What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest TPA Rorters ranked

mickeylane

Bench
Had dinner last night with one of the leading player agents and I was complaining how the Dragons don't pay TPA to attract players - he proceeded to tell me that was hog wash and Dragons do OK in the TPA dept - they just do it within the rules .

He then went on to tell me in his opinion the clubs that are using TPA to the extreme to get certain players under the cap.

Worst offending clubs flaunting TPA in order:

1. Parra
2. Storm
3. Nth Qld
4. Broncos
5. Roosters
6. Bulldogs
7. Gold Coast
8. Warriors

Interesting rankings!

giboz71

First Grade
To be honest, it annoys me when people bag the club about the TPA issue. I've long suspected we're no worse than any other club, we just do it within the rules. Fines are the worse penalty we've copped.

I'd rather that, than be like Parra, Melbourne and the Dogs where their whole season was thrown in the bin due to them basically being caught cheating.

And I've never thought the Roosters were flaunting the cap, they had to get rid of RTS, Maloney, SBW and Jennings in one year. Not really consistent with a club systematically cheating.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Yep when people in here complain about our tpa situation I have no idea how the hell they come up with the bs. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Sure parra dogs and roosters ect may be better at it or better at hiding it but doesn't mean we don't have them or don't try.

giboz71

First Grade
Yep when people in here complain about our tpa situation I have no idea how the hell they come up with the bs. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Sure parra dogs and roosters ect may be better at it or better at hiding it but doesn't mean we don't have them or don't try.

And it's not like we've signed complete nuffies in recent years.

Duges, Widdop (twice), Benji, Vaughan, Hunt, Sims. None of these guys were exactly cheap and sure TPA's would have played a part.

SGMax

Juniors
Love the cap but it needs to be enforced for it to spread the talent and ensure the survival of all clubs by limiting their expenditure.

I have posted before about a solution along the lines of fantasy league.
* A committee is set up with agreed guidelines for player valuations.
* Every player is given a cap value based on position, experience, representative achievements, position, talent, age etc.
* When negotiating, the player can be paid whatever he can obtain but the cap will record the agreed value.
* TPAs are allowed but irrelevant to the cap calculations.
* Players will not be signing for less:
- to be with a certain coach or
- to move back with family / homesickness or
- for successful clubs / premierships
* clubs will not be able to chase every top line player that comes onto the market and in doing so improve their cap position.
* with clubs limited to a few rep players each, there will be enough talent for expansion of the game to proceed.
* clubs will be encouraged to develop talent as a cheaper option rather than trying to buy the whole team.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Funny, the top five list l saw read like this ...............

1 - Roosters & Melbourne
2 - Melbourne & Roosters
3 - Roosters & Melbourne
4 - Melbourne, Roosters, Bulldogs, Parramatta & Cronulla
5 - ( A Country Mile )

Probably all clubs guilty to some minor extent but some obviously are blatant to the extreme.

FlameThrower

Bench
Obtain success on the pitch, membership,crowds and major sponsors all climb on board. This then attracts quality players and means we can retain the nucleus of the squad. The less you need to rely on TPA, deals..the better!! As so many of those go AWOL which then forces those players out. Gasnier and Hayne were big name players ripped off on TPA's not forthcoming..( I also recall Craig Wing may have been shafted on TPA's) said it before the TPA's are smoke and mirrors and the NRL is doing nothing about it..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
And I've never thought the Roosters were flaunting the cap, they had to get rid of RTS, Maloney, SBW and Jennings in one year. Not really consistent with a club systematically cheating.

Exactly Giboz. Roosters get thrown in as cheats but they shed quality players to get another in. Losing RTS, Maloney, SBW and Jennings compared to what the other cheats do is proof of that. You look at their squad and Guerra, Cordner, Nappa, Topou, SKD, Pearce etc were all players that came to the club that were not rep players or played origin. Which rep player have Dogs lost in the last 10 years? Somehow they can not only keep what they have but bring in another.

Of the list Parra,Roosters and Dogs top 3 Sydney clubs. Considering you have so many Sydney clubs to compete with they benefit the most as they get the cream of the crop in NSW. At least the Eels have good juniors and put money into their junior leagues.

What $hits me is Dogs over the cap by 180k and get find peanuts last week. They should take Hoppa from them as he apparently is on 140k. That would be a better fine. And send him to a rival. BMoz moved for 100k more from Saints so we lose him to the scum by cheating and they get a slap on the wrist for it. Wow how fair is that. Doust should have been the first to complain but hey, BMoz has been injusted most of it so they did us a favour.

If teams are caught over the cap simple. No players can be signed outside the club for 2-5 years and they have to release a player or 2 depending on the severity. 1 player for each 100k over the cap. And not any player, one of the top 5 players that has been poached from a club.

possm

Coach
The TPA system was designed to help the Bronco's, Storm , Roosters and Dogs get around the cap. The recent signing of Tedesco is a great example with him signing a Roosters contract fro 700k and the remaining 500k being TPA. It was reported that Hoppa on a salary of 800k at the Eels, moved to the Dogs on a 150k contract with the remaining 650k being TPA.

TPA negates the need for a salary cap because it circumvents the limits the cap puts on a club. The number of TPA per club is unlimited and the amount for each TPA is unlimited. TPAs are a rort and should be overhauled asap.

If I remember correctly, it was Doust who said in an interview last season or the season before that gaining TPA was near impossible.

So if the Club is obtaining TPAs for Dragons players, why the big problems with Dugan and Packer. Surely 700k salary and 300k TPA would suit Dugan in November 2016. Same for Widdop and Packer. Same for all our key first grade players. And Millward said we did not pay 1m for Hunt, maybe it was 700k salary plus 300k TPA.

More transparency is required for players contract figures, salary cap figures and TPA figures. If clubs want to use the brown paper bag method, they should be heavily fined and their license forfeited and sold via auction to interested entities. If this was the rule/policy, you would feel sure no more illegal payments to players.

In addition all players should be audited in the off-season by the NRL. A thorough audit would reveal most illegal payments.

Minh

First Grade
I believe that every player should have a base minimum market value based on their ability and value as a player very close to their true worth, for example Tedesco should have a minimum price tag of 900k to 1 million and unless unsigned for that amount over a time frame can they decrease the market value....

Latest posts