What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Austin is a better 5/8 than Anthony Milford & Mitchell Moses

hellteam

First Grade
he became a 5/8th starter at 21.

Yeah right, so a different age then?

Say what you want, anyone thinking reasonably should know the difference 3 years of playing in the halves makes.

Look at Ben Hunt, he was the world's worst halfback in 2013 then played a full season and was great in 2014.

betcats

Referee
he became a 5/8th starter at 21.

And couldn't hold that spot, he struggled like moses is. His time is FG at Penrith was fairly underwhelming for a hyped prospect coming through, even with his size he was bad defensively. He is kicking on now though which is good.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Yeah right, so a different age then?

Say what you want, anyone thinking reasonably should know the difference 3 years of playing in the halves makes.

Look at Ben Hunt, he was the world's worst halfback in 2013 then played a full season and was great in 2014.

so at age 23, ben hunt only just managed a regularly starting halves spot and was rated world's worst halfback.

and you think this point helps your case against austin?! :lol::lol::lol:

ek999

First Grade
Lol you just supported his argument you idiot. Hunt in his early 20's was unable to cement himself as the regular halfback at the Broncos. Come age 24 and 25 he cemented himself not only as the Broncos half but as one of the best players in the comp. Give Milford and Moses a few more years they could easily do the same

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Lol you just supported his argument you idiot. Hunt in his early 20's was unable to cement himself as the regular halfback at the Broncos. Come age 24 and 25 he cemented himself not only as the Broncos half but as one of the best players in the comp. Give Milford and Moses a few more years they could easily do the same

except he's trying to denegrate austin, who's making good a year earlier than hunt did.

betcats

Referee

This.

I have been unimpressed with Both Moses and Milford this year but give them 2 or 3 years and both could be great players. Though I don't see Milf as a 5/8..

ek999

First Grade
except he's trying to denegrate austin, who's making good a year earlier than hunt did.

Blake Austin is less than a year younger then Hunt. Are you saying Austin will play better this year than Hunt did last year?

And he didn't say anything bad about Austin, just that it isn't fair to compare his performances at 24 to a 20 year old

redvscotty

First Grade
Milford will be the better 5/8. He is 2 months older than Moses but already on the fringe of origin.

5/8 doesn't come easy but it will happen.

He'd only be on the fringe of Origin as a back up FB surely, and even then only in case Inglis' knee f**ks out.

I'm assuming QLD will pick Inglis there instead of Slater because if they pick Slater then say goodbye to the SoO shield again this year.

Milford has been garbage at 5/8 this year.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Blake Austin is less than a year younger then Hunt. Are you saying Austin will play better this year than Hunt did last year?

And he didn't say anything bad about Austin, just that it isn't fair to compare his performances at 24 to a 20 year old

no i'm verifying that both are better and both austin and milf have played similar number games of football.

milford is 21 in 6 weeks, if you want to be particular about austin and hunt's age might help if you're consistent.

gUt

Coach
Austin is hopeless and also not a very nice person. Boy I really hate him. He needs to smarten his act up

Red Bear

Referee
At this point he is. The other two have better upside - but that doesn't mean they will hit that potential.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Haven't read the thread so don't know what's been mentioned.

Wish Blake all the best, he deservedly won the tigers player of the year last year and seems to have a steady head on his shoulders. I wanted the club to keep him for one more season but due to our messed up salary cap and him wanting a guarenteed starting spot it didn't work out.

He has been good for the raiders and is showing exactly what he did at the tigers. An electric running game and lots of enthusiasm. He is also still showing the flaws and why I think he will never be a top shelf half. Poor kicking game, average defence, suspect passing and huge ball hog. He blew a simple try on Sunday when he had a 2 on 1 and went himself instead of passing to the unmarked left winger.

There's no doubt Moses has been dissapointing however Austin is 4 years older then him and has only locked down a starting spot this year. A fairer comparison would be too see how Mitch is fairing in 2-3 years time.

Latest posts