What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big 3 no more?

Clarkent

Juniors
The island teams never really have players that use the grandparent rule... The only one that has used it so far is Josh McGuire for Samoa... But it's rarely used in the island nation..

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't disagree on it being disgraceful but Australia are doing it and the rules are in such a way it makes it hard for England to exploit them.
If Australia are going to abuse the system which they have in the past year why shouldn't England be able to?
Even though I would very much prefer neither side did. My worry is the gap between England and Australia NZ is going to get wider.

When has Australia picked with the grandparent rule?
NZ had Nathan Fien under the grandparent rule.

As for residency picked players, Semi and Uate were bad. But before that England had Rangi Chase... At least these blokes played in the right comp.

England picking Aussies who have never watched a Super League game let alone played footy in England would be a new low.

If the gap gets bigger between the sides it's because Super League is declining not because Australia picked 2 Fijians in 10 years.

Pommy

Coach
When has Australia picked with the grandparent rule?
NZ had Nathan Fien under the grandparent rule.

As for residency picked players, Semi and Uate were bad. But before that England had Rangi Chase... At least these blokes played in the right comp.

England picking Aussies who have never watched a Super League game let alone played footy in England would be a new low.

If the gap gets bigger between the sides it's because Super League is declining not because Australia picked 2 Fijians in 10 years.

I never meant under the grandparent rule I meant Semi and I already pointed out Rangi Chase and said it shouldn't have happened.
But England picking a second rate kiwi in my eyes is different to Australia with all their talent and depth picking one of the best players in the code.
What's to say Mal won't pick another foreign athlete? He did it in his first game. You say England has plenty of islanders playing there but they're not of the same caliber as the ones playing here, if they were they wouldn't be playing in the SL.
I'm not saying Australia are better for that reason alone I'm well aware Australia are better because of local talent. I just feel this tiered system is unjust as it allows Australia and NZ a lot of benefits whilst denying England. Again I don't want to see England pick ozzies I just don't think the rules shouldn't prevent it. IF Australia were to make a habit of picking people like Semi then perhaps England would have to look at bringing ozzies in to compete.

Clarkent

Juniors
Nz are the worse when it comes to twisting the eligibility rule... They pick island players who were born and bred in aus through the years only because there parents use to live in nz

morningstar

Juniors
Nz are the worse when it comes to twisting the eligibility rule... They pick island players who were born and bred in aus through the years only because there parents use to live in nz

Who? Three Aussie born players in the last NZ squad and none of them are of pacific island heritage.

Last edited:

Clarkent

Juniors
Who? Three Aussie born players in the last NZ squad and none of them are of pacific island heritage.
Frank Pritchard is a Australian born player... But there's a few that the kiwis tried to get and failed... Players like reni maitua Valentine Holmes karmichael hunt david nofoaluma just to name a few... They would target island players the most because they have a strong connection to the families back home in nz

morningstar

Juniors
Frank Pritchard is a Australian born player... But there's a few that the kiwis tried to get and failed... Players like reni maitua Valentine Holmes karmichael hunt david nofoaluma just to name a few... They would target island players the most because they have a strong connection to the families back home in nz

Hunt was born and lived in Auckland until he was 13 and never played for the Kiwis. Valentine Holmes is of Maori heritage, Maitua & Nofoaluma never played for the kiwis despite approaches.

In recent times I can only think of Ben Roberts & Frank Pritchard who are Aussie born with pacific only heritage. Hardly an epidemic.

Pommy

Coach
Bryson Goodwin Ozzie born and raised son of a Kangaroo with an Australian mother picked for NZ.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Nobody counts Bryson Goodwin in anything.

The big problem for nations like Samoa/FIji/Tonga is that they don't really get access to players in their prime all that often.

They either have young guys who are talented but lack experience, or veterans who are experienced but have lost a step or two. Those guys who are genuine difference makers in their prime get snapped up by NZ/Australia.

Clarkent

Juniors
Hunt was born and lived in Auckland until he was 13 and never played for the Kiwis. Valentine Holmes is of Maori heritage, Maitua & Nofoaluma never played for the kiwis despite approaches.

In recent times I can only think of Ben Roberts & Frank Pritchard who are Aussie born with pacific only heritage. Hardly an epidemic.
Fair enough but I could go on all day about nz picking up all the island players that have only been playing in that country for a few years... People complain about the radradra drama but the kiwis have been doing that for years

morningstar

Juniors
Fair enough but I could go on all day about nz picking up all the island players that have only been playing in that country for a few years... People complain about the radradra drama but the kiwis have been doing that for years

Again who? Solomone Kata?

Off the top of my head the only other pacific born players to play for the Kiwis in recent times are Francis Meli, Motu Tony, Willie Talau, Hame Lauaki, Fuifui, Sam Moa & RTS. All of whom spent considerable time in NZ before repping the Kiwis.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Nobody counts Bryson Goodwin in anything.

The big problem for nations like Samoa/FIji/Tonga is that they don't really get access to players in their prime all that often.

They either have young guys who are talented but lack experience, or veterans who are experienced but have lost a step or two. Those guys who are genuine difference makers in their prime get snapped up by NZ/Australia.

Mainly because aside from isolated incidents, these guys grew up and played all their footy in Aus or NZ anyway.

Until the islands start developing their own (tough to see for obvious reasons) they're gonna rely on the whims of heritage players.

paulmac

Juniors

I think the rule that needs tightening is the Cook Is rule.Zeb Taia played for the Kiwis despite his parents being born in the Cook is & Zeb being born in Australia

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mainly because aside from isolated incidents, these guys grew up and played all their footy in Aus or NZ anyway.

Until the islands start developing their own (tough to see for obvious reasons) they're gonna rely on the whims of heritage players.

Correct and it's also why they will rarely challenge, especially when playing for the big 3 is more lucrative.

When the strength of teams relies on the depth of others it's unlikely they can hope for more than an occasional win.

Te Kaha

First Grade
I think the rule that needs tightening is the Cook Is rule.Zeb Taia played for the Kiwis despite his parents being born in the Cook is & Zeb being born in Australia

There is nothing to correct, all Cook Islanders are New Zealand citizens. You wouldn't get very far trying to stop a New Zealand citizen playing for New Zealand.

morningstar

Juniors
We should give Cam Smith a call up he's obviously got Anglo Saxon heritage somewhere.

If he had an english born grand parent and had not already played for the Kangaroos, you bet you could.

Just like its ok for NZ to call up Goodwin as he has NZ grandparents, not because one of them happens to be Maori.

Pommy

Coach
If he had an english born grand parent and had not already played for the Kangaroos, you bet you could.

Just like its ok for NZ to call up Goodwin as he has NZ grandparents, not because one of them happens to be Maori.

And this is my problem. Why is it ok for Australia and NZ to call up players who have played for the islands but not for England to call up players who have played for Australia and NZ?

Cook Islanders are NZ passport holders. It will take more than the RLIF to change that "loop hole"

It shouldn't be that hard I mean there's 4 nations have the same passport in the U.K.