What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird in Newcastle for lunch with Browny

Elephant Hunter

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/1463954beafb6d52ce32276a7b11cd77

Sharks star Jack Bird meets with Newcastle Knights officials
Barry Toohey, The Daily Telegraph

CRONULLA State of Origin star Jack Bird has shown he is seriously considering a lucrative offer from the Newcastle Knights after meeting with club officials for a second time on Sunday.

Less than 24 hours after helping Cronulla to a narrow one-point win over the Knights on Saturday in the Shire, Bird made the trip up to Newcastle for lunch with Knights coach Nathan Brown and head of football Darren Mooney.

It is the second time he has held informal talks with the Knights after Bird met with Brown during the pre-season when he was in Newcastle for the All Stars game.

It is understood the Knights have tabled a three-year deal worth more than $2.4 million and have told Bird he will be able to play in his more favoured position of five-eighth if he links with the club.

Brown described Bird as a potential marquee signing who could help take the club forward.

“Jack will make his decision over time and we’d obviously love him to come but where he goes and what he does, we are no further down the track than we were two or three weeks ago,” Brown said.

Brown is optimistic the Knights performance against the Sharks on Saturday won’t have hurt the club’s chances but claims he has no idea which way Bird would go with the Sharks keen to retain him and Parramatta also weighing in with a big offer.

“I think the fact we competed well, I would like to think that Jack Bird would think, if he was on our side, he could have helped us do a little better,” Brown said.

“From a recruitment point of view, the fact we have obviously improved a lot on last year, it can only help us.

“But I wouldn’t know how long Jack will take to make a decision.

“People often ask me do you think you are a chance and I’d say the fact we have had a meeting with him, we are a rough chance but how good a chance are we — he doesn’t give much away, Birdy.”

perverse

Referee
Stop telling me all about it and get it done. At least he's taking the offer somewhat seriously, enough so to keep meeting with us. Probably more seriously than most take us. It's a good chunk of coin, but it's a good chunk of coin for a good, competitive player that can fill a spine position for us. He's not going to be any worse a 5/8 than someone like Josh Reynolds.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'd be more happy about this potential development if it meant Hodko got a tap on the shoulder instead of Lamb.

perverse

Referee
I'd be more happy about this potential development if it meant Hodko got a tap on the shoulder instead of Lamb.
Surely that won't happen. Even being super generous, Hodkos shelf life is very limited.

Even in fairyland, how many more years could Brown expect Hodko to hobble around doing sweet f**k all?

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't see Lamb getting asked to leave but Brownie isn't going to play Hodko is reserves and I think I'll have a stroke having to watch another 44 games with him at half.

perverse

Referee
I don't see Lamb getting asked to leave but Brownie isn't going to play Hodko is reserves and I think I'll have a stroke having to watch another 44 games with him at half.
It's going to murder me, too... but our final game of 2018 has to be his final game too. If Brown is going to be fair dinkum to the squad, then Lamb could force his way in in 2018 too if we got Bird. The only way I could see that not at least as a possibility would be if we actually started winning, which would be weird.

perverse

Referee
lol, Hodko wouldn't be able to get away with this 2 or 3 kicks a game bullshit if he was partnering Bird in the halves, either. How many games of having no kicker in the team would Brown cop, I wonder?

PhilGould

Bench
Hopefully there's some sort of exit plan for Hodko at the end of this season. I'd be willing to pay half of his 2018 contract for him to go over to England.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Hopefully there's some sort of exit plan for Hodko at the end of this season. I'd be willing to pay half of his 2018 contract for him to go over to England.
Id pay double just to get him out of the team

Hes also our captain ffs. How did we get ourselves into such a mess

Glendale

Juniors
Hodkinson would be somewhat more threat ing if he had a guy with genuine game breaking ability outside him in number 6. Lamb looks like he'll develop into a tidy player, but he isn't a game breaking five-eight. I reckon he's a genuine halfback. I could totally get around a 6. Bird 7. Lamb halves pairing.

perverse

Referee
Hodkinson would be somewhat more threat ing if he had a guy with genuine game breaking ability outside him in number 6. Lamb looks like he'll develop into a tidy player, but he isn't a game breaking five-eight. I reckon he's a genuine halfback. I could totally get around a 6. Bird 7. Lamb halves pairing.
The only thing that Hodko is threatening is slots' sanity, regardless of who plays outside him.

Apey

Staff member
He'd be more threatening in the sense he'd be passing to a more talented player than ever before. He himself wouldn't be doing anything more threatening.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
Maybe Browny can use some of his ESL contacts to find a nice soft landing for Hodko for 2018. I honestly wouldn't care if we were still paying 100% of his salary

Burns

First Grade
I really don't see the hype in Bird. Always seems like a angry, frustrated young men. Feels like Boyd Mk II - could be world class when he feels like it.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
A lot of people seem to be divided on bird. Some see him as a bit of an over rated plodder, others see him as a gun.

It really is something we need to take a punt on, let him play 5/8 and hope he kicks on.

Latest posts