What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater > Karmichael Hunt

bartman

Immortal
Clearly not at present, because he was never selected or picked above Slater for that role.

I think the whole wet-dream Slater-is-the-best-fullback-ever commentary was a bit over the top though?

simmo1

First Grade
Probably the most exciting player going around.

But best ever? Please...

Loudstrat

Coach
Hunt was never better than Mini. Hunt is way short on Slater. Slater is equal to Stewart. Hunt is also worse than Bowen.

Butters

Bench
Clearly not at present, because he was never selected or picked above Slater for that role.

I think the whole wet-dream Slater-is-the-best-fullback-ever commentary was a bit over the top though?

I didn't take any notice of the commentators. All i really saw was Slater getting a hat-trick, making line breaks and scoring length of the field trys, something Hunt is yet to do for Australia.

And whenever Hunt plays fullback the commentators all collectively blow their loads over his kick returns, which is the only note worthy thing he does when he plays there for rep sides.

bartman

Immortal
Well the commentators blew their loads like never before tonight over Slater!

As someone has said though, he hasn't really been tested defensively. It doesn't look like he will be in the near future either though...

Big Pete

Referee
I'd still like to see Slater tested. No doubt he's been our best player so far this campaign and hats off to him but he's never performed well under adversity.

Bman26

Juniors
As someone has said though, he hasn't really been tested defensively. It doesn't look like he will be in the near future either though...

Centenary test match, Isac Luke goes clean through from abotu 15-20m out, Slater runs him down and drags him down about 15cm short of the line, Hunt wouldn't have the pace to even get near luke in this situation.

Big Pete

Referee
Hunt was never better than Mini. Hunt is way short on Slater. Slater is equal to Stewart. Hunt is also worse than Bowen.

Hunt's way better than Minichiello now and Bowen seems to have a Jeckyll and Hide style of play in him. He'll be superb one year, average the next and so on.

Big Pete

Referee
Average when he's injured?

cutie is average in peak form!

:lol: Honestly you need to watch more Broncos games, Hunt's been superb through out his entire career and has only continued to excel.

The one thing most fans seem to be forgetting about Hunt is his age.

You may not believe me but Hunt made his International debut at the age of 19 and has since gone onto star for his nation (Australia not New Zealand dummies :p) and his state (again it's Queensland not Auckland, nice try but no cigar). The amazing thing is Hunt is only 21 and is considered a veteren of the game and being compared to players who have reached their peak. Hunt still has a lot more to offer and one has to think we've already seen the peak of the likes of Minichiello, Slater and Bowen.

Tommax25

Bench
I fail to see how hunt is considered a better fullback than stewart, he is better in one aspect, kick returns. slater is good, but the best EVER? please. He was not even guarenteed to be starting fullback for this tourney (although I personally think he would have over stewart if both were fit). however, slater is the least dependable under the high ball out of the three by a fair margin, I rarely see hunt or stewart dropping bombs but slater does so more often.

watatank

Coach
however, slater is the least dependable under the high ball out of the three by a fair margin, I rarely see hunt or stewart dropping bombs but slater does so more often.

Agreed.

Another thing people forget is that in Origin Slater couldn't secure his fullback spot for the whole series...Meninga couldn't trust Slater at the back for the full 80 so Hunt started the game there. Not really something you would expect from supposedly the best fullback in the game.

aqua_duck

Coach
SLater and Stewart are both better gamebreakers than hunt, hunt is more reliable and tougher but thats as far as it goes, he simply hasn't got the same speed, acceleration, footwork, and try scoring ability as slater or stewart. Hunt is a good ball player but his running game is average, he lacks the speed to be a devastating ball carrier

Meth

Staff member
Hunt is good for kick returns and his combination with Lockyer- and, being one 21, I am sure will add to that no edd as he matures as a footballer.

Its Slater's time right now- a few years ago, this sort of talk was revolving around Bowen. Now he is hardly in the frame.

Mr Saab

Referee
Agreed.

Another thing people forget is that in Origin Slater couldn't secure his fullback spot for the whole series...Meninga couldn't trust Slater at the back for the full 80 so Hunt started the game there. Not really something you would expect from supposedly the best fullback in the game.

Exactly.
Slater had an excellent game in attack last night, but his attempt to catch a bomb in the 2nd half was laughable. Hunt and Stewart would have swallowed that with their eyes closed....Slater went off for the big jump when he had no reason to.
When it comes to the BIG games (origin) it is Hunt who has Billys number.....this yr proved that.