What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best players to never play for Australia

As a follow on from the other thread, what about those players who never got to wear the green and gold who were deserving. Who was the best?

And before any smart @rse says Ellery Hanley, this is about Australian-eligible players.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Kevin Hastings

Unfortunate to be born when he was

Sterling and Mortimer were standouts and constant QLD whinging ensured the undeserving Mark Murray was third cab off the rank.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Craig something or rather. Played on the wing for manly through the 90's.
Steve O'Brian Balmain winger in the early to mid ninities.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Preston Campbell

Dally M winner, Premiership winner, never played for state or country.

Peachey has a SL aus jersey, but he can probably make the list.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Nathan Blacklock (i mean proper tests, not againt the kumuls). stand out winger of his time and should have played origin and tests

Ken Nagas. Allthough he made the 97 SL Roo side which I regard as the official Roo team of the time, so to me he's played for Australia.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Anthony Mundine is an excellent nomination. Playing in a time where he was behind some all-time greats who were overall better than he. Who knows, in another time, the guy is a lock for at the very least NSW today.

Lockyer vs Mundine would've been good over the last few seasons.

hutch

First Grade
Nathan Blacklock (i mean proper tests, not againt the kumuls). stand out winger of his time and should have played origin and tests

playing for your country against png are proper tests, they are just as important as playing against other countries. and yeah, blacklock played against gb so he played for australia. he shouldnt have played more tests, but definately should have played origin.

typicalfan

Coach
Kevin Campion springs to mind, no surprise the Broncos, Warriors and Cowboys all got to the preliminary final or better while he was at the club.

Martin Lang, tremendous at the Sharks and Panthers probably deserved a test jersey at least once. David Barnhill is another one

Big Pete

Referee
Clinton Schifcofske
Brett Hodgson
Wade McKinnon
Rhys Wesser

Far too many awesome fullbacks meant that these great fullbacks never got a look in.