What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Sydney Pub for Dragons games?

Saint Doc

Coach
What do you think? Seeing as I'm normally either at the game, or its Friday night footy on at home, I rarely go to a pub to watch us. But this Sunday I'll be looking for somewhere...where do you guys reckon?

My criteria is:
- decent sized screen
- commentary on and audible
- cheap beers
- bit of atmosphere - people in jerseys etc.

I happened to be at the Maroubra Bay this afternoon while the Souths game was on, was fairly packed, lots of cheering and jerseys.

The leagues club is an obvious choice. Any others though? The Royal at Carlton is great on game day but am I right in thinking its pretty quiet the rest of the time? Where does everyone else head...Kogarah Inn? The Allawah? Oatley Pub?

jpaciocco91

Juniors
John Ibrahim's one in Kings Cross. You get to meet all the bikies and watch the Saints kick ass at the same time!
I've watched a few games in the family area of The Ashfield, its ok, but there is no atmosphere (this is Tigers area =P), and with two screens- a decent sized one always showing Euro Futbol and a small one doing NRL or union. No commentary though. From what I've heard the booze isn't that good either.

Last edited:
Royal Hotel at Carlton. They have Kent Old Brown on tap. Case closed!

But if we did have to think outside the box, try the Intersection Tavern at Sans Souci

Saint Doc

Coach
No need to think outside the box Mr Gourley! Going to the Inno carries too much of a stabbing / riot squad risk for my liking. Don't mind how obvious the answer is...as I said, its only because of the rare circumstances of it being a Fox game outside of Sydney (if you think about it, almost all Cowboys/Titans/Broncos/Storm games are Friday night) that is forcing me to have to go somewhere to watch it! I'm usually at the game or watching Nein (but i dont have fox). So if the Royal or the Leagues Club have a good turnout, commentary and beer, then I'm sold. Was just making sure there arn't any other good options that attract a vocal Saints crowd...

ShaiGuY

First Grade
Star City massive screen, Mounties ( parra sleeve sponsors I know) heaps of St George supporters. Banksia hotel has a good atmosphere as well.

The Major

Bench
I will wave to all you guys from at the game! Heading over on Thursday. One World Sport in Parra is where some of us go to on the off occasion that we cant make a game. But as far as places in the East and South go, i'd say the Taj is the obvious choice, followed by the "wah and/or the Royal. Not sure how the Coogee Bay Hotel might go? Mounties would be good for out in the West or perhaps Wenty Leagues. Maybe rock up to Northies in red vee and show them what it feels like to support a winning side.

RedVDave

First Grade
Club Central, in Hurstville goes alright massive big screen tv with clear audio and is usally pretty packed.

Rexxy

Coach
Star City massive screen

I love that place. 40+ beers, 25 + bourbons. Theatre seating, snack bar. If I could, I'd live there.

And how good's that space where they have 15 Teles above your head all showing different sports.

Allah, forget the virgins. This truly is heaven.

gorilla

First Grade
John Ibrahim's one in Kings Cross. You get to meet all the bikies and watch the Saints kick ass at the same time!
I've watched a few games in the family area of The Ashfield, its ok, but there is no atmosphere (this is Tigers area =P), and with two screens- a decent sized one always showing Euro Futbol and a small one doing NRL or union. No commentary though. From what I've heard the booze isn't that good either.

Get over to Grumpy's Hurlestone Park, cnr Duntroon and Canterbury.

Mainly saints fans and so many big screens you can always get a view. Safe and clean.

Actually has an outside giant screen as well for the choofers.

Bin going there about 20 years when i can't make a game and want out of the house.

STG-MACCA

Bench
Star city is the greatest place to watch sport, however the beers are not cheap, unless you jag a few wins on the tables or the slappers, and it covers your night out :)

If someone with a projector at home wants to throw the BBQ on and invite the forum, I'm in otherwise I think the Taj would be best for this Sunday.

big pat

Coach
good idea macca, so instead of starting another thread, anybody interested in the leagues club on sunday, game starts at 12pm, 9.45 toyota cup, and acka said schooners are $3 during the game, a show of hands would be good, just to get an idea if anyone is keen.

Acka

Coach
good idea macca, so instead of starting another thread, anybody interested in the leagues club on sunday, game starts at 12pm, 9.45 toyota cup, and acka said schooners are $3 during the game, a show of hands would be good, just to get an idea if anyone is keen.

The $3 schooners are limited to VB and VB gold.

Big Pat:
You got my text. I'll see you at the Taj.

Star city is the greatest place to watch sport, however the beers are not cheap, unless you jag a few wins on the tables or the slappers, and it covers your night out :)

If someone with a projector at home wants to throw the BBQ on and invite the forum, I'm in otherwise I think the Taj would be best for this Sunday.

I watched the Dragons Gold Coast game their on a Friday night, it was un-real like a movie theatre with a football game lol you can actually hear the commentry

big pat

Coach
The $3 schooners are limited to VB and VB gold.

Big Pat:
You got my text. I'll see you at the Taj.

thanks for that acka, would have been nice asking for a new, and getting charged full price, i'll probably watch the first half of toyota cup at home, then rock over, i was going to ask slaters, but after what you said friday night, it will be to far for him.:D

Latest posts