school mate who was a Sharky fan. We were getting nailed in the sledging, being outnumbered and all. A messy game, stinking humidity (march) and hot sun.. lots of errors. 8-6, to the Sharks and Paul Donaghy (i think that was his name) crashes over out wide right in front of us, and scores the winning try. We walked out of ANZ that day with a huge grin, and our mates were surprisingly quiet. That took the streak of wins to 6, 6-0 and the Sharks went on to be minor premiers.

The other one was the game this year at Suncorp. They played some fantastic footy that day. Come from behind victory, with the icing on the cake the Merritt try off the Sully banana kick. Good times. It was great to see the Sharks win up here for a change, first win in Brisbane, since the win in 99.

sharknows

Bench
1973 Grand Final Sharks vs Manly - toughest Grand Final ever and the day Steve Rogers showed that he would be a legend.

bubs

Juniors
Round 6, 1988. My first ever game that I went to that converted me from a AFL supporter to a Sharks supporter.
Sharks 38 Ponies 8.
Absolutely smashed em.

DJDL

Bench
1996 semi against the Broncos.
When Peach went through for THAT try to put them 10-0 ahead I was going absolutely nuts. Yelled so hard my head hurt! :lol:

Shark

Bench
64-14 against the Knights.

Or, the 'Peter Gow' match against the homeless twigs who used to live at Kogarah back then.